jootyboi

iDrive Software Update/Sat-Nav Read Error...

Hi guys,

I have the 2005 E60 model and I was wondering if it is possible to update the iDrive software as it dose hang at times and takes some time to boot up. I called BMW today and they said they will update the software in the car for me for a couple of hundred pounds which sounded strange as they cant give me an actual price, also I can see that price shooting up once its booked in...

Is there a way of doing it yourself???

Also:

My Sat-Nav refuses to read my disc, I have looked at the disc and it look fine without any scratches. Should I try a lens cleaner? or is this not advisable to do?

Please advise me as all of this is bloody annoying...

Thanks

I have the bmtech lead and software. Is this the right one to use.

If so is there a step by step guide.

Deano, you can look on bmwcoding.com or similar. The issue is, even if you know what you are doing, its risky. If anything goes wrong, you can brick modules. Even people like Blood whom clearly know what they are doing will not do it as a service.

I think BMW also disclaim against a module failure ....

I have the bmtech lead and software. Is this the right one to use.

If so is there a step by step guide.

Just food for thought, when I had my car updated with ISTA at my local dealer it took 12 hours for the whole car. When I did it myself with an OBD2 cable it took 10 hours just to do the CCC (nav module) applications software, I do not recommend doing it your self, it`s your car and upto you but if you could wind up with a 2 ton paperweight. my 2 cents.

Or...

If you have an LCI model, wait for the security recall to arrive, (which I guess will happen). I guess the fix will need reprogramming. If what the dealers say is true that they have to update the whole car with Progman then you should get an update for free!!....

If only it were that simple!!!!

To add my 2 cents to make a total of 4 cents with BLooD's contribution... I have ordered a diagnostic cable and software but would never dream of trying to update the whole car. No doubt it would take days with a high spec car, would need a quality power supply - not a charger. You would also need to be sure you had the latest/correct updates etc. Problem is that even the dealers will try to get you to sign a disclaimer regarding failed modules during an update. Shocking really from the manufacturers dealer network.

Or...

If you have an LCI model, wait for the security recall to arrive, (which I guess will happen). I guess the fix will need reprogramming. If what the dealers say is true that they have to update the whole car with Progman then you should get an update for free!!....

If only it were that simple!!!!

To add my 2 cents to make a total of 4 cents with BLooD's contribution... I have ordered a diagnostic cable and software but would never dream of trying to update the whole car. No doubt it would take days with a high spec car, would need a quality power supply - not a charger. You would also need to be sure you had the latest/correct updates etc. Problem is that even the dealers will try to get you to sign a disclaimer regarding failed modules during an update. Shocking really from the manufacturers dealer network.

Never heard of signing a disclaimer, they try to warn you about it failing and that you may be liable for the failed module but if you have a BMW warranty (factory or AUC not any third party rubbish either) then your covered,

Edited by BLooD

If you have an AUC warranty then I guess you would be covered, though if you request an update which caused a failed module which was not part of a necessary warranty authorised 'repair' then I would suspect not. I have knowledge of at least two occasions where dealers have said that the car owner would be liable for failed modules, (on non warranty cars), and have asked the owner to sign against this.

Crazy really... if the dealer stuffs up a module updating the vehicle it should be their liability to fix it... You should get your car back in the same condition it was left with them, not worse!!

If you have an AUC warranty then I guess you would be covered, though if you request an update which caused a failed module which was not part of a necessary warranty authorised 'repair' then I would suspect not. I have knowledge of at least two occasions where dealers have said that the car owner would be liable for failed modules, (on non warranty cars), and have asked the owner to sign against this.

Crazy really... if the dealer stuffs up a module updating the vehicle it should be their liability to fix it... You should get your car back in the same condition it was left with them, not worse!!

In the days of progman, it was notorious for killing the bluetooth module which is why i guess, they now use ISSS (integrated software service station) with ISTA/p and ISTA/d doing the work and it is much more stable than progman ever was but old habits die hard. Just a side note the ISSS server and all bits and bobs can be bought on the black market for a cool 20k if you want one lol

Black Market price £20k!! LMAO!!

Cheaper to buy a new car!!... Quite fancy an F10!

I wonder how a garage would manage their liabilities if it came to light that they were using a knocked off or black market computer system? I wonder how many Indies actually have legit software?

Black Market price £20k!! LMAO!!

Cheaper to buy a new car!!... Quite fancy an F10!

I wonder how a garage would manage their liabilities if it came to light that they were using a knocked off or black market computer system? I wonder how many Indies actually have legit software?

Not many and the few that have autologic dont really know how to use it.

Suspected as much!

I guess many of the Indies are time served BMW mechanics, (I'm a chartered engineer so absolutely refuse to use the term engineer or technician), who get the blues working for a dealer and set up on their own. Absolutely nothing wrong with this as these guys are time served and hopefully know a bit more than the spotty apprentice charged out at £120 per hour by the dealer!

The same as the washing machine repair 'spanner' who calls himself an engineer!! :mrgreen:

I have Virgin not Sky but temperature increase still occurs!

In 'mainland' Europe the term 'Engineer' is protected. In the UK anyone who feels like it can call themselves an engineer!

The same as the washing machine repair 'spanner' who calls himself an engineer!! :mrgreen:

I have Virgin not Sky but temperature increase still occurs!

In 'mainland' Europe the term 'Engineer' is protected. In the UK anyone who feels like it can call themselves an engineer!

I am