Saint

Coolant

Got a dreaded bong this arvo, and it came up with a coolant level warning. Just waiting for the engine to cool down before checking the level.

Stopped when it came on, flashed up the temp on the secret menu and it was running mostly at 94ºc +/-1 or 2º.

I am presuming that it is low, so questions....

1) will Halfords be able to supply a proper coolant, or is it really BMW only?

2) where to look if it is low and I have to spot a leak. Had the car since the start of Dec 2011 and first sign of "trouble".

TIA

I got some coolant from halfords, check the label for some phrase about being BMW spec / approved.

I've had 2 leaks with my coolant system. The first is a brittle plastic pipe, runs across the top of the radiator. Take off the bonnet slam panel rubber deal and the panel itself (held with torx bolts) and you'll see it.

The second was the coolant tank itself, Very common to get hairline cracks, impossible to see but there and you'll spot the coolant dripping off the bottom of the tank.

the genuine stuff from bmw is fairly reasonable if i remember correctly. Would be looking for a leak first of all, and throwing some water in there just to top it up for time being. Checked expansion tank i take it? Thats where mine failed on an e46, had to buy new tank.

i think the average recommendation is to use BMW coolant which is pre-mixed. When i changed my stats, i flushed mine through then added a 35% mix

It's just antifreeze though really isn't it. What can BMW do to antifreeze to make it special? Apart from charge double!

I say this because I bought a big 5 litre tub of the cheap stuff from gf parts with my thermostat this morning! God I hope I'm right!!! Mind you, it's running tickety boo so it can't be all bad. Didn't even go 50/50 as I was expecting it to take a lot more than it did. Mines probably 90/10 at the mo......

I am going to get this, as I need to get some to get to BMW to get theirs if you know what I mean

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_759381_langId_-1_categoryId_255224

I think that I read somewhere that G48 is the one. With this concentrate, are you saying to get near what BMW use you would add deionised water to it?

The BMW stuff is pre-mixed with presumably de-ionised water, so you can use it to top up where necessary.

I did mentioned somewhere on here that with my Toyota you had to use premix because adding plain water would cause the salts in the water to come out and block the water ways which in the Toyota engine would cause cylinder head to warp. I ripped the guts out of my thermostat, bought some Halfords flushing solution and flushed the system, then added ordinary anti freeze and de-ionised water, with a new stat

Got a dreaded bong this arvo, and it came up with a coolant level warning. Just waiting for the engine to cool down before checking the level.

Stopped when it came on, flashed up the temp on the secret menu and it was running mostly at 94ºc +/-1 or 2º.

I am presuming that it is low, so questions....

1) will Halfords be able to supply a proper coolant, or is it really BMW only?

2) where to look if it is low and I have to spot a leak. Had the car since the start of Dec 2011 and first sign of "trouble".

TIA

i thought i had an issue with coolant, but since i changed my faulty engine stat i havent needed to top up for ages, so have a look for visible leaks

and if you cant spot anything then maybe give that a go.

Ta. Hopefully if it is liveable with for 3 months, I can get it sorted when I send it back before the AUC Warranty runs out. I presume that it should be covered. Will top up to max line and see how long it takes to drop.

Ta. Will fill up with some Halfords, leave it for a week or so while I am away on hols and see how much it comes down. Just checked, and it is well below minimum.

most likely a pointless exercise- it won't drop when the engine's cold, as it's not under pressure!

When I changed the stats on mine BMW coolant was a very good price and wasn't pre mixed, you mix it down with tap water 1 to 3 in our climate or 1 to 1 in colder climates. You don't need to add distilled or de-mineralised water thats an internet myth thats people just repost. The water won't get hot enough to evaporate off and leave mineral deposits and its a sealed system to increase the boiling point of the water anyway. On top of that you have a coolant added to the water which is full of adatives to protect the engine and condition the water.

most likely a pointless exercise- it won't drop when the engine's cold, as it's not under pressure!

Ah yes....well, I'll fill it up, see how it runs and see how much it drops.

Coolant should be changed every two years anyway due to deteriation of corrosion inhibitor, if it isn't, aluminium parts soon oxidise and start blocking radiator. Drain, flush and retreat with 50/50 mix of suitable coolant to ensure longevity of components.

apparently, the blue stuff last's two years, and the red stuff lasts 5 years. I put red in mine when I changed the main stat.

In our generators we were told to look out for blue/green anti-freeze and change it for red immediately because of corrosion protection

Bollox.............since filling up a week and a bit ago, went on hols for a week and jumped in the car for a 10 miler yesterday. In again this arvo and the bloody warning light is back up. Would this be covered under AUC and is it a quick fix or does it take hours at the stealer?

Should be covered under warranty if its loosing coolant. No way to tell whats wrong until they have had a look though. Could be something as simple as the system isnt pressurising properly so the water is evaporating off.

Any sign of where the leak may be? What about the reservoir bottle cap?

They shouldn't lose any through the cap, mine has been at the same level since i did my stats over a year ago