baus

Check your scuttle drains!

Scuttle Drain Check  

128 members have voted

1. 1. After checking it, was your drain blocked?

Just checked mine this morning.

Luckily ecu side is ok.

Brake servo side had maybe half an inch of water in there!!

Quick prod round tge grommet and then flushed thru with water sorted it out.

Gonna make it a bi-yearly check tbh as its an easy, quick job.

Gonna make it a bi-yearly check tbh as its an easy, quick job.

The garage discovered water in mine when they changed the brake fluid. But I must try and check myself regularly - is it easy to do ?  Is it on the passenger side ? 

Edited by Tuvoc

Its an easy job.

Unclick the pollen filter covers, undo the plastic screw 90'. Unclip the bonnet sensor switch. Slide the joining clip from the centre.

Undo the rest of the 90' screws in and around the plastic surrounds. Undo the torx screw holding the pollen filter bottom surrounds from both sides. Pull the rubber sealing strip from across the top of the engine bay. Pull up the bottom parts of the pollen filter housings away and thats it.

10 min job.

nope, drivers side. Very easy, 5 min check. Lift bonnet, undo pollen/cabin filter, undo the plastic base this sits on, and voila.

I have not seen the pollen/cabin filter, but how hard can this be... from what you've described, it should be bleeding obvious. I'll try and take a look over the weekend

Interesting there are actually also some 'NO' votes in the poll. I would have thought there's more chance of being struck by lightning than having an E60 with an unblocked scuttle drain :lol:.

Going to check mine again today, as not checked them since I unblocked them last august.

Well I checked both sides today and as thought, the driver side was blocked again, so have removed the grommet all together. 

I couldn't tell on the passenger side if it was blocked or not and didn't want to mess around moving the ECU. But as far as I could see and feel there was no water down there.

I managed to check my ECU side whilst doing the pressure converter during the festive period. I got some of my old vacum pipe and shoved it down there and blew....No bubbles and the pipe came back out completly dry.

I'm still gonna try and get to the grommet from under the car and/or behind the wheel arch but will prob wait until spring/summer now.

If there was a photo or a diagram of the car's underneath, identifying its exact location, then this famous grommet can be yanked out and the damn thing can be sorted out forever. Assuming no axle stands or jack, car could be lifted at a tyre place or similar and grommet to history !

I know that when I pushed my drivers side through I heard the grommet fall on to what I think was the undertray cover and when I looked down through the hole I could see a bit of my driveway tarmac so I'm hoping the passenger side will be visible from underneath...

The drivers side was probably caught by the suspension pump cover, the passenger side will fall to the ground

Edited by Blobby

^^ So does that mean there is no scope to remove the driver's side grommet from underneath the car unlike the passenger side one ?

No just pull the pipe from inside the valve will drop off somewhere

in our fridge there is a long plastic loose thing in a hole that blocks on lots of fridges, would it be a good idea to leave a long cable tie in the hile, now and then just pull and puh it to remove crap without taking car apart?

Indy discovered mine were blocked yeaterday when changing the brake fluid. The level was just under the Brake Servo. They drained both sides for me. Now that I know how to check the drains I will check them once a month or so.

Yeah checked mine and the servo side was blocked. I just cleared the hole with a piece of coat hanger. I thought the grommet was attached to a tube so didn't poke it out.. I will do it when I do my next repair ;o)....

My son had an Audi A4 and this problem cost him over a grand to repair all for the sake of unblocking a grommet.. shear madness.