alan1272

the 518i and the m52...

138 posts in this topic

Hey John

RealOEM/TIS is what I checked up on this but... that's a diagram of a Getrag 240 matey. 

This is a photo of my Getrag bolted to my M50 just before I dropped it into the 28

IMG_4094_zpse7bdf5b9.jpg

See how the spines on the body of the tran match up to the lines on the diagram.

If you select the details of my car in palce of your car (same but with 1 year difference) you'll get the same diagram which is Getrag 

Daz

Edited by dazh90

ok, these are gearboxes i've used in my rally car.

on the left: a ZF from a e36 318ti compact .

on the right: a Getrag from a E30 318is, which is the one i have used in my e28.

Photo1098.jpg

Edited by alan1272

Yup, a Getrag 240 indeed. My ZF manual from my E34 525i donor car has a very smooth outer body like the one on the left. I still have it so, should pop it on ebay i guess :P

Daz

For the purpose of anyone else following this guide for their own project...

This is what you get if you use E34 M50 mounts (UK RHD)

IMG_7363_zps83d5cc96.jpg

The reason I am using Steel Angle Bar to create a new platform for the mounts to sit (Please ignore metal washers on rubber mount, temp spacers for experimenting with). Same on other side. 

IMG_7365_zps280ce538.jpg

Please excuse the orientation of the photo. You get the point... it needs to come forward to allow for rocker-cover. Also not a good idea to be THAT close..

This in my opinion is better than the E28 mounts. With E28 mounts, you CAN NOT fit a brake booster (Clio, Porsche, ANY) without serious modification to.... I dunno what you would modify, relocate the booster? I dunno... not worth thinking about. 

Hope this helps folk

Daz

Edited by dazh90

Somes times the pictures in realoem are only representitive. In this case its a gearbox. If you look at the 2nd line down it says S5-16-THMH and thats a ZF. There are other entries for 240s. Both were fitted.

Heres a picture of my car seconds after its old engine and ZF manual box were extracted from it.

post-28888-0-86184000-1397802320_thumb.j

Haha awesome! That is indeed a ZF :P Strange stuff

The thing to bare in mind with all these different gearboxes is that the associated shift parts are all different as well.

The following are for a ZF S5-16, and I know this because I identified the vehicle by using the vin in realoem.

post-28888-0-24168800-1397886052_thumb.j

Be careful however because the drawing is genetic. Its the part numbers in the list below that are important.

As far as I know, three different manual boxes have been used behind an M20 fitted to in an E28. The, Getrag 240, 260 and ZF S5-16. Other usable boxes are those used with M4x in E30 and E34s, and whatever is used in an E36 fitted with an M4x or M5x. The latter may be a good bet for those converting a 525e as they need a low ratio diff, such as a 3.09 as used in an auto eta (medium case) or 535i (large case). The latter would be good because a lot of them are limited slip diffs.    

dazh90 likes this

i've had a couple of half-days working on the exhaust; i've managed to get as far as the first silencer for which i've used a cherry bomb (that takes me back to my yoof! :lol:  ) as they're cheap, easy to work with and pretty robust.

towards the front i've used a jetex 'Y' joint and made it a sleeved fit with the modified down pipes from the Donor car. the rest of it is made from old bits of exhaust that my friends and i have collected. it's mostly 2.25" - 2.4" dia pipe.

20140423_121312_zps1fa6edb6.jpg

20140423_121301_zps44a33c29.jpg

i know it's not a fancy stainless system that costs twice as much as all my cars put together, but i'm taking my time and doing the best i can without spending any money :-D

Dude that's awesome. Well done. 

Do you know if you can achieve a really DEEP sound from Cherry Bombs? I'm yet to decide on my exhaust set up but ultimately really want a DEEP burble..

Daz

EDIT: After a bit of research on the Glasspack, I've found that it's pretty much.... straight through  :mrgreen:  therefore, if your engine is not from a Vauxhall Corsa, you're ganna feel a deep bellowing sound as if it's straight through but.... refind....-ish

I'm quite happy with what I've read of them. Sound interesting. Keep us posted on your zaust alan

Edited by dazh90

well this has been a while! unfortunately the thread has lost a lot of the pics due to photobuckets shenanigans.

i still have the car, it runs and drives but has still yet to be put on the road. it got shuffled down to the bottom of the projects pile by various houses/ e30's/ bikes etc but its still there tucked up in the garage.

i did drive it once when i had to leave the previous garage in my mates yard, it went like a stabbed rat up the road unitl the bodged PAS pipe blew, but it was enough to get it to my new garage.

i'll hopefully be making some progress towards putting an MOT on it within the next few months.

if anyone has a 6 cyl coding plug for the instrument cluster im in need of one.

gary francis likes this