Liam79

E39 dash leather trimming

Hello,

I seem to have a leather fetish! I've already Ebayed the necessary bits to give me 'extended leather' (centre console and door pulls/arm rests), but I dont want to stop there and would love to go somewhere towards the awesome 'complete leather' option :). However I don't like my chances of ever finding those bits on Ebay (having said that there's a RHD complete leather interior on German Ebay right now, albeit missing the upper dash and a few other bits).

Anyway, my question is could you take an existing normal vinyl E39 upper dash and cover it in leather to look as good as the OEM version, or is it just impossible to do something like that - like cut all the pieces correctly to get the stitching in the right place without whatever templates they would have had in the factory, etc? Maybe the vinyl wont come off, maybe the dash itself would be a different part on the leather covered version, etc? Excuse my naivety - I really have no idea of the capabilities of you and others in your line of work, so I'm probably over or underestimating what's possible :).

So if it's possible, how much would it cost for the upper dash. I believe it's Nappa leather - looks fairly smooth, although not the very softest type which they called 'Nappa Heritage', which gets used on some other parts. While you're at it, what about the door card tops too, cos they would ideally be done to match the dash top. Here's a couple of pics I stole from the internet in case you're not familiar with the complete leather dash...

0O5Sz.jpg

qAcco.jpg

GdzTO.jpg

That reminds me I'd be interested in the lower dash being done too.

Then the alcantara headlining that goes with complete leather would be nice too - how much for the headliner (non sunroof) and the pillar parts?

One more thing, I'm considering a clean and re-dye to bring my leather back as good as it can be, and also cos the extended leather bits I have bought are the wrong colour (black when my interior is beige! But would I ever find beige leather bits on Ebay - no way). What colours do you do your dye kits in? Would you be able to match the standard E39 beige so I have the option of just redying my new leather bits to match the existing? If I do the whole lot I'd consider a different colour altogether - I really like the M5 caramel - would you have that colour dye?

Cheer for your time.

I'm thinking along the very same lines regarding the upper dash and door card top sections. I've been looking on ebay for years and haven't yet seen one rhd upper dash.

I'd be very interested in a price at least.

One little question, would you be able to reproduce the 'Airbag SRS' logo (or whatever it is) on the passenger dash airbag cover? I suspect it's quite easy, probably a stamp of sorts, but do you have it? I suspect that you could, it's just something I've been wondering about.

Thanks.

Oh Ger, are you going to do every mod/retrofit I have planned before I get round to it? :) :). Good point about the text though. For me that would go for the alcantara headlining pillars too. You already have that don't you, Ger? Although to be honest, leather dude, if you couldn't replicate the text that wouldn't be a show stopper for me, particularly for the pillars. I imagine it's perhaps some sort of legal requrement for the OEM, but again I doubt it'd really be a problem if not there.

The text certainly isn't all that important but would finish it all off nicely, it's there on the original ones and as you say I'm pretty sure it was/is a legal requirement to show the location of every airbag.

For the A pilar trims the text is in the plastic screw cover at the top, so not a problem. C pilar trims have it written/stamped in I'm sure but I can't remember how it is, I haven't looked at them for ages! I have a feeling it's in one line.

Not sure if I'll ever get around to do this but it's something I've thought about and I'd really like it, but other things have taken presedence so far. One day maybe…

Hi Guys
I have some picutres for the complete leathered dash to work from but could do with a few more
Dash top can be replicated in Black Nappa leather (OEM Nappa not aftermarket)
your looking around £650
door tops £200
lower dash (not centre console) £375
Console £275 ( i have a spare black one here and the leather is .8mm and not the standard 1.2mm so this leather has to be thiined before it can be used)
Alcantara headlining and pillars £550
Sun visors and any grab handles are extra

I can also obtain BMW oem Caramel Nappa leather which can be used for your underdash and yes if you have beige leather seats these can be dyed to Caramel
so  you can have the top of the dash black naap.
Full underside and centre console Caramel Nappa
Headliners and pillers in alcantara
and to finish off, dye your (or can do this) beige sets Caramel to match the leather

Regarding airbag signs.
We cannot get this stamped in but embroidery can be done.
...john

Edited by sleeper

Awesome - thanks for the response. This will be done in stages, I think, and not right away as I'm about to have to drop crazy money getting the car imported to Norway! I think a good first stage would be to get you to trim the lower dash parts in caramel and sell me a caramel dye kit so that I can dye my existing beige seats and door cards, and black leather centre console and door pulls. Then at least everything will look great and the right colour and I will have 'extended leather' plus a leatehr lower dash. Then at a later date I can treat myself to the upper dash and door tops done in black nappa, then later again the alcantara bits. Sounds like a plan :).

Here's a few more pics I dug up of the leather dash. I think you should have all the details now, but let me know if you need anything else and I can try find some more pics. This is a mix of US (nasty bloated lower dash) and Euro LHD and RHD pics, so I flipped all to RHD just for consistency. God that caramel full leather interior is nice...

NkWfH.jpg

dOgQ7.jpg

EaPtx.jpg

X7oCq.jpg

O7i9Q.jpg

kZP3V.jpg

T38XX.jpg

So do you reckon you could get that pretty spot on?

One last question - apparently you couldn't have blinds with the full leather option, and apparently, or so I've read, that may have been due to the thickness of the leather meaning the blinds dont fit properly. Is that something you've ever come accross if you've leather/alcantara trimmed, say, an E39 parcel shelf with blind?

Edited by Liam79

Yeh, i recon i can get it pretty spot on.

Regarding the blinds.

Cannot remember doing an e39 shelf with a blinds but ive done plenty of e34 and e36 with the blind option in leather and alcantra and got them fitting of after covering.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I'm not ready yet for this work, so I'll hold back.

However, I've amassed a few pictures of my own of the leather type dash over the years.

Here they are, I hope they can be of use. If I find more, I'll add them in later:

1870008.jpg

alcantaradash.jpg

leatherdash1.jpg

leatherdash2.jpg

leatherdash3.jpg

leather-m5dash1.jpg

leather-m5dash2.jpg

leather-m5dash3.jpg

leather-m5dash4.jpg

leather-m5dash5.jpg

leather-m5dash6.jpg

leather-m5dash7.jpg

leather-m5dash8.jpg

leather-m5dash9.jpg

HTH.

If we both get it done do we get a group discount? :).

Thanks for the info so far, and I'll be in touch for 'phase 1' in the not too distant future.

lol

if there done only at the same time then yes i will look at what discount.

If you have phase 2 or 3 then depending on whats in that phase i will look at a discount.

Hi there,

Well turns out I found some caramel full leather door cards and lower dash section on Ebay so picked it up. It's all a bit dirty and ideally needs a good clean and redye to restore it. I'd like to order a cleaning and dye kit in Caramel enough to do a whole interior. How do I place an order?

Also, the door cards I have in places the leather seems to have gone a bit dry and sort of creased/wrinkled. Can this be sorted with some decent feed/conditioning product that would restore the softness and smoothness? Check out the pick below...

g4k5L.jpg

It only seems to be the drivers door handle like that, but on some flat areas of the lower door panels the leather is also gone a bit dried and wrinkled looking.

Also I'm missing the glove box door in all the bits I picked up. If I sent you a standard glove box, how much would it be to trim that in caramel leather? Not sure if there'd be an issue having to buy a whole caramel hide from BMW just for that small piece, so as I'm dying everything anyway maybe you could trim in another colour you might have an offcut of and I could dye it if it's really costly to get a small amount of caramel nappa? What do you reckon? I've asked a fellow forum member for some good pics of his OEM leather glove box to see the stitching design - I think it's only round the edge of the handle cutout that has stitching.

Then later I'll still be interested in the upper dash and alcantara parts.

Cheers,

Edited by Liam79

Hi Liam

Good find.

I would go for the 1 liter dye with cleaner and conditioner.

If you cleaning the leather and conditioned it over a a week or so you should be able to get it a bit softer, how much depends on how its been treated in the past.

I have a hide of caramel nappa leather in stock so can cover your glove box no probelm.

The best way to approch this would to be to have the glove box trimmed in the OEM caramel and then ill match a dye to the caramel i trimmed your glove box in.

The caramel dye which is off the shelf would have been matched to Caramel leather produced at the time of car production and this leather is no older than 1 year.

This would lessen greatly veriation in old and new.

I have renovated a very dirtly caramel inteirior in the past, it had no rips or major damage and once finished it looked fantastic so i would expect a great looking interior.

john

Thanks John,

Sounds like a good idea to trim a glove box lid and match dye to it. How much for the glove box lid trim? I'm waiting for some good reference pics of the leather glove box - or do you have some already?

Out of interest, what would you charge for restoring my 4 doorcards cos having a pro do them would be something I may consider also if I'm too scared :)?

Cheers,

Liam

Thanks Ger - thought it was just around the handle there was stitching. The US dash has stitching round the outer edge of the fat US glovebox door, but I was farly sure the euro glove box did not.

Cheers

Hi Liam

I think ger is correct with the stitching.

All the other UK ones ive done only have it around the opener.£100 + delivery in OEM Caramel Nappa

and to renovated all 4 doorcards £200

John

hi john

I'm interested in all this too. Alcantara headlining pillars and sun visors and rear parcel shelf first. then possibly the lower dash in cream leather (not caramel) - I havent quite decided if I want this yet or not.

Has anyone else above had it done yet or booked anything up wih you? ie is there scope to get in on a discount !

Thanks

Pete

Hi pete,

No one above has had work done or booked anything.

We are working on an e39 M5 at the moment

All the pillars, headliner + sunroof cover,parcel shelf,sun visors have been covered in anthracite Alcantara and will be fitted today.

Other work including leather replacement and renovation is being done to this e39 M5 which i have to say is one of the cleanest ive seen.

Over the next month or two we have also another e39 M5 in. This time for a complete leather re-trim.

Seats, dash, console complete doors the lot.

Hi again,

I will definately have the glove box done and the matching dye for the rest of my interior made in the new year before I get my accumulating pile of E39 bits shipped to Norway. How do I actually go about placing an order? Is it done through here or contacting your company directly? It would make sense to me to have a standard glove box from Ebay delivered to you for trimming rather than giving you mine as it's over here with the car in Norway. Then hopfully I can just swap over the locks when it all arrives here. I'm also very very interested in getting the door cards restored at £200 even though part of me would like to have a go myself. I'll have to think on that :).

I'd be really interested to see good photos of your current E39s. Particularly when you come to do the dash trimming. Will that include the upper dash I want done for myself one day? No offence meant, but most of the pics on your website are tiny and really compressed, so they really dont do justice to how good your work most probably is! So some good photos would be great :)

Cheers,

Liam

Hi Liam

Best to have a replacement box sent to me direct and ill trim it for you.

Ill put some picutres up of the M5 once finished, the underdash may be trimmed in the new year and the other should be over the xmas period but schedules may change,

Ah right I've just seen some teasing pics of the caramel M5 you are doing in the projects thread. The alcantara looks great!

Hi john. I have to say your work on the caramel M5 looks amazing having seen kimbob's latest pics. I'd definately like to get the glove box done and dye kit ordered. I'd also like you to do my door cards as above. How do i book it all in? I'm on holiday at the mo but back in a week. Better get on ebay and win a glove box :). Something i never thought to ask - whats your waiting list/turnaround time like? I'd hope to get it done by march as thats when i'm shipping my massive pile of accumulated bits to Norway. Is that gonna be possible? Cheers.

Edited by Liam79

Hi Liam

We should be ok to trim the lid, supply the dye and renovated the doorcards before March.

We are currently looking at the start to mid feb to take work on, but if you can get it to us ealier we will be able to get it in earlier.

The M5 we are doing at the moment will take up all of january and most of feb.

The customer is in no big rush so putting his interior aside for a bit will be something he wont mind us doing.

So earlier the better.

You can contact us at sales@bespokeleathering.com  or call on 0121 439 5633 and we can discuss the smaller details.

John