Hadleigh007

Which track car with a £1500 - £2000 budget,

Which track car with a £1500 - £2000 budget,

Looking for rear wheel or 4wheel drive, with a bit of grunt, doesn’t have to be bmw just want something that is a lot of fun, but won’t cost the earth to run and will be reasonably reliable. Live in the lakes with easy access to Scotland so might want to keep it as a road registered car so I can take it for a blast locally too.

currently looking at:

330 ci coupe

Z3 2.8

Supra

MR2 Turbo

Subaru Imprezza

Celica GT4

Integra Type R

Anyone have any experience of these models? Any thoughts appreciated.

Not into track days myself, and it's not the most powerful car in the world, but for budget track days I've always seen the MX-5 being highly reccomended on others sites.

Why does it have to be rwd/4wd? A 106gti stripped and caged is 875kg and will show a clean pair if heels to most things this side of Porsche, Noble etc on track

Lol he wants reliable! So stay away from French! Alot of my mates have saxos / 106s etc n spend more time fixing than driving! I even did the same when I had my clio willy. Admit they are good fun though!

Tidy e36 328 sport (lighter than e46 330) £1000 and then £1000 on:

M50 manifold

Buckets

X-brace

Lowering springs

And a fluid change

Also strip extra bits out

On the mx5 route I've heard from other trackdayers that they ate massive fun but can be frustrating with lack of power. There is always a few mx5 & e36 at trackdays, they are popular choices for a reason.

The z3 would be the same as a e36 possibly lighter? But more expensive to buy unless you can pickup a winter soft top bargain!

any reason you choose the 328i over the 330?

Cheaper, lighter, just as quick, cheaper to modify, doesn't have DBW throttle.

Buy a 328i, stick a cross brace from a convertible on it, some decent brake pads, better suspension and then go hit some tracks.

You should be able to get a decent Scoob for that budget.

Fairly quick out of the box and reliable if they have been maintained properly.

Thanks for the replies, I am looking for a car which once purchased should do three maybe four seasons without too much work or getting bored of it. I’ve ruled out the front wheel drives and saxo/106’s because they need regular work as they break quite often when put into track use and I’d rather buy the right car the first time round, rather than grow out of it and want to change it after the first season.

Between the E36 328 and E46 330 which are likely contenders the 330 is 110 kg heavier stock, but has a 0-60 of 6.3 vs 7.1. I know the 30-70 times are probably more useful but being the newer design is the E46 not better handling as stock? I accept that upgrading brakes and suspension and a couple of cross braces on whatever you choose will be the first place to spend the cash. I wouldn’t look at anything heavier stock than 1500kg because I have a 530d and have had an XJR and you really know the weight is there when you throw them into the corners.

Out of the Japanese options does anyone have any knowledge of the cost of living with one? The Subaru imprezza for example, yes they are within budget but are parts expensive and do they break often? Same with the GT4 or Mr2 Turbo?

The 328i is quicker than the book figure. There's bugger-all in it between a 328i and 330i, and you've got plenty of cheap options for putting a LSD into a 328i, and with a shorter ratio. And no, the E46 doesn't handle better - that's a moot point anyway, as no road cars handle well on track as standard, so you'll end up modifying it, in which case it doesn't really matter what the starting point is.

GT4's aren't particularly quick standard and MR2's are a b*stard to work on.

I had a JDM Impreza wagon for a couple of years that never let me down once.

Expensive if you need belts/clutch work though and the spark plugs are a PITA to do.

I have an st205 gt4 up the boost to 1.1bar with boost controller, decat exhaust and a filter and you are looking at 300bhp+ very reliable however they are getting on a bit now and parts need replacing which are v expensive e.g cost me £2k to refresh all the suspension

Very underrated cars IMO rare on the roads too which means v cheap insurance

Edited by Plainlazy87

Can't believe no mention of a mk2 golf gti

Stripped and caged is one fast track toy

Agreed. The white one in my sig had a vr6 in it and was real good fun.

Think the op wants to avoid FWD though.

Edited by red35

.. also any thoughts on getting a stock car and converting it yourself vs buying one where the work has already been done. It's cheaper to buy one already done but is the reason most are sold that they have already been thrashed to death by that point?

Agreed. The white one in my sig had a vr6 in it and was real good fun.

Think the op wants to avoid FWD though.

Would pay to fully read the original post doh

out of those i woud have an integra however they can rust badly and are a bit over valued imo.

a clio 182 would be fun on track, rwd is fun but i am loving fwd still and on track you dont need rwd unless you want sideways

I had a '95 JDM Impreza WRX from '98 to '04. Did 70K miles on it on top of the 35K it had already done and other than routine servicing, tyres, discs and pads, etc. the only parts I replaced were a power steering pump and a lamda sensor.

It finally went pop just over 100K miles. Usual story of heat soak and detonation on number 1 (or is it 4) cylinder, not helped by running its UK miles on SUL when tuned for 102 RON Japanese fuel courtesy of a Mines ECU and assorted HKS bits.

A great car though and at less than 1300kg (before they got fat and heavy) it was pretty nimble.

I would have got it back on the road but by then the bottom had fallen out of the market (due to increased chaviness) and with the repair costs to do it properly, new clutch (might as well if the engine was out), replace tired suspension, tyres, service and it would have worked out to almost what the car would have been worth.

I still miss it though :-)

I have a friend who bought an MX5 for a track car and he loved it and rated it as more fun than the Megane R he had before it.

I have a friend who bought an MX5 for a track car and he loved it and rated it as more fun than the Megane R he had before it.

By contrast, I drove a Ma5da series prepared MX5 race car and it was bloody boring. They really lack power on track. Fine on somewhere like Brands Indy maybe, but Silverstone, Snetterton, Bedford? No chance.