Chi

Retrofit Heated Seats without BMW Loom. WIP

No coding needed.

Do one of the three lights come on when you press the switch? They will only come on if the full circuit is complete.

http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/107333-bmw-e39-oem-heated-seat-retrofit-kit-52110002132-is-no-longer-available-so-lets-create-our-own/page-2

Okey that's relief, I was trying to look around in NCS, SSS and INPA :P but didn't find anything. None of the lights came on. But seems like I might have place that K-bus cable in the wrong place after looking at those picture in your thread. I just place it on a free slot, since none of the 3 diagrams I found on the wide world web showed in wich slot that cable should go.

Hi there I'm in Stavanger too - looks like a nice car not sure if I've seen it driving around.

Sounds like you may have it sorted, but I might be able to help if you're still stuck since I retrofitted heating myself. My how-to might help with wiring, although I didn't have to do the power and k-bus side myself since my car was already fitted with electric blind...

http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/71108-how-to-oem-front-heated-seat-retrofit

I have spare switch centre we could try in case there is a chance yours is broken.

Funny I thought all cars in Norway have heated seats as standard!

Hi Liam, I think I have seen your car around here in Forus a few times, and I love the colour of your car :D 

I think I got it sorted out, I changed places with the K-bus cable and now the heater on the passanger side is working, but not driver side. 

Gonna take a look at the 2 wires that goes to the console and to the seat and see if I can find the problem.

Yeah I think most of the norwegian cars do have heated seats, I found later after I bought the car that my car was imported from germany so this car didn't have much extras. 

Looks like I'm not the only Norwegian getting ready for winter  :D

Sorry if this is not the right place to ask, but I got myself some new leather seats with heating in it, and I got the old buttons with a wheel (just a potentiometer?) and unfortunately can't find any diagrams for them. The button has a 6-socket plug with 5 wires.

Thank you in advance :D

Hello and welcome. Wow we got a Stavanger crew forming here! :)

You can find diagrams here...

http://www.bmw-planet.com/diagrams/release/en/index.htm

They are a very old java application so can be a real pain to get working on new browsers. You probably need to make exceptions in java configurations for the bmwplanet site, and if using IE need to disable loads of activeX settings (like allow unsigned scripts to run blah blah). Maybe easier to use firefox if that doesn't sound like fun :). Let me know if you get stuck - I'm not an expert but at least have it running on mine.

So your car is pre-98 wiring change and your 'switch centre' is the (up to) six individual buttons instead of the later single module with up to 8 buttons, and you have obtained the individual heated seat buttons with the dials on them, right?

You need to follow the old E39 diagrams then - 95-98 diagrams in the link above. Alternatively E38 diagrams will be essentially the same.

It's quite simple I believe - essentially just power and illumination to the switches, then wires from the switches out to the seats. All the 'intelligence' is in the buttons themselves - no k-bus and all that to worry about.

Good luck :)

Wow another one from Stavanger.

I got mine working on both side now, just need 2 new contacts for the switch since both of them were pretty much broken. And since BMW dealer here only sell those contacts in a pack of 10 I have to order them elsewhere.

Powering the old ones are pretty easy as I recall, you should just head out "knoksen" and cut of the contacts from 2 of the E39 they have in.

Oooh! What is knoksen??! Is it possibly the 'traditional' type of scrap yard where you can wander around the piles of cars and remove what you want pay some cash? Is that right? If so - where is it please! :)

It's a car breaker in Forus, next to Kvadrat. Yes that's right they have 2 E39 in there now and 1 E38 where I got my leather armrest :P.

Just go into knoks.no and there you have their adress.

Hello and welcome. Wow we got a Stavanger crew forming here! :)

You can find diagrams here...

http://www.bmw-planet.com/diagrams/release/en/index.htm

They are a very old java application so can be a real pain to get working on new browsers. You probably need to make exceptions in java configurations for the bmwplanet site, and if using IE need to disable loads of activeX settings (like allow unsigned scripts to run blah blah). Maybe easier to use firefox if that doesn't sound like fun :). Let me know if you get stuck - I'm not an expert but at least have it running on mine.

So your car is pre-98 wiring change and your 'switch centre' is the (up to) six individual buttons instead of the later single module with up to 8 buttons, and you have obtained the individual heated seat buttons with the dials on them, right?

You need to follow the old E39 diagrams then - 95-98 diagrams in the link above. Alternatively E38 diagrams will be essentially the same.

It's quite simple I believe - essentially just power and illumination to the switches, then wires from the switches out to the seats. All the 'intelligence' is in the buttons themselves - no k-bus and all that to worry about.

Good luck :)

I tried both Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer, but no luck with the wiring diagrams :(

E39 ->9/98 seat heater switch:

Pin 1 (grey/red) - Light module X38, pin 1 / connecting point X908 (button backlighting)
Pin 2 (white/blue) - Seat heater X740, pin 2 (temp sensor)
Pin 3  - Fuse F32 (voltage supply)
Pin 4 (brown/black) - Ground point
Pin 5 (white/yellow) - Seat heater X740, pin 3 (voltage)

Seat heater X740, pin 1 - Ground point

Have a go following these instructions to setup an exception for the WDS website in Java if you havent already...

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?2212207-How-to-access-BMW-Planet-com-wiring-diagrams

If using IE you have to also go into activex controls and I just set everything to what sounds like the minimum security (run unsigned scripts without prompting etc etc etc), then it normally works.

I also find there is something strange specifically with the old E39 diagrams - they behave differently to all the others. In IE I have to turn on compatibility view for the site in order for the menu on the left to appear, but then the diagrams dont show on the right so I have to turn compatibility view off again!! Works OK in Firefox though.

Maybe try these direct links to the diagrams for your car...

Drivers seat...

http://www.bmw-planet.com/diagrams/release/en/svg/sp/SP0000006318.svgz

Passenger seat...

http://www.bmw-planet.com/diagrams/release/en/svg/sp/SP0000006319.svgz

If that doesnt work you might need a viewer plugin for svgz files, although I think they should be supported in browsers by default.

Pin 1 is plus for the backlighting because its dimmable?

Yes, like all instrumentation backlighting. The supply comes from LCM and all lines are divided from connection point X908 behind glovebox (all wires on that connector have the same wire colour).

So I figured it all out and got it all done in 3 hours or so. That including preparing for heatpads in the back.

Thank you all for the help! :D

Edited by Craxo

As were speaking of heat pads... Whats the wattage of the OEM ones? And will I have problems using aftermarket pads bought from eBay? I bought two which is 24 watt each.

Hmmm sounds fairly low - OEM is 120 W per seat. Might struggle to warm your bum with 24 W.