alan1272

the 518i and the m52...

ok so your saying you just need another speed signal to pin 9 on the x20 or pin 15 on the ecu yeah? cant see why you can't just piggyback the black one from the c103, that should solve it?

mounts are now all welded up.

20130516_170738_zps13f7ca1c.jpg

20130516_170754_zps2ecec22f.jpg

and i've chopped back the front panel so i can trial fit the scrap radiator.

20130517_133921_zps5df58bd8.jpg

as you can see it fits nicely so we shouldn't have any cooling issues.

20130517_134438_zpsa7754937.jpg

question, what are you doing about the fuel pump? using the original? 

yeah, e30's have no problem using standard pumps so can't see why the e28 should.

now that i've said that, it'll definately have problems :rolleyes:  :-D

Does your 518i have an in tank lift pump as well as the inline pump? I've just bought a full injection system from a 518i to convert my none injected 518, i thought i'd need a lift pump but there wasn't one on the car my parts came from, just the inline pump.

Does your 518i have an in tank lift pump as well as the inline pump? I've just bought a full injection system from a 518i to convert my none injected 518, i thought i'd need a lift pump but there wasn't one on the car my parts came from, just the inline pump.

er, pass. i've never looked.

i'm much more familiar with E30's, so if it's anything like that then it'll just have an external pump and a level sender unit in the tank. when e30's got rid of the external pump they had a combined sender and pump unit in the tank. i'd guess that if it has an external pump it doesn't have an internal lift pump too.

after having a look at real OEM it appears that only Saudi and Australian cars had a pre-supply pump.

I'm finally going to be catching up with you! Hopefully mine will take a lot less time. (I had a motorbike crash in Feb, and so nothing got done, I'm almost better now, so plowing on :D)

On the 13th I got an engine crane. On the 16th I removed the engine from the (now scrap) old M50'd E28, across the following week I stripped the front struts with control arms off, the rear subframe, all the interior I need, the steering column, the pedal box (converting new shell to manual too), the vacuum booster, the bodged old engine wiring loom, the rest of the engine and cockpit bodged wiring looms etc, etc. On the 23rd I finished stripping the car, it's just a shell with doors and windows and boot/bonnet atm.

The challenge is on!

Haha, slightly different, the shell has been picked up for scrap now.

The replacement shell is much nicer, and I've just put the manual pedal box in. Need to get tidying etc though. It's going to be a busy month!

after having a look at real OEM it appears that only Saudi and Australian cars had a pre-supply pump.

That's not quite true, some UK cars did too, but I can't find any pattern to which ones did and didn't.

I've bought a lift pump to fit, as I'd rather avoid any fuel starvation issues.

good to hear other peeps projects are coming along well too, don't forget to post some piccies :-D

i've been ignoring this project again while i was working on my scimitar and doing some more rallying; i have a little time off now so i might get a chance to work on it again in the next few weeks.

Good work mate! Pretty satisfying? I'm going to be wracking your brain VERY soon. I'm just doing the wiring in mine now (and the gearbox mount). We've got the engine in, and mounted (did that yesterday).

All my wiring is tucked/hidden too :D Got a LOT of soldering to do though. Have you managed to get your propshaft completely straight? It's SO HARD to do (especially lying on the floor). I think mine is still slightly out.

yeah no probs, i'm not gonna be keeping any secrets so anything you need just ask.

still havent got a propshaft, going to see a chap who can shorten mine next week. as for the alignment, i think it's goint to be trial and error, but there's a bit of room for manoeuver on the gearbox mount.

Ok then mate, my engine is in, and mounted, the gearbox is mounted, the fusebox is moved inside, 90% of the wiring is now done but I have a quick question!

M50 pin 20 (a black wire), according to the guide we've all got, runs 'through the glovebox'. Which is a bit vague for me, what is it meant to join upto? What colour wire?
Same applies to M50 pin 24 (white and black wire). Are these to the C103?

CX20 and C103 are getting me confused. Behind my 'glovebox' I've found the C103 plug. On my 1984 car it's only 3 pin, but that's OK - it's the 3 that need to be connected!

Google tells me the CX20 is the big engine bay plug for the M50. OK, gotcha. But you have 3 wires from it - turquoise and black, brown and black and red. I don't have any of those wire colours on my CX20! So I currently have a white and black wire loose and a plain black wire. Do they just match up to the C103 wires the same colour? What about the brown one - what pin on the CX20 is it from? (obviously, I've got an M50, not an M52 as well)

I only have to work out what the random red and white wire is that's floating around from the interior loom, finish fitting the inlet manifold (which means relocating the PS reservoir), put some fuel in, and she should start up! Then fit the rest of the exhaust, bleed the brakes, and the clutch. And then fit ALL the interior again!

Where does this pipe go to/connect to? I can't work it out! It must have gone somewhere, but it was so long ago I took the inlet manifold off... And the same with the ickle diddly pipe that comes out of the underside of the inlet manifold right at the rear. It's really thin, and quite long.

3f59fd58-f3ef-4704-a1f4-a6e191b7f8fb_zps

Edited by papercutout

the rocker cover breather pipe goes to the rubber intake boot.

if you look back through my posts i've put some pics up of the C103 wiring, just match the colours up (black to black, white/black to white/black.)

i havent got my little chart at the moment so i'll try and answer some more of your wiring questions when i get it.

Edited by alan1272

Don't worry about the wiring Alan, had a little panic that day as that is when I was finishing it, and wrapping the loom. THINK I've got it all right now. Just need to get her started!

What I do need to know, is what throttle cable you've used? The one I had from the previous car I was never happy with. It always returned a bit slow, and now I'm trying to fit it to the new car, I can barely get it to return, or go to fully open!

Ps. I've already got another pipe going to the rubber intake boot. I assume you mean the one that goes into the underside of the intake, just before the throttle body?

im using the m50 inlet manifold and i have two pipes going to the inlet boot. one from the ICV and the other from the camcover breather. as long as it's upstream of the throttle body it'll be fine.

im using the 518i throttle cable, which was new not long before it went off the road. it's a little too long so i've used a solderless nipple to effecitvely shorten it. it works fine, the pedal has decent enough travel and gets a full range of movement.

have you checked and lubed all the pedal linkage and adjusted the stop?

Hmm, I've searched, but I can't find anywhere to attach the pipe from the camcover. The pipe I've got going into the intake pre TB is directly from that funny canister under the inlet manifold (I assume this is what you're calling the ICV?) There's nowhere for them to join on my system.

Yeah, my pedal moves free and easy, I've lubed the cable, but it doesn't seem to have had much effect. I think it possibly just pulls at a funny angle and has too much resistance. If you look at my earlier pics, you'll see it has a 90 degree bend in for some reason, right by the pedal linkage. And it's too long.

Can you give me a quick rundown of your starter solenoid wiring, and what you've got from where to where? I've got everything wired up, the dash lights up, there's just zero activation from the starter when I turn the key. (I'm not sure it's the solenoid, it could be the ignition not sending the signal, but the dash lights up, and the fans come on, so there's power)

Thanks

Edited by papercutout

both pipes go to the rubber inlet boot on mine, the ICV to the 'rear' and the cam cover breather to the 'front' side of the boot. i've got pics if you're really struggling.

the starter should be fairly obvious as they're all differnt size ring connectors. you should have a large main live going to a big terminal with another large wire on the same one that goes to the altenator. there should be a yellow and black wire which pulls the solenoid in and a green and black that goes back to the unloader realy (although i dont think that gets connected to anywhere on the C101/x20 splice).

the starter stuff is off the top of my head because i cant see the connections now the inlet manifold is on.

my cable is straight, although i have seen ones with the 90 degree bend. maybe worth trying a universal type cable?

not much of an update for this i'm afraid.

i've been trying to get standard bmw airboxes to fit with no success. i tried an e34 m50, e36 m52, e30 m20 and e28 m10 with no joy. one of the 24v ones may have fitted if i had relocated the battery to the boot. so i've bought a foam cone filter for it, i'm not a fan of cone filters, they look silly and cost too much but it's the easy option.

i've got an electric fan due any day that i'll fit in front of the rad and wire up using the temp switch in the rad.

i've been having to use a jumper battery to get the car started, i don't know if its just the battery is too small, the starter is sticky or my main live to the starter has a bad connection.

i'm still dragging my heels over the prop.

i'm considering exhaust options, i can't seem to find a standard system from a 535i or something that i can adapt so it's looking like it'll be homemade; i can't stretch to a £800 quid stainless system no matter how nice it would be! i'm having naughty thoughts about a side exit as well.

What's the problem with the airbox - what's it fouling?

battery, chassis leg, rad, front panel, altenator, bonnet. it's a shame really as it would have looked a lot more 'factory' with one.

cheers for the heads up on the exhaust.