baus

Check your scuttle drains!

Scuttle Drain Check  

128 members have voted

1. 1. After checking it, was your drain blocked?

I have been getting water inside the car so checked this drain from what I saw on another forum. on the other forum they said remove the grommet that's underneath the servo which is really hard to get to, have I done the right thing removing this one cos I doubt ill be able to get it back in as theres very little room. also it hasn't stopped the car leaking it was soaked inside this morning but apparently its something behind the door card which will have come away come away.

Anyone able to help a npvice out plz - will try to tackle this tomoz but before i do could soneone post a pic of the grommet i am looking for? Also any other pics you may have which will help me remove everything i need to get to where i need to check

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I don't have a pic, but the grommets look similar to bolt heads, are the same colour as the plastic mouldings, but are hollow looking, i.e only the edge of the bolt head is there rather the entire thing (clear as mud)  :? . From memory there was 3 or 4 each side- 1 towards the outside, quite easy to see from either side of the car as you stand by the wing and the others towards the middle by a "triangular" moulded part of the cover, which are visible once you've removed the pollen filters. There is also another under the piece of plastic you see the guy above slide out which holds the two halves of the tray above the scuttle in place.

Hope this is of some help!

Oh and I did it for the first time with no real experience and with a bit of trial realising there were more grommets than I could see initially, it was quite easy :)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

these modern cars, my old 1974 car has no problems like this, you think BMW would have sussed it all out by now, lol. I'm checking mine again in the morning. Might copy the old 1974 engineering!!

Had my windscreen replaced today so while the bloke was doing it, in the car park outside my office I took the opportunity to check the drains as he had everything out of he way.

Few leaves and a bit of crap but dry as a bone.

Happy days.

Is there any way to remove the passenger side one? 

Drivers side was easy, passenger side has a box of electrics in there blocking visibility, 

even with pulling and pushing on the box to move it you can't actually see the drain plug.

Can it be ripped out from below on the passenger side?

I'm going to try a little usb camera I have, this will get right in the gaps and it is waterproof, plug into the laptop, job done!

Mine was dry as a bone.  It's done 135k miles now and 35k of those have been in the last 9 months so they were either cleaned out before I got it or I've just been lucky for a change.

Great thread though guys, thanks.

Staff

Just checked my BiL's 2008 e60 520d & there was the beginnigns of a mini lake underneath the brake servo on the driver's side. I just removed the drain valve outlet, waste of time cleaning it out only for it to be blocked again.

I just removed the drivers side black box with the pollen filter in it, didn't have to remove the actual filter, there was hardly any water under it, so where the water passes through the little rubber flaps I thought I'd push my mini camera down there, no water at all. I did see a very odd alien looking thing down there, it looks very odd, no idea what it is.

Not sure how to add pictures, will follow.

Checked mine while I did glow plugs (or after I did them I should say). 

Left side (under the pollen filter and tray) I found about an inch of water. I used a flat head screw driver to push the grommet out. Loads of water!

My neighbour came out while it was draining and said, "you got a coolant leak mate?"haha.

He obviously doesn't know what coolant looks like either. 

Thanks for the advice here. Drivers side had water in it, but as it was immediately after washing the car I'm going to leave it over night and see if it's drained out be the morning. I suspect it won't be though. But I'll give it a good chance just so I don't skew the poll results  ;)

I would blow. Listen for bubbles. God knows what you'd suck up lol

I was going to suck slowly and watch the straw for liquid, but you made a damn good point!

Haha, excellent! Sometimes it's good to get a second opinion even on the simplest of jobs!

This is the offending item!!

Thanks for the picture, Pickle. I was peering down there in fading light and couldn't quite make out the grommet! I know exactly what to look for now.