gingerdigger

F11 wish I had options but potential retro fit

36 posts in this topic

So I have my new F11 that I have had for 6 weeks and have to say, I love it apart from a couple of things I wished that I had, but I bought my car from stock. I have been looking into doing a retro fit of these items and was wondering if anyone else has tried?

Folding mirrors - Looking at realoem.com for the part numbers for electric folding mirrors, it would appear that the mirror assembly is the same as a vehicle that doesn't have it like mine. They only appear to be different if the vehicle has lane change warning. I am therefore of the opinion that I just need a new door window switch control panel that has the button to fold the mirrors in as the wiring loom appears to be the same as well. Maybe there might need to be some coding though. Anyone know?

Ambient lighting - I have all the part numbers for the LED strips to go in the doors and the centre armrest, exterior handles etc and the wiring loom in the doors is the same between a vehicle that has this option and one that doesn't. Interestingly the interior door trims are the same if you have ambient lighting or not as the LED strip holes are already there.

Electric towbar - I have managed to source an electric retracting towbar from a breakers yard that has never been used. Just need to get the genuine wiring kit for this that comes with the internal button to release etc from BMW which is available and then fit it all, could be a fun job.

Automatic closing tailgate - Now just been released as standard on new vehicles, typical. Retro fit could be fun.

Edited by gingerdigger

Ooh, I'd be very interested to hear how you get on with the tow bar. I've had a mare with bike carriers for continental touring and the tow bar attaching one crossed my mind. Needless to say when I specced my F11 I didn't see any need for a tow bar.

I've got the folding mirrors and auto tailgate and they're used all the time. A long press of the lock button on the not insignificant remote and in they go!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

On the e60, to retrofit folding mirrors, all you need to do is fit them and code them. Then they'll open/close with the key, which makes fitting the switch control panel optional.

BMW's own website has some kit you can retrofit through them but it's by no means comprehensive, to say the least!

May be a silly question,but is the f11 still at the breakers for the wiring? If not it may be worth checking a westfalia supplier,I think they are the oe tow bar suppliers and the will therefore do some sort of wiring kit. I believe Q5's have the same towbar set up so the wiring may be the same? If your struggling. the 13 pin wirng kit,full function,is dealer available,it's on an earlier towbar thread.

On the e60, to retrofit folding mirrors, all you need to do is fit them and code them. Then they'll open/close with the key, which makes fitting the switch control panel optional.

Thats only true if the car has drivers seat memory. If It doesnt you need to fit the door control modules too.

Ambient lighting - I have all the part numbers for the LED strips to go in the doors and the centre armrest, exterior handles etc and the wiring loom in the doors is the same between a vehicle that has this option and one that doesn't. Interestingly the interior door trims are the same if you have ambient lighting or not as the LED strip holes are already there.

So are you saying it is just a case of fitting the LED strips into pre-existing connectors?

Just some thing to bear in mind, Coding the F series cars is by no means easy, You will need E-sys which will not work with out a developer token, both are hard to get hold. There is no OBD port in the F series cars but instead there's an E-net port for which you will need an E-net cable or a BMW ICOM.

I'm sure I know the answer but it is possible to retrofit xenons?

Halogens are so dim and I miss my E60 xenons. Should've specced them :-(

I think there are plenty of HID kits for the F10 but every review I've ever read suggest either they don't work OR blow the footwell light module over time (no idea why).

I've fitted Philips Xtreme bulbs instead as I also thought that the halogens were too dim. The light at night is fine now and it only cost £25

I'm fairly confident in saying retro fitting xenons is a non starter. Cost involved would be massive plus I'm sure it would then need to be type approved,which the car won't have if they weren't oe

Current UK rules on Xenons requiring self levelling and washers make it a non starter. Guess i'll have to wait another 3 years til my PCP is done before i rectify my mistake. BMW do not do a retrofit on the F10. I asked!

I think there are plenty of HID kits for the F10 but every review I've ever read suggest either they don't work OR blow the footwell light module over time (no idea why).

I've fitted Philips Xtreme bulbs instead as I also thought that the halogens were too dim. The light at night is fine now and it only cost £25

I've looked for philips xtreme but the ones that come up when searching on the bmw part number are £27 each! Would standard H7 55W 12V Philips xtreme bulbs fit as these are a lot cheaper?

I just put in the regular H7 Xtremes. I got mine fom Powerbubs as they were doing a promotion at the time.

Good luck.

Edited by A900ss

Those are the ones I have. A little fiddly to fit (thru the wheel arches) and I've kept the old bulbs just in case I have a bulb blow in the middle of nowhere.

I vaguely remember a thread where it looked a bit of a fiddle to get them changed but with before & after pics which showed the difference. Willl do a search. Was wondering if taking the wheel off & sticking the corner on an axle stand woud help.