baus

Check your scuttle drains!

Scuttle Drain Check  

141 members have voted

1. 1. After checking it, was your drain blocked?

Just done mine on driver side. There was about 2 inches of murky water sitting. I couldn’t even see the grommet it was that murky. Felt about and pushed through followed by a gush of water from underneath the car. Thanks for the heads up

Did my annual check yesterday. Quite a lot of leaves around the filters. Driver side dry and this time, I decided to pop the grommet... Then I read gas could get into the cabin catching up with this thread??? How is that possible?

Moved to passenger side and as previous years, struggles to see anything but looks pretty dry. Is the only way to get to that one from the front wheel? Will have a go at it.

Edited by reggie59

On 15/04/2018 at 12:37 PM, reggie59 said:

Moved to passenger side and as previous years, struggles to see anything but looks pretty dry. 

I could see nothing on passenger side on my last check so I taped some kitchen roll to a long screwdriver and prodded around. Came out dry, but I'd be interested in how you access the grommet on passenger side too.

2 hours ago, pidgeonpost said:

I could see nothing on passenger side on my last check so I taped some kitchen roll to a long screwdriver and prodded around. Came out dry, but I'd be interested in how you access the grommet on passenger side too.

By removing part of the wheel arch liner to get at it from underneath.

Decided to change my pollen filters so decided to check the scuttle drains too. 

Passenger side: ECU in the way so fed a piece of coat hanger into this area. No sign of liquid when pulled out. Obviously couldn't see whether the drain plug was blocked. 

Drivers side: No water present although drain plug was fully clogged. Decided to try and rod away but didn't get anywhere. Managed to pull the drain plug out, gave it a clean out and then naturally struggled to return it to position. Absolutely wasn't going in but the problem appeared to be the 'flap' constantly getting jammed. Decided to 'modify' it by deliberately pulling the 'flap' off and it then finally returned to position with relative ease. Considering some have alluded to removing the drain  plug completely I'd suggest returning it without the flap will not cause a single problem. 

The flap/valve is designed to stop contaminated air from the engine bay being pulled into the scuttle area and then into the cabin. That’s why it is present.

A variation of this design is common place on most cars since the late 90s.

You should have a sensor in the engine bay (on the side of the block I think) that looks for the presence of contaminated (combusted) air. It then activates the recirculating air function in the cabin. You need to arm this with the first press of the recirc button. It’s sensible to have this armed if you’ve removed the scuttle drain valves.

Cheers. I have this set on 'A' the vast majority of the time. In fact I don't think its ever been off of this. 

PS

Great username by the way. Was gutted to find a once solid L1011 turn has been replaced by a 737-800. I believe there was an A310 in between. This on the Gatwick - Halifax flight via Air Transat.

Apologies to everyone else for the aero-waffle!

Air Transat used the TriStar?

Ironically I’m 737NG now as a daily. Unfortunately not on the line but as a simulator instructor. The el-ten is a throwback from RAF.

Hi all, my first post here but thought I'd register to say thanks for the tip. I checked my E60 2004 today and indeed it had at least 2 inches of water level. Cleared it all out and removed the scuttle drain. Releaved! 

Sadly the rubber scuttle fell inside the car rather than out, hopefully it doesn't cause any blockage issues now it's lost underneath!! 

33 minutes ago, Abzman said:

Hi all, my first post here but thought I'd register to say thanks for the tip. I checked my E60 2004 today and indeed it had at least 2 inches of water level. Cleared it all out and removed the scuttle drain. Releaved! 

Sadly the rubber scuttle fell inside the car rather than out, hopefully it doesn't cause any blockage issues now it's lost underneath!! 

It's hiding behind the wheel arch liner m8.

again, thanks from me, only had car 7 days and decided to check - about 2-3 inches of water in it!!

popped gromet out. tried doing the ECU side but could nt work out how to remove (or id I dare), so left that.

Must have been about 1-2 pints of water sat in there!!

Thanks

19 minutes ago, Jay70 said:

again, thanks from me, only had car 7 days and decided to check - about 2-3 inches of water in it!!

popped gromet out. tried doing the ECU side but could nt work out how to remove (or id I dare), so left that.

Must have been about 1-2 pints of water sat in there!!

Thanks

You have to remove part of the wheel arch liner to get to it.