Hadleigh007

Which track car with a £1500 - £2000 budget,

yep I'm inclined to agree that the MX5 doesn't have enough power and by half way through the first season you'd be bored wishing you'd spent the money on something more powerful . It will have to be something that is fun on the road too, having a quick look there don't seem to be any track days locally!! Someone has suggested a Mitsi 3000GT anybody had any experience with them or know anyone who has?

I imagine that a Mk1/2 MX5 may be slightly underpowered but a track prepped Mk3 would keep most folks busy on track. Not the fastest thing down the straight but it will keep you entertained in the corners.

Not commenting on OP, but I see so many folks blast past me down a straight in their Evo/Supra/Impreza and then come to a standstill at the corners - I personally enjoy driving on the limit of the cars ability, not necessarily mine (well past mine sometimes!).

Comes down to taste though.

A lot depends on how you like a car to feel as well. Do you want something with loads of grip that needs driving very precisely or do you want something that moves around underneath you a lot?

I'd expect both of those to be out of budget though, sadly.

You're probably right Dan, but I've seen quite a few 944 S2's for less than 2k and there are usually plenty of modified 328's too.

thanks for posting them it's great to see different options and if nothing else you can see what they go for, you never know a bargain might crop up especially through the winter. What do people think of the 944 S2 is it too old or a worthy contender? I think I'll be keeping an eye out for an already done 328 :D

I have a MK2.5 MX5 as my track day car. It is not powerful, but the handling is sublime and teaches you so much about driving. Controllable oversteer, and because of the merely adequate grunt, teaches you to preserve corner speed. £2k should get you one that has had suspension and a roll bar already fitted.

My MX5 is faster round a lap than my E30 335i, datalogging to prove.

Final plus point is the track time running costs. Brakes last 5 days, tyres about the same. You won't manage that in a heavy, powerful car. My E30 did disks and pads all round every single day.

Loads of my on-board videos here on Youtube if you fancy taking a look

Martin.

Another vote for the 328i. Buy a saloon and they're cheaper still - 600 quid for a strong one. Parts are almost for free and they're very quick around a circuit with the right mods. Even with a standard engine, if you lose 150 kilos of weight (easy), fit some decent tyres and some £200 coilovers you will be plenty fast enough to begin with and can develop it from there. The standard final drive is very tall (2.93) so look for a 3.07 from a 328i auto or a 3.15 325i diff. An LSD is desirable but you won't really need it in the dry with good tyres. You can buy a complete M3 Evo rear axle and 3.23 LSD for £400 these days.

Final plus point is the track time running costs. Brakes last 5 days, tyres about the same. You won't manage that in a heavy, powerful car. My E30 did disks and pads all round every single day.

A set of tyres lasted me 18 months on the M3, pads lasted 8 trackdays, I never changed the discs.

Buy right, buy once.

That's very true, it's no use having a great car that you can't afford to take on track and drive hard. If you're worried about stuffing it into the barriers or worried about the running costs then there's just no real point having it. 've just gone halves with a friend on an old MX5, i'm looking forward to giving it a good hiding. I'd previously been driving another car on track that I knew I couldn't afford to fix if I crashed it or something broke. It really limited me as I just had to build in too big a safety marhin and the thrill just wasn't there.

The 328 is very appealing as well, especially the extra power it has. I'd be looking for a saloon as well. Get them while they are cheap.

This is my E36 328 build thread:

http://forum.bmw5.co...terior-updates/

Suspension wise i'm going for Gaz Gold Pro's (full coilover rear) with pilowball topmounts front and rear. Might be a bit harsh on the road with those topmounts, depends if your driving it to and from tracks only or you're going to use it in the week abit.

Brakes, i've taken my old Z4 setup, bigger than the E36 M3 upgrade yet smaller than the E46 330 upgrade, I wasn't a fan of the 330 upgrade (on my Z4) because I didn't upgrade the servo and it gave a quite long pedal travel, It doesn't bother most people i don't think.

I had the Z4 calipers and discs in my garage they only had 50,000 miles on them, so i thought i would chuck them on and see how they feel. And i'm really impressed with them so far :-)

944 would be a good choice as they handle beautifully. They are overweight, though, and not particularly quick. That said, that 944 S2 looks like exactly what you are looking for

It's the end of the season now so there will be lots of track day and race cars popping up all overt the place. Why not buy one that someone's spent a few seasons getting right?

Nick Froome

Edited by bolide