the_rangdo

Oil level too high

Anyone had this yet?

I just randomly checked the vehicle status while sat in a queue and it told me the oil was too high, check immediately.

It was serviced back in April and I've not checked since so I can't say if it's an overfill or something more serious but obviously I'll be checking more often as likely when it goes in tomorrow all that'll happen is they'll drain off some oil and say it was an overfill.

They can't blame any electronic sensors, I checked the level on the real dipstick and after standing for an hour after driving 40 miles it's still a good 3-4mm beyond the max line.

Not sure what concerns me more; that it was an overfill and I've been driving for 3 months/5000 miles on it :shock: , or diesel getting into the sump.

I dropped it off tonight and had a good chat.

Given the level seems so high (it covers the word Max on the dipstick) they agreed it's unlikely to be an overfill, and I'm reasonably sure I checked the status after the oil service so I'd have picked up an overfill at the time.

So it does look like it's fuel pump related. Hopefully no actual damage has been done, performance doesn't feel to have changed and fuel consumption is the same.

Hm - that's a bit worrying. I did 100k miles on my e46 330Cd with no problems and I think it's much the same engine at its heart. Would be interested to know the outcome when you get the vehicle back. How many miles have the car done?

They had it all day, dropped the oil and refilled to the proper level with 0.5l left over.

It's being blamed on overfill which I'm not overly happy/convinced with but with work commitments and a looming holiday I haven't got the time to muck about so all I can do now is keep an eye on the levels >_>

Currently on 22k miles, most of the last

12k steady motorway driving.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Edited by the_rangdo

Got about 16 months warranty left (and will probably extend it), plenty of time for the problem to re-occur before another oil change is due, and I'm going to be checking regularly.

It'll be mighty hard for them to explain away a second increase.

Suggestion if you doubt the overfill, do the level check on the system say weekly & take a pic with your phone each time. If you've got an iPhone or similar the pics will be time stamped & GPS tagged so they can't say it's an overfill if the level is going up over the weeks. You have the evidence to then kick it up to BMW if the dealer is being difficult.

Good idea on the photos, I'll probably do the idrive check daily (photos weekly) as I get to sit in plenty of traffic queues round Bradford so it gives me something to do. I'll be doing the proper dipstick weekly-ish too to rule out sensor errors.

I'e always monitored consumption too, back in the day I used to find this a useful way of finding out if an engine has an issue, not sure if that's as valid any more.

Shame you've got to do these things really, can't help but think that a car with a list tag of ~£45k should be damn near perfect but they're so blinkin complex nowadays and proper mechanics seem to have vanished so we have the catch-22 of relying on the car to tell us it's got a problem.

As well a my f11 I have 2 seat Ibiza 1.6 diesels. The 1st one I had endless problems with it putting derv into the engine oil.

This was down to the driving style and software issue.the DPF light would come on weekly. DPF light on can be awkward for people to rectify themselves as when the idiot light goes out the DPF still needs to be regenerated for a few miles to ensure its completed the cycle.there are 3 forms of DPF regeneration. Passive,active and forced. Passive is when your driving around,no light comes on,the car slightly over fuels to burn the soot accumulated in the DPF. Active,the light comes on,you take it for a thrash. Forced,the dealer plugs it in and the computor gives it a thrash. IMO the derv will be entering the system in the passive or active modes,the car over fuels deliberately to burn the soot and it may be going past the bores.

The seat I've got went in weekly for a forced regen and at least one passive in between.it was a known fault at the time,the dealer was very good,changed the oil and filter 3 times foc and when the software was updated it was perfect.

Not saying the BMW is the same problem,just thought I'd share the experience.

Now keeping pic record of mine. Checked the level on last long trip in May and it was showing 75% full, checked it today and it's 100% full (both on sensor, both warmed up & after standing running for couple of minutes). Will keep an eye on it.

Well just to revive this, I checked the level this morning while I was stuck at some lights - it's gone back up again.  Last time I checked it was around Xmas and all was o.k. (although I forgot to photograph it)

Probably related (?), I also noticed this morning while doing a steady 30mph on a flat road the engine felt like it was pulling/hesitating - no warnings or anything, just this fluctuation feeling.  That's the 2nd time I've noticed it.

Waiting for service to call me back so I can get it booked in.

Went in last week to have a new oil sensor fitted, all reading fine now.  Just been out and checked the real dipstick and the level is just below the full mark which jives with them telling me when they were checking things out they dropped 6.9 litres out of the engine.

14k miles since the last oil change and it reckons another 10 months before the next one.  Don't trust that too much, I want to hang onto the car a little while so it's booked at National Tyres for an interim oil change - £55 for Castrol Edge 5W30 including oil filter but I've bought a BMW one for them to use instead so £75 all-in.

Edited by the_rangdo

So just thought I would jump on this thread, 

I had the car serviced last week, all was fine ( I even set the number 6 as the oil check shortcut) this morning it had 4l of fuel in it, I got in to go and tank up (plus try this map up date), it came up with oil overfill warning, I tanked up the garage, thinking that a drive and on/off would sort it out, but no.

Any ideas?

So, just took it for a quick drive, then back to the garage and we dipped it, level is just below max. 

Strange?

Edited by dsgrnmcm