webweaver

Another stealer rip off!

13 posts in this topic

The Drivers side angel eye bulb has blown on my 2008 E60 530d, halogen lights. Guess what ? You cannot buy a replacement bulb that will physically fit the holder. You have to buy the entire bulb holder unit and bulb. £23 from the stealers. What a rip off!

Edited by webweaver

This is the offending article The bulb has offset pins that locate into a brass insert inside the holder. It is this brass insert which will not physically allow any other type of bulb to be fitted. Make it bigger and the bulb won't seat.

post-40784-0-63354800-1340049366_thumb.j

Edited by webweaver

Just bite the bullet and buy the genuine part mate. They may be expensive but at least they fit and work properly, I've tried messing around removing the bulb from the holder and replacing it in the past and it's just not worth the effort. On the bright side it could have been a HID headlamp bulb, they are 137 plus vat!

Edited by paul thornton

could have been a HID headlamp bulb, they are 137 plus vat!

or free; HID's are covered under warranty

This is the offending article The bulb has offset pins that locate into a brass insert inside the holder. It is this brass insert which will not physically allow any other type of bulb to be fitted. Make it bigger and the bulb won't seat.

It's not a clear picture, but doesn't that black plastic come away from the orange reflector? Inside it will sit an industry standard bulb that's widely available...

Yes the black plastic bulb holder was fused to the Orange reflector, which was easily remedied. The problem is that the bulb holder itself has been made either too narrow or too deep to take any standard bulb that either myself or a number of motor spares shops have been able to find. This means buying the entire unit, complete with bulb.

Well, new unit purchased and fitted. Fiddly, frustrating job, though.. Had to take headlight out and utilise other half's smaller hands to actually get the unit in place.

Out of curiosity, asked dealer about fitting cost. £30! Would have cost a total of £55, although at one point while I was wrestling with the new bulb, it didn't seem that bad a deal.

Rear LED indicator bulb blown. Can't be replaced !!! new rear light £180.

Wife's Touran, rear indicator bulb blown. Cost 80pence.

Now that's what I call a rip-off.

Rear LED indicator bulb blown. Can't be replaced !!! new rear light £180.

Wife's Touran, rear indicator bulb blown. Cost 80pence.

Now that's what I call a rip-off.

It certainly is. Makes me feel a bit better though! Seriously though, you have my sympathy.
bmwe61520d likes this