zafonic

BMW owners hit by hi-tech theft

145 posts in this topic

I believe x35d's are NOT OK as thieves are attracted to the extra turbo for a quicker getaway and funner joyride on the way home! Checkmate ;)

:P

The most annoying part of this for me is that it was a very little known fact until Watchdog got a hold of it. Now every feckin car thief in the omniverse knows bout it. That's just damn stooopid! Any chance the BBC will pay my excess when it gets nicked?

X5 now patched. Dropped it off at the very nice and shiny new Douglas Parks service center!!!, in fact BMW Germany were there on a site visit so slick customer service including a chauffeur to drop me off in town and a clean shiny SECURE car on the return.

Nothing to show, no new flap, padlock, napalm spray or Rottweiler in the boot?!?

Heres to some better sleep!!

X5 now patched. Dropped it off at the very nice and shiny new Douglas Parks service center!!!, in fact BMW Germany were there on a site visit so slick customer service including a chauffeur to drop me off in town and a clean shiny SECURE car on the return.

Nothing to show, no new flap, padlock, napalm spray or Rottweiler in the boot?!?

Heres to some better sleep!!

Is that the swanky new place behind the Police Station on Baird Street in town?

Alex

I have an 06 520d and got the same 'it only affects cars registered after March 07'. Is the build date not more important than the registration date ? Anyway i have had a remap and DPF delete on my car, anybody know if the update will 'delete' this information ??

Nice. Any idea how long the "patch" took to apply?

It's a whole day job or at least 4-5 hours, they re programme the entire car.

Is that the swanky new place behind the Police Station on Baird Street in town?

Yes it is very nice facility... Will be using them going forward as I work beside George Square.

I have an 06 520d and got the same 'it only affects cars registered after March 07'. Is the build date not more important than the registration date ? Anyway i have had a remap and DPF delete on my car, anybody know if the update will 'delete' this information ??

I would think they are detailing that it may only be LCI E60/61s that are effected. So you may be okay, though I would want that in writing. As for the potential loss of your remap, I had it done on the 535d before and yes it wiped the remap. Hence buying an iFlash or having a friendly tuner is a good idea...

http://www.ecotune-scotland.co.uk/product/BMW_5_Series_E60_535D_M57N_Complete_DPF_Removal_Kit_includes_DPF_off_software_upgrade_iFlash_programmer_DPF_OFF

Spoke to my Stealer in the week as the car is going in for other stuff. Told me BMW have only authorised updates for X5 and X6 "as these are the vehicles being targeted", and haven't mentioned updates for any other cars to the dealer network.

P.

Hmm and I wonder what the thieves will move on to with their expensive device once they can't get the x5s and 6s..

Trust me, BMW will have to carry the work out on all affected vehicles, and if they don't then I for one would be the first to contact watchdog again. Besides I spoke to BMW uk about our 320d and they took my details and said they would be in touch

I phoned BMW about my 58 plate LCI 525 and all they did was take my details and the dealer where I got my car from. Letter due in the post in about 8 weeks time.

Alex

I took mine in for thebattery cover recall last week and asked about the security issue. I was told that if mine was affected I would get letter in the next few weeks.

Anybody heard anything from their dealers about a software update yet?

I think the 8th week should be next week?

Raj,

I just received a call from BMW Group 01709 773600, They said the security update is nearly ready and took my details to arrange for my local dealer to contact me.

Went in for some warranty work few weeks ago and asked about update on this, bloke said nothing yet but then pointed to leaflet on his desk selling a tracker system, saying that's the best way to deter thieves.... proper CPC 'Cut Price C***'

I just called up the 0800 number on the first page and they took down my details and said my nearest dealer will call back in the next 8 weeks!

Scary given my brother in laws '58 520d was stolen 5mins away from me off his driveway!

I really don't see what the delay is all about..... What's going to be the big difference from the E70-71 to another BMW?? The patch must be similar?!? No?

tej likes this

I just called up the 0800 number on the first page and they took down my details and said my nearest dealer will call back in the next 8 weeks!

Scary given my brother in laws '58 520d was stolen 5mins away from me off his driveway!

:shock: Where abouts you based?

Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:24 PM

luggie, on 19 September 2012 - 05:30 PM, said:

Who really believes BMW that pre lci BMWs with push button start are NOT susceptible to OBD interfaced key reprogramming and associated theft... I don't. I would like to know more about the number of 2006 cars stolen or what the software differences are....?

They are. BMW have simply decided the impose a cut off point as they believe only later cars are being targeted. Fact.

The fix or enhancement involves disabling comfort access. Nothing is or will be done to the obd port or alarm.

Edited by wrightski

Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:24 PM

luggie, on 19 September 2012 - 05:30 PM, said:

Who really believes BMW that pre lci BMWs with push button start are NOT susceptible to OBD interfaced key reprogramming and associated theft... I don't. I would like to know more about the number of 2006 cars stolen or what the software differences are....?

They are. BMW have simply decided the impose a cut off point as they believe only later cars are being targeted. Fact.

The fix or enhancement involves disabling comfort access. Nothing is or will be done to the obd port or alarm.

Read between the lines dood, they only want to protect the cars that still have significant retail value. Plus when you think how many E60`s are on the road it will cost BMW an absolute fortune to do them all, They have just done one recall for the E60 and now theres another coming.

How does disabling comfort access make any difference? Surely you couldn't use the comfort access feature before you have entered the car and programmed a new key? By which point you don't need the comfort access feature? So the fix is just pointless?

So the fix is only for the very few E60`s equipped with comfort access then??????, where did you get this information?

Edited by BLooD

BMW UK. A number of entries are made by pushing an instrument into the door lock and twisting it open to operate the comfort access, similar to the remote operation for comfort access. The facility will be removed so the holding of the door key/lock does not operate.

The obd port will remain as it is to allow independents and recovery agent access. Manufacturers are not allowed to disable the odb in any way as it is against eu regulations for block exemption.

The vast majority E60's have comfort access.

This all they did to the X5 last week.

BMW UK. A number of entries are made by pushing an instrument into the door lock and twisting it open to operate the comfort access, similar to the remote operation for comfort access.

You're confusing comfort access with being able to open and close all windows with the key and/or remote.

Sounds like they're disabling the facility to do it with the physical key, leaving the remote way to drop open the windows from outside.

I emailed BMW yesterday asking for an update and have got a reply today.

They said that they are in the process of "finalising all the information and it is being sent our dealerships", and that my dealer will be in contact within the next 7 days to get it booked in.

Edited by Raj59