webweaver

Smearing wipers

8 posts in this topic

I have a constant problem with smearing wipers. I have changed the wiper blades 3 times in the last 6 months, but still have a problem with the wipers smearing and juddering. I have done a search on here and tried all sorts to try and solve this problem. The blades are very juddery at times and only smooth out for a minute or two if I use the windscreen washers, but this does not stop the smearing. This even happens with the new blades. Am I missing something. Is there any adjustment that can be done?

Thanks.

It sounds more like something is on your screen? Do you use a window polish? Or is your car parked near/under a tree?

Also have you tried a different make of wiper blade??

Try using some quality glass cleaner and then a glass polish topped of with some rainx. That's what I use anyway. And cheap crappy blades don't help either, oem BMW or Bosch seem to do the business well n last ages.

Thanks for the suggestions. Only used OEM/Bosch blades. Have tried all kinds of window polish, Rainex, everything. You name it I've tried it. Spent as much on polish and treatments as I have on blades. Have wondered if there is some kind of adjustment which alters the angle of the wipers or how closely they contact the screen. This has been an ongoing problem since I got the car 12 months ago. Nothing I try seems to solve it. New blades make it marginally better for about 2 weeks.

I was going to say clean your screen and clean it really well.

Then put some neat cleaner on a cloth and wipe the blades several times.

Hmmm perhaps the springs in the wiper arms are worn and not holding the blades firmly down onto the glass?

@ Tristan. Possibly, but they look in good condition and offer a lot of resistance when you lift the blades clear of the screen. Not rusty or corroded.

Edited by webweaver