alan1272

the 518i and the m52...

any of you who are on the e30zone may have seen my thread already but as this is a 5 series forum i thought i'd post it here as well :-D

here it is, a lovely little 518i. not mint or concours but presentable and rot free (as far as i can check without a full strip down!)

010.jpg

002.jpg

but what's this?

20120826_133930.jpg

20120825_184830.jpg

and an M50 manifold and e34 sump? surely not?

20120826_133942.jpg

:D winkeye

After giving my rally car a bit of a refresh earlier in the year i'd vowed to stop spending so much time in the garage and more time competing with it.

this was a great plan and i've had a fun 3 months doing some rallies; then this opportunity to buy a 328i came up at a price i couldn't refuse - so back to the garage it is! :roll:

20120828_124353.jpg

i've bought this e36 from a chap who had started to strip it with the intention of putting it in his E30 rally car. he'd got as far as removing the inlet manifold and an alarm before he'd decided to go for a vauxhall XE engine to put him in the 2-litre class. therefore i haven't heard this run, which i admit is taking a risk and is not something i'd usually do. i do trust the chap though and if he says it's good i believe him.

he also had a E34 M50 sump, pickup and dipstick and M50B25 inlet manifold, which he included in the sale.

i've never done any work on M5x engines or E36's so there's a fairly steep learning curve; but what can go wrong! :D

anyway, enough of the excuses, more pics:

EWS: i've looked at the threads in the swaps section so i think i've located all the bits i need.

ECU

20120828_124315.jpg

controller

20120828_124225.jpg

send/recieve module

20120828_130438.jpg

ring antenna

20120828_131115.jpg

key

20120828_130447.jpg

20120828_124325.jpg

engine liberated from the bay!

20120828_173034.jpg

The raped E36 has gone for scrap now so i have a bit of room to do some work on the engine before i bring the E28 in for surgery.

20120921_190758_zps2da21c4a.jpg

i tried the 318is gearbox on the engine and predictibly it fouled on the clutch, so an M20 flywheel is required if someone out there has one.

i removed the e36 sump and oil pick up from the engine and fitted the e34 pickup.

i then hit a bit of a snag, the sump i have from (what i assume) the e34 has a windage tray riveted to it, and the m52 has one bolted on, so i removed the one from the engine assuming that the e34 sump with the built in tray would fit fine. not so.

20120922_170512_zpsd5ef12ed.jpg

it is fouling against the block on the 3 protrusions at the top of the picture.

this is the e36 windage tray that has a bracket for the oil pickup on the underside.

20120922_170503_zps68f72ce9.jpg

i see two solutions:

A. trim the protrusions on the e34 tray to make it fit.

B. drill the rivets out and remove the tray from the e34 sump and use the e36 one with the bracket for the pickup removed. (this would seem the simpler but as the e34 tray sits on 'towers' cast into the sump it is possible the sump could foul on something even after the tray has been removed.)

i went with B.

drilled out the rivets and then ground them down to remove the windage tray from the sump. this is now bolted up to the engine.

20120927_122441.jpg

found some heavy plate and seamless bar to use for the mounts. it's gonna take a more serious welder than mine to penetrate this stuff!

20120927_133132.jpg

20120927_133210.jpg

i fitted the m52 fuel rail and injectors to the m50 manifold and made up some small ali brackets to bolt it to.

20120929_221447.jpg

i also started sorting out the pipework on the manifold using the very good guide in the sticky here: http://www.e30zone.n...=181824&start=0

i found some 5mm steel plate for what will become my home brewed engine mounts

20120929_221458.jpg

20121004_172142.jpg

these will bolt to the block and then i'll eventually weld the bar to them.

also, to head off any potential servo clearance problems, i went and got myself a clio servo (on the right) :D if anyone has to remove one from a clio themselves, they come off the bulkhead fine but you cant get it out past the engine without undoing the drivers side engine mount and prying the engine forward!

20121004_141647.jpg

and finally, i cleard some space in the garage and got the e28 in :D now the real fun can begin!

20121006_170055.jpg

m10 coming out tomorrow!

m10 out.

20121007_152628.jpg

empty bay.

20121007_152639.jpg

m52 in.

20121007_181840.jpg

20121007_181853.jpg

i'm using a getrag box from an e30 318is in conjunction with an m20 flywheel and clutch, but i don't have the flywheel yet so if someone out there has one for sale please let me know :-)

mounts are the next job, i'll be using polyurethane bobin type mounts that are dimensionally very similar to m20 engine mounts. the mount arms will be made from the plate and bar shown in the pictures.

I remember this 518i well, it was part of my stable of old donkeys around 2006, it had been parked, in a driveway, in Surrey along a route i used regularly, and appeared unused. One day curiosity got the better of me, as it does, and i found myself knocking on the door, as one does, anyway long story short, i bought it for pennies, (those were the days) and after replacing the split top hose (hence it's abandonment) i drove it home.

A few tweaks later it was a daily driver, first tweak being, to throw away the boot lid, and the awful pedestal spoiler that some knob had seen fit, to permanently attache, with many and varied fixings to, and through, what had been a good panel, however one red lid from stock and we were in business.

I did some additional work for a new MOT, including dampers allround, polished it to death, then used it for 6 months, and sold it on, someone from Birmingham bought it, sometime after that, it appeared on ebay somewhere on Merseyside.

Nice to see it again, it was a good solid unmolested car that cleaned up very well, let down a bit by skanky pearl beige trim, and lack lustre performance, this i see is being rectified.

i'm using a getrag box from an e30 318is in conjunction with an m20 flywheel and clutch, but i don't have the flywheel yet so if someone out there has one for sale please let me know :-)

mounts are the next job, i'll be using polyurethane bobin type mounts that are dimensionally very similar to m20 engine mounts. the mount arms will be made from the plate and bar shown in the pictures.

Like this little lot?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=4262&mospid=47215&btnr=11_0285&hg=11&fg=20

I remember this 518i well, it was part of my stable of old donkeys around 2006, it had been parked, in a driveway, in Surrey along a route i used regularly, and appeared unused. One day curiosity got the better of me, as it does, and i found myself knocking on the door, as one does, anyway long story short, i bought it for pennies, (those were the days) and after replacing the split top hose (hence it's abandonment) i drove it home.

A few tweaks later it was a daily driver, first tweak being, to throw away the boot lid, and the awful pedestal spoiler that some knob had seen fit, to permanently attache, with many and varied fixings to, and through, what had been a good panel, however one red lid from stock and we were in business.

I did some additional work for a new MOT, including dampers allround, polished it to death, then used it for 6 months, and sold it on, someone from Birmingham bought it, sometime after that, it appeared on ebay somewhere on Merseyside.

Nice to see it again, it was a good solid unmolested car that cleaned up very well, let down a bit by skanky pearl beige trim, and lack lustre performance, this i see is being rectified.

small world isn't it!

i bought it off the lad from birkenhead who couldn't insure it and then used it to do 300 miles a week until the head gasket went 9 months later.

you're not responsible for the bizarre addition of another ariel on the rear quarter are you? :-D

yeah, any manual m20 flywheels should fit, i'll just have to change the spigot bearing, i already have an m20 starter motor.

as the project progresses i'm sure i'll have lots of questions that will require answers from those more knowledgable on e28s than me, so please keep checking the thread.

anyway, todays work:

i positioned the engine as square as i could in the car, then took a few measurements, then asked a friend for a second opinion, then took some more measurements. eventually i got to a point where i was happy with the position. i had to remove the front manifold as this was fouling on the steering box; it'll need some serious chopping to get it to fit!

the gearbox has bolted up to the standard gearbox mount and rubbers and i supported and wedged the engine in position whilst i started cutting the tube for the mount arms.

busy week ahead now so progress wont happen for a little while.

I have an M20 flywheel in the garage that is left over from the conversion on my M52 that I didn't get around to...

i don't suppose you're heading to the beautiful countryside of north wales anytime soon are you? :-D

not a particularly exciting picture but one that may be helpful to those who attempt this conversion; this is what the passanger side engine mount will look like.

20121016_174336.jpg

obviously nothing has been welded yet and some gussets may be added here and there but this is roughly how it will look. it is using a standard e30 m20 engine moutning rubber as these are easy to get hold of or recreate in a variety of materials.

profiling the ends of the bar was a case of measure between the plate and the angle iron then trim, check, trim, check, trim, trim and check with the grinder until it sat nicely between the two.

i have also done the drivers side but i cant hold it in place and take a picture at the same time so you'll have to wait.

for anyone else doing this it may be a lot easier to use bar or plate rather than tube (like these M30 mounts for e30's do http://www.e30.de/335i/19.htm ) as it will be much easier to get the shape on the ends.

sorry for the lack of progress but i've been distracted by rallying and buying a reliant scimitar for my dad.

only got back to the e28 in the last couple of days, the early nights are curtailing my sessions on the car as i have no power or lighting in my garage.

so anyway, i've tacked the engine mounts together and fitted them to the car and they seem to fit quite well.

20121121_152747.jpg

next i looked at fitting the clio servo. the clevis on the clio servo is a lot shorter than the e28 one (it's a lot closer to the length of an e30 one) so i needed to extend it. the easiest option appeared to be to cut off the clio clevis, weld a stud to the linkage, then use the e28 clevis on it.

20121117_153003.jpg

20121117_153047.jpg

i could then use the stud to adjust the length of the linkage and when i was happy with the position i weled it fully.

20121121_132526.jpg

i then fitted the servo to the car and inserted this little spacer i made up into the MC to make up for the clio's shorter pushrod.

20121121_133202.jpg

so with the servo in place i fitted the inlet manifold to ensure it cleared.

20121121_143130.jpg

20121121_144930.jpg

20121121_144939.jpg

loads of room!

next job is exhaust manifolds.

This is looking good! I bought an M50'd E28 a while back, and am about to embark on reshelling it, because the shell is foobarred! Which means stripping everything out, and redoing all the wiring etc. I'd really, really appreciate it if you could share all the wiring knowledge/diagrams etc you have with me, as the wiring in the car is shocking, and it completely needs redoing!

Good luck with it, it'll be a lovely car when it's done.

Also, how much space have you left between the back of your engine and the firewall? I have almost NO space at all, and am thinking I might have to make new engine mounts to bring the engine forward a good 5mm or so.

I bought an M50'd E28 a while back, and am about to embark on reshelling it, because the shell is foobarred! Which means stripping everything out, and redoing all the wiring etc. I'd really, really appreciate it if you could share all the wiring knowledge/diagrams etc you have with me, as the wiring in the car is shocking, and it completely needs redoing!

:lol: haha, yeah, good one. i think it'll be me asking you for help if you have one that is running :-D but i intend to detail as much of this project as possible to help others in future, so i'll help where i can.

Also, how much space have you left between the back of your engine and the firewall? I have almost NO space at all, and am thinking I might have to make new engine mounts to bring the engine forward a good 5mm or so.

there is a fair bit of space, got to be an inch or two. i found if i moved the engine further back the sump/bellhousing clashed on the arb and chassis brace. i'll get a pic next time i'm there.

Well, my sump doesn't hit, which is weird!

How interested would you be in making a second set of engine mounts, exactly the same, and selling them to me? And yes, it's running, and I'll happily share all wiring knowledge with you! (I'm no good at autoelectrics though, hence asking in the first place! Guess I'll just have to copy and improve on what I've got!)

There's another M50'd E28 on here, his is more sorted than mine is. Lastly, I'll be interesting to see how you do the throttle, because mine is, once again, weird!