jootyboi

BMW E61 535D....WHAT TO LOOK OUT FOR WHEN PURCHASING?

Hi there,

I am new to the forum and very new to BMW's. I have always had VW's/Audi's and thought its about time to check out what all the fuss is about on the BMW side.

I am currently looking to buying a E61 535d. I know the general in's and out's of what to look for when buying a car but I wanted to check if there are any common faults to look out for around the car?

Any common sensors that go? knocks around the car? faults? what miles these engine are good up to?

Some stuff like that would be helpful.

Please help as soon as anyone can as I am looking to buy one very soon.

Thanks

Have a look in the E60/E61 area this question has been answered there.

Things that come to mind

Swirl flaps

Thermostats, check the running temperature of the engine, this can inhibit DPF regen.

If fitted sunroof drains.

Nice to see you are looking at the 61 and not the ugly 60 :-D

Also check the range of the remote key and that the radio works as it should. There is a diversity amplifier located under the roof spoiler that is common to both and goes tits up and they're a couple of hundred to replace.

Have a look in the E60/E61 area this question has been answered there.

Things that come to mind

Swirl flaps

Thermostats, check the running temperature of the engine, this can inhibit DPF regen.

If fitted sunroof drains.

Nice to see you are looking at the 61 and not the ugly 60 :-D

Thanks for the heads up! I know what you mean about the E60, lots of people have asked me why you want a E61 but I think they are awesome.

Thanks again

Also check the range of the remote key and that the radio works as it should. There is a diversity amplifier located under the roof spoiler that is common to both and goes tits up and they're a couple of hundred to replace.

Hello mate, What is the range usually so I know how far to test it from?

Thanks

The roof spoiler?

Where do you mean exactly?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hello mate, What is the range usually so I know how far to test it from?

Thanks

If you're getting 10 - 15 Mtrs line-of-sight -it'll be fine.

I've just bought one... as Blobby mentioned... get rid of the swirl flaps ASAP if they're not already done.

The roof spoiler?

Where do you mean exactly?

Its actually on the tailgate, the 4 torx screws holding it on are accessible from the glass opening section. With the spoiler removed (I just had a towel on the roof and laid it on that on my mates car). There is a black box, pop the lid off that and you have access to the diversity amplifier, this is connected to the AM FM radio and remote key operation.

When buying one of these cars, make sure EVERYTHING on the tailgate is working. Everything is fed from above through the channels in the hinges. They are famous for the wiring becoming brittle and breaking, causing a fault. The fixes are fairly easy but a pain in the proverbial.

If you're getting 10 - 15 Mtrs line-of-sight -it'll be fine.

I've just bought one... as Blobby mentioned... get rid of the swirl flaps ASAP if they're not already done.

The range of keys on my M5 is crap, I need to be within 3 metres :-(

Check the Nav works, mines shagged and has been since I bought it (only realised the day after I got it) - Currently back at the garage being fixed

you need a new diversity aerial

Yes I know, and when it stops working, I'll get one. I can handle not spending a few hundred ££s and just open the car from less than 9 feet.

Check the Nav works, mines shagged and has been since I bought it (only realised the day after I got it) - Currently back at the garage being fixed

Mate mine is the same, It wont read the disc at all and if I leave the disc in the car when i get in it takes around 2-3 mins for the iDrive to boot up. It's sooo annoying!! I have tried a DVD lens cleaner but the was a waste of time as it has done bugger all! I need to get it sorted and need to get the iDrive updated some how as that is really slow also...

:-(