BMW 5 Series Owners Board uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Thank you for visiting bmw5. If you'd like to show your support for the forum, please consider becoming a Gold Member

Photo
- - - - -

Turner Motorsport ecu chip...

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Richard Turner

Richard Turner
  • Current Car:E34 535i Sport

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:14 PM

Anyone had one fitted? From all the reviews I read they seem to really improve things!

#2 urquattro

urquattro
  • Locationfareham hampshire
  • Current Car:BMW E39 540iA , MB W126 500sel

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:49 PM

I was also keen to know more, they seem well established, maybe a question on M5Board will get some responses

#3 Richard Turner

Richard Turner

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:53 PM

At 150 quid and 40+ brake for a m30, New redline of 6800 makes one hood engine!

#4 Sir Anthony Regents-Park

Sir Anthony Regents-Park
  • LocationSheffieldshire

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:12 PM

40+ brake for a m30, New redline of 6800 makes one hood engine!

That's where it starts to unravel. 40 bhp from a chip? Absolutely no way. 10, perhaps 12 or 13 maximum.

6800 from a standard M30? That's a good way to blow it up.

Classic BMW Service and repairs.

#5 jamesno1

jamesno1
  • LocationGlasgow
  • Current Car:e90 330i m sport

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:16 PM

A newbie with a post or two, named Turner pops up on the forum to promote a chip by TURNER Motorsport...............

Really?????

newcar1-1_zps44e6f8f6.jpg

#6 Richard Turner

Richard Turner

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:31 PM

Congratulations on your eye spy skills, I'm advertising a big American outfit from a mining town in south Yorkshire because my surnames the same!

They were originally James conforti chips but now TMS supply them, don't read any bad reviews on net, them along with EAT chips seem to get only good reviews.

#7 Sir Anthony Regents-Park

Sir Anthony Regents-Park
  • LocationSheffieldshire

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:18 AM

Congratulations on your eye spy skills, I'm advertising a big American outfit from a mining town in south Yorkshire because my surnames the same!

They were originally James conforti chips but now TMS supply them, don't read any bad reviews on net, them along with EAT chips seem to get only good reviews.

Jim Conforti!

The chips are good, but 40 bhp is good 'ol USA bullshit - but as they say, bullshit baffles brains! E34 and E32 sixes are all catalyst prepped via the ECU, regardless of whether the car has a cat or not. The lambda loom is all there in readiness and the ECU is catalyst spec with lean mixture and retarded timing to make it run hotter. A simple remap to advance the timing and richen the mixture transforms the way they drive but the actual power gain is in the region of 10 bhp. To get 40 bhp from an E34 535i requires a gaslowed head, raised compression, a different cam, freeflowing exhaust manifold and system - that will get you up to around 240 bhp. To get 250-260 requires a raised rev limit and fot thios you require the con rods from the M88 engine.

#8 whiskychaser

whiskychaser
  • LocationOldham UK
  • Occupation:Ex transport manager and company director. Now truck driver reading sits vac ads

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:09 PM

Jim Conforti!

The chips are good, but 40 bhp is good 'ol USA bullshit - but as they say, bullshit baffles brains! E34 and E32 sixes are all catalyst prepped via the ECU, regardless of whether the car has a cat or not. .

Not strictly speaking true as some cars (like mine) left the factory without a cat. That said, I find your analysis refreshing. In the words of 1066 And All That, is putting a chip in a tired old engine really 'a good thing'? I think not but what do I know?
AFIK, there are only three pits left in Yorkshire so going down the pit may not be an option for OP. He doesnt seem to have a car so who would blame him for trying to earn a crust? :-)

Oct 2000 E46 330i sport. Feb '92 E34 525i auto (departed)

#9 Idiot

Idiot
  • LocationSW
  • Current Car:e34 540iT/6, e34 525i/5

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:23 PM

that cause the emmisions are different in SA whiskeychaser or just the age?

#10 whiskychaser

whiskychaser
  • LocationOldham UK
  • Occupation:Ex transport manager and company director. Now truck driver reading sits vac ads

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:36 PM

that cause the emmisions are different in SA whiskeychaser or just the age?

Hard to believe, but I dont think they fitted cats until 2005. The upside for me is I dont exactly struggle to pass the emissions part of the MOT :-)

#11 Idiot

Idiot
  • LocationSW

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:47 PM

in SA they didnt? thats crazy!

#12 Sir Anthony Regents-Park

Sir Anthony Regents-Park
  • LocationSheffieldshire

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:28 PM

Not strictly speaking true as some cars (like mine) left the factory without a cat. That said, I find your analysis refreshing. In the words of 1066 And All That, is putting a chip in a tired old engine really 'a good thing'? I think not but what do I know?
AFIK, there are only three pits left in Yorkshire so going down the pit may not be an option for OP. He doesnt seem to have a car so who would blame him for trying to earn a crust? :-)

All E34's are catalyst prepped. Some have a catalyst and many don't, but the ECU is catalyst ready and the wiring plug is there ready for a lambda probe.

#13 whiskychaser

whiskychaser
  • LocationOldham UK

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:04 PM

If my car were Euro spec I would agree. But there is no wiring plug for an O2 sensor and never has been. Technically, I should have an exemption cert for the MOT but I dont. On the plus side, you do get a sump guard as standard :-)

#14 Idiot

Idiot
  • LocationSW

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:32 PM

ahhh sweet man. so you dont get issues come mot time?

#15 whiskychaser

whiskychaser
  • LocationOldham UK

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:30 PM

ahhh sweet man. so you dont get issues come mot time?

In 8 years only one tester said he thought maybe I should have an exemption cert. but he but passed it anyway. I would add that the MOT stations I go to are not soft. No point going there if they are

#16 Ustbutler

Ustbutler
  • LocationThe Black Country
  • Current Car:(o)(o)=[]

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:47 PM

In the real world the only way a chip can help is if the original chip was very restrictive from factory like the early e34 540

S,butler

Fotor0416234844_zps57997370.jpg                              IT'S A E THIRTY FOUR THING, EVEN IF I TOLD YOU .. YOU WOULDN'T  UNDERSTAND -

#17 Sir Anthony Regents-Park

Sir Anthony Regents-Park
  • LocationSheffieldshire

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:06 AM

If my car were Euro spec I would agree. But there is no wiring plug for an O2 sensor and never has been. Technically, I should have an exemption cert for the MOT but I dont. On the plus side, you do get a sump guard as standard :-)

I very much doubt BMW would make one engine loom for one market and another loom for another market. The BMW parts catalogue lists the same engine loom for South African models, and the engines were fully built up units made in Munich and sent to Rosslyn for assembly into cars.
As I've said - there is one engine loom, and one ECU. It fits all, regardless of whether your car has a catalyst or not. On the M20 and M30 12v engines the plug is very obvious on the inlet manifold side of the engine block, less easy to spot on a 24v car.
A February 1992 525i does not require a catalyst for a UK MOT test.

#18 whiskychaser

whiskychaser
  • LocationOldham UK

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:29 PM

Yes, BMW sent out knock down kits to ZA. But there are differences from the Euro models - the radiator is peculiar to ZA and the shock top mounts are the older pre 7/90 535i type. I have read they are tougher so am quite happy about that :-)
Had a look through the VOSA MOT Inspection Manual and you are right. Cars first used 31.7.86 to 31.7.92 only need to pass the Basic Emissions Test - CO 35% and HC 1200ppm. Nobody has ever asked for it, but I can prove my car was 'first used' before 31.7.92 as I have a PDI inspection stamp dated 7.4.92 in the owner's manual. It seems that provided you have your ducks in a row, you could stick my engine in a later car and only have to pass the BET. Something I will have to remember :-)
None of which has anything to do with said chip for which I apologise.

#19 TheEnd

TheEnd
  • LocationBirmingham
  • Current Car:'98 540i

Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:39 PM

The ECUs will have a coding index on the side, they can have up to 6 different settings, with/without cats, manual/auto regular or low quality petrol, and various other little settings like with or without traction control, and country versions.

C05E is the usual UK manual regular fuel settings, A05E is the premium fuel ones, and there are lots of different levels inbetween.
Each ECU is able to run all the different varieties, but they do need to have the coding updated to select what mode.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users