baus

Check your scuttle drains!

Scuttle Drain Check  

128 members have voted

1. 1. After checking it, was your drain blocked?

1 hour ago, gazzdid said:

Pull the rubber grommet completely out mate. Problem solved for good then

Begs the question, why is it there in the first place ?

On 6/6/2016 at 9:00 PM, gazzdid said:

Pull the rubber grommet completely out mate. Problem solved for good then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I shall check the drains again in a few weeks and i they are showing any signs of becoming blocked again then I will remove the gromit entirely. 

I shall check the drains again in a few weeks and i they are showing any signs of becoming blocked again then I will remove the gromit entirely. 

Tbh i doubt you will get any problems in a few weeks, i think they block up over time as crap slowly builds up until the point its so gunked up its actually water tight.

I had the same problem with my Rover 75 (BMW) 20d the scuttle panel filled with water where the ECU is kept when I went around a left hand corner the car began to splutter .

Until one day it packed in altogether, I had to send the ECU away to the ECU Doctor for repair at a cost of £200.

I took the drain grommets out all together and never had a problem after that.

I will check my e60 now

Reading these posts I realise why my old 2004 e60 used to get a wet footwell and after it had rained I could hear water slopping around under the engine bay. Luckily it never gave me any problems.  There was one occasion when I parked up and I remember coming back to the car after a few hours to see a pool of water behind the 2 front wheels, the water must have been dripping through the grommet holes for days. 

I have a 2009 e60 now and that has no problem, it is the same design although I change the pollen filters and clean all the leaves out myself instead of leaving it to a garage who would have just changed the filters and not removed all the leaves which would turn to gunk and block the holes up. 

Well just thought I'd check mine and drivers side bone dry even though it's been parked facing down hill so recent rain has all run off down the windscreen is a 5 min job to check.

Cold and getting dark now but will check passenger side soon

I know this is an old topic, but the MG ZT and Rover 75 suffer exactly the same issue.

Two things to be wary of, pushing the grommet through, the grommet sits where the bulkhead and front scuttle meet and is there to allow water to drain. If the seal between your two panels is not totally watertight by pushing the grommet through you are giving the water a  chance to drain between the panels with no obvious way out.

Secondly should the water level on the passenger side get deep enough you are in danger of a flooded ECU and that can be damned expensive to fix!

SO, rod away by all means, but try to clear the grommet rather than shoving it through, better still make a bigger hole so larger debris can drain without blocking it.

this is a job i need to do on my e61.  However I was thinking about further prevention of water contamination by wrapping the electronics/fuse box etc in some kind of insulation.  Has anyone done this & if not is it advisable (condensation & the like)...  thanks

checked my driver side and all was nice 'n dry. my passenger side had a mini pond down there! the ECU was in real danger of being submerged!

could not get at the blocked grommet, so i got my hi tech piece of kit (ie turkey baster), and after 40mins all was dry. Phew! will need to tackle it from wheel arch, which is a pain in the derrier, but absolutely necessary before Summer ends.

(i did manage to remove the driver side grommet. will upload pics for you. i may put it back later as that one was working effectively.)

cannot understand how BMW engineers cannot design a more effective drain, especially given proximity to vital car electronics?

IMG_20170602_113057.jpg

IMG_20170602_113116.jpg

Edited by Johnboy65

Does anyone know if the 7 series F01 is affected by this issue?

I only ask because I seem to get a build up of water on my driver's side but I'm buggered if I can see the gromet. I've only had the car a couple of month's.

Not sure mate but in my e61 I could not see them either. Had to remove a lot of mud from there to get to it. Years of neglect and lack of proper maintenance. Luckily boot was dry.

Had to remove quite a bit from the drivers side the other day, took the plug out completely and flushed with strong APC and hot water. All clean and dry now and should not get to the same state again. Passenger side had nothing though.

On 2017-6-2 at 8:03 PM, Johnboy65 said:

checked my driver side and all was nice 'n dry. my passenger side had a mini pond down there! the ECU was in real danger of being submerged!

could not get at the blocked grommet, so i got my hi tech piece of kit (ie turkey baster), and after 40mins all was dry. Phew! will need to tackle it from wheel arch, which is a pain in the derrier, but absolutely necessary before Summer ends.

(i did manage to remove the driver side grommet. will upload pics for you. i may put it back later as that one was working effectively.)

cannot understand how BMW engineers cannot design a more effective drain, especially given proximity to vital car electronics?

IMG_20170602_113057.jpg

IMG_20170602_113116.jpg

Got my driver's side one out going in via the wheel arch and it looks exactly the same as yours. The passenger however seems to be slightly different in design and I wasn't sure where to yank it out from tbh lol so I left it. The water on that side does flow freely though so I know it's not blocked.

read this from the start today and thought I best go have a look at mine ...followed the guide to removing the pollen filter and rest of pieces that you need to remove to get in ...managed to do the drivers side ..couldn't pull it out but poked it through so it sits in the bottom tray at min ... was totally blocked ... looked at the passenger side but couldn't even see it because of the big box that sits on top .... but the drivers was dry so hopeing the passenger one is also ..... 

whilst doing this I discovered my tyre had a bulge so off to kwik fit I went to be stung for 150 for a run flat tyre ....ouch ....

looking at what I can tackle next to ensure car is ok ...