Chi

Retrofit Heated Seats without BMW Loom. WIP

Ok so some of you may have seen I have a set of M5 seats which are already heated. now BMW want 60quid for some wire and connector which cost me a total of 6.99 and 25 mins in my scrap yard.

This write up is for anyone who does not want to pay a fortune for something they can make themselves with a soldering iron and some time and also has the heated pads inside their seats. if you dont you will need to look at Liams thread.

all the bits can be had out of a breaking BMW but there are 2 connectors that I just could not get hold of as I kept finding cars that were pre facelift. if you want to do this cheap you will need to find a breaking BMW. if your gonna buy the parts from BMW just get the loom yourself.

Ok step one go to a scrap yard and equire these bits.

Connector3.png

Part 1-4 can be had at most places in the car but the part we need will be connected to the fuse box under the drivers seat while your there in the fuse box get all of these two parts aswell.

connector1.jpg

Part 8-9 in the picture.

connector2.png

Ok from the picture above we need 4 different 61130007257

part 1 61130005197 is all over the car pretty much connected to every block from the cluster to the lcm ect just cut a big lump off. we need this for the yellow seat plug connector and the switch panel you will need about 12 of these just in-case

part 7 61130007257 this is used for both the seat connector and switch panel you will need 4 of these i couldn't find these anywhere so got them from BMW for pennies

part 8 I could not find the part no for this for love nor money and finally got it from BMW head office and they sent me one for free but its pennies as well 61138369644 this part provides power to the switch panel

connector5.png

in the picture above we need part 2. we only need a couple of these but just grab the whole fuse panel from the glove box as im sure it will come in handy for another retrofit.

now while your at the car there are two long looms that run the length of the car. rip these out and take with you this should be well enough for any wire you need.

I paid exactly 5 pounds for all of these bits from my local scrappy. Told them i took it out of a rover lol. and the rest of the money was bmw for the little bits I couldnt get.

Ok so this is how you wire the bad boy up.

heatedseats.png

Ingore the fact that all of the wires cross over each other. each wire is separate to itself if you get where im comming from. if you dont just ask.

I will add more pictures ect this weekend once I have started to fit the loom.

Chi.

Will the wiring from a car with the earlier individual switches in the centre console be compatible? There's an E38 728i in my local yard, I might go and retrieve some wiring tomorrow if it's similar enough to be worth it.

It will have all the bits you need bar 7 and 8 that I couldn't get. As these are both facelift connectors but they are both found in e46 ect

You must have good scrap yards were you live as the ones round here do not let you in anymore so no chance of getting any bits like that off.So in my case the bmw kit was the best option and i payed less the £50 for mine delivered.Even if i could of got into the local scrap yard they would of wanted prob £20 for those wire bits then petrol to get there so £50 seamed quite cheap for the ease as well.

^ ^ You're not a million miles away from Bridges at Pease Pottage, big old-style breakers yard with loads of BMW's in there, but they're all prefacelift in E39 flavour...

Talking of which....

Chi, from the looks of things, that's all post facelift. Have you looked into using the separate, individual switches for the heated seats that fit pre-facelift cars?

@ tris.

Yes I have and it's much easier than this. Power ground ibus and two wires to the seat. From the switch from what I can remember. Can have a delve for you. Are the contours heated then?

It is the same I think mate, ground is already there for the seat motors, su just 2 wires to each seat and the panel (which I wired up when I put the electric seats in) to worry about.

It's the stripping of the seats that I can't work up the enthusiasm to start! Although it's getting colder now so a warm arse in the car would be a nice thing....

I made the loom from scratch like you did mate, no way BMW were getting £60 from me for some wire!

Good work Chi. Good to have this info for heated seat fitters. Mind if I put a link to this in my heated seat how to?

So did you wire up the blind and memory at the same time or are you selling the blinds bits?

Liam, when are you coming over to do mine........ Bedford isn't that far from me, and I don't want any of these "I live in Norway" excuses you keep churning out..... ;)

He he. I'm actually in UK for the next day and a half but probably too busy stroking my caramel full leather bits :). And working through the wife's shopping list :(. Seriously tempting to actually touch some contours though! :).

You just need to do what I did - have the passenger seat out for a week or two as your 'familiarisation exercise'. Wife can sit in the back and be chauffeured - infinite leg room. Learn on the passenger seat and you'll have the drivers done in less than a weekend no sweat.

Wifey has her own car (E87) so its not an issue, it's the time, or lack there in of that's my issue! It was 0 degrees when I left for work the morning though, so it will get done sooner rather than later!

I've acquired some adhesive, so I'm good to go really.

I just did this retrofit, but there's nothing happening when I press the button for the seat warmer. The only thing i'm unsure of is did I connect the K-bus cable in the correct place. Do I need to code this option to my car?

I just did this retrofit, but there's nothing happening when I press the button for the seat warmer. The only thing i'm unsure of is did I connect the K-bus cable in the correct place. Do I need to code this option to my car?

No coding needed.

Do one of the three lights come on when you press the switch? They will only come on if the full circuit is complete.

http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/107333-bmw-e39-oem-heated-seat-retrofit-kit-52110002132-is-no-longer-available-so-lets-create-our-own/page-2