zafonic

BMW owners hit by hi-tech theft

145 posts in this topic

Very disturbing

A device for sale on the internet is allowing thieves to steal BMWs and other high-end cars without the need for the owner's keys, a BBC Watchdog investigation has found.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19562487

Watch the full report on BBC One's Watchdog on Wednesday, 12 September 2012 at 20:00 BST. Or watch afterwards on BBC iPlayer

This problem has been around for some time now; shame BMW are not really doing anything about it, (apart from X5 and X6's).

Just keep it insured - if they really want it the last thing you want is someone breaking into your house, threatening the wife etc!!

My view is let them take it. Discreet CCTV is better - that way you have some chance of letting PC Plod sort it....

Edited by Ratman

Looks like BMW will be "extending the X5/X6 update to other models"

Didnt quite catch it if it would be free though?

Edited by Raj59

Shame they didn't have BMW spokesperson on watchdog tonight, I'd love to see Annie get her wild red glasses on them, she certainly had the Wonga.com guy wobbling a bit.

I have a mate who is a dealer principle so can always ask him anything specific if need be. He told me a week or so ago that Watchdog were going to do a piece, so suspect that they are taking note now that the media have got hold of it. Shame that it has to take nationwide exposure before firm(er) action is taken.

Another recall maybe, although i never got one for me battery cabling.. :-(

Got my battery cabling done last week when the car was recovered to the dealer to get a new water pump. Didn't even ask them to do it.

Very worrying.. i think a quick pop down to halfords for a steering wheel lock is in order until something is done...

I might be wrong but didnt watchdog mention that other makes were also having the same issue... if so would like to know more details...

I have heard on VW forums that they jave had the same thing happen as well. The common denominator seems to be the ECU (all Siemens)

Alex

On BMW's website, under the "news" section, which really is not very prominent. To me this should be front page on their www.

High-tech car theft.

12/09/2012

transparent.gif

You might have heard about reports in the media about BMWs being stolen by a new kind of theft. BMW, like other manufacturers, has become the target of organised criminal operations who are targeting specific vehicles and using highly sophisticated equipment illegally to steal vehicles.

BMW prides itself on its vehicle security systems and all BMWs meet all UK and global security standards. Our engineers and technicians review all aspects of our vehicles constantly, including security systems, and after extensive research we are clear that none of our latest models - new 1 Series Hatch, 3 Series, 5 Series, 6 Series and 7 Series - nor any other BMW built after September 2011 can be stolen using the method highlighted. However, as responsible manufacturers we are looking at ways of mitigating against this new kind of attack. We are now in the process of offering to any concerned customers of targeted models, extra technical measures which will mean the car cannot be taken using the piece of equipment highlighted in these stories, although of course there is no such thing as the unstealable car.

If you are concerned about this issue, you can contact our Customer Service department on 0800 083 4397 or your local BMW dealer, either of which will happy to advise.

We also recommend following general advice given by the Police:

- When using remote locking, ensure the car has actually locked by checking a door.

- Be careful with your keys and who you give them too keys (e.g. valet parking). There is a risk that they could be cloned.

- Where ever possible park your car out of sight, in a locked garage or under the cover of CCTV cameras.

In addition: We recommend servicing your car at authorised BMW dealerships on a regular basis to give the opportunity of further enhancing theft protection.

BMW Group UK

Love the last sentence.....take your car to the dealer on a regular basis so that they can relieve you of large wodges of cash. I also find it ridiculous that the onus is on the owner to call up to see what can be done.

Has anyone called to see what's what, as I suspect that most owners are concerned. It seems that the M Sport models are stolen for what they are, and the non-Sport are often stolen and broken up.

It will be in the form of a software update which will be free as confirmed after speaking to BMM UK this morning.

Will take around 8 weeks for them to gather info of affected cars and get letters sent out...

Phone them up on 0800 083 4397 if you want to get your name on the list sooner as did I.

Be prepared to be in a queue for a while though :?

It will be in the form of a software update which will be free as confirmed after speaking to BMM UK this morning.

Will take around 8 weeks for them to gather info of affected cars and get letters sent out...

Phone them up on 0800 083 4397 if you want to get your name on the list sooner as did I.

Be prepared to be in a queue for a while though :?

Unless you have modded your car like I have and can not have any more software updates.

Unless you have modded your car like I have and can not have any more software updates.

Is that something you've done yourself then using NCS etc?

I've done a bit of coding using NCS myself and enabled alarm beeps, key out etc but am stuck on enabling MP3 playback even though mines a 12/2005

Anyback on topic...Do you mean that because you've modded your car or have you modded your car specifically to block this sort of attack/clone?

Rang BMW at around 6.30 this evening and got through straight away.

Anyway, she took my details and told me that my local dealer will be in contact within the next 8 weeks for the "quality advancement device".

Is that something you've done yourself then using NCS etc?

I've done a bit of coding using NCS myself and enabled alarm beeps, key out etc but am stuck on enabling MP3 playback even though mines a 12/2005

Anyback on topic...Do you mean that because you've modded your car or have you modded your car specifically to block this sort of attack/clone?

I mean I have changed on of the modules and now ISTA will complain of incompatible part no.s and refuse an update.

Yeah, and i don't want them to feck up my remap and dpf delete either.....one of those big steering wheel locks will have do...

Theres now a technical measure in place you just need to ask for it. I am going to.

Just phoned BMW UK, it only affects cars between 2007 - 2011. If you have one of these production dates you are entitled to a free update to the security system.

Edited by BLooD

So, for us e60 owners that means lci only then??

Mine is a 2006 non lci but has new style key and push button start.

Better call to be sure i think...

Ditto i got the same version but like you said better call and make sure