BMW 5 Series Owners Board uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Thank you for visiting bmw5. If you'd like to show your support for the forum, please consider becoming a Gold Member

Photo
- - - - -

E60 520d EGR Removal DIY

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 sd_dracula

sd_dracula
  • Current Car:BMW E60 520d

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:58 PM

Does anyone have a link to a DIY on how to remove/clean the EGR valve on a pre-LCI E60 520d?
Wouldn't mind giving that a clean.
Whatever I've found, there's no mention of the 520d.

#2 baus

baus
  • Current Car:04 E60 525d Auto

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:20 PM

I'd expect it to be quite similar. Take the plastic engine cover off, post a picture and we can point things out...

UNLOCK SECRET OBC & check engine operating temperature.      

How to change the: main thermostat. EGR stat

E60 525d Auto. SA255 Sports steering wheel, SA438 Fine wood trim, SA459 Memory: seat, mirror & steering wheel , SA522 Xenon lights, SA524 Directional headlights, SA534 Climate control advanced, SA609 Navigation system professional, SA644 Bluetooth handsfree, SA672 CD multi-changer.
Retrofits: SA430 folding mirrors + SA563 puddle lights, Driver's folding mirror button, 3.5mm jack aux cable.
Coded: Bi-Xenon full beams, MP3 playback, AUX in, digital speedo display, comfort folding mirrors, chirp on lock/unlock.

Remap: EGR delete by TheEnd @ endtuning.com

#3 sd_dracula

sd_dracula

Posted 31 May 2012 - 03:43 PM

Will need to leave it till the weekend, real busy with work.
I sit any different than the e39 like here: http://home.tiscali.nl/luuk60/ ?

Edited by sd_dracula, 31 May 2012 - 03:43 PM.

#4 sd_dracula

sd_dracula

Posted 31 May 2012 - 04:38 PM

Actually managed to take a break and took off the engine cover.
The result?
Screw the "engineers" who designed the 520d engine and made it 100x more awkward to remove stuff than the 525 and 530d.
Not only are the bottom 2 screws of the EGR valve impossible to get to (main thermostat story all over), there's another thing on top of the valve (cruise control?)
I see why there are 0 DIYs on this on the internet, people looked at it and said screw it.
Any ideas on how to even begin?

Attached Files

Edited by sd_dracula, 31 May 2012 - 05:54 PM.

#5 baus

baus

Posted 31 May 2012 - 06:45 PM

It's actually easy to do.

1) remove plastic BMW cover
2) Pull UP the metal clip on the black plastic air intake pipe that goes onto the silver metal pipe
3) pull off air intake pipe
You now have the clearance for the two bottom hex screws
4) Undo the electrical connector. This controls the butterfly flap, and actuates whenever you switch the engine off (is this what you thought of as the cruise control?) (where does the wire that comes off it lead to?)
5) Undo the EGR return flow pipe jubilee clip
6) Remove vacuum pipe (to disable EGR, don't reconnect this monstrosity!)
7) Undo the 2 3 screws which house the butterfly valve (this is usually clean- if you see oil on it, your turbo might have issues)
Posted Image Undo the 4 screws that holds the valve which lets soot into manifold & engine, reduces your mpg, causes premature wear on the turbo and causes the dpf to clog up quickly

Obviously reverse process to put everything back together.

Apparently you're supposed to use some kind of sealant on the EGR return flow pipe when reconnecting it.

P.S. if you don't want to take off and clean the inlet manifold, DON'T, I repeat DON'T look in the inlet hole that you will expose. You're better off not knowing how dirty it really is lol.

How many miles has yours done?

Edited by Baus, 01 June 2012 - 10:05 AM.

E60 525d Auto. SA255 Sports steering wheel, SA438 Fine wood trim, SA459 Memory: seat, mirror & steering wheel , SA522 Xenon lights, SA524 Directional headlights, SA534 Climate control advanced, SA609 Navigation system professional, SA644 Bluetooth handsfree, SA672 CD multi-changer.
Retrofits: SA430 folding mirrors + SA563 puddle lights, Driver's folding mirror button, 3.5mm jack aux cable.
Coded: Bi-Xenon full beams, MP3 playback, AUX in, digital speedo display, comfort folding mirrors, chirp on lock/unlock.

#6 sd_dracula

sd_dracula

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:50 PM

It's actually easy to do.

1) remove plastic BMW cover
2) Pull UP the metal clip on the black plastic air intake pipe that goes onto the silver metal pipe
3) pull off air intake pipe
You now have the clearance for the two bottom hex screws
4) Undo the electrical connector. This controls the butterfly flap, and actuates whenever you switch the engine off (is this what you thought of as the cruise control?) (where does the wire that comes off it lead to?)
5) Undo the EGR return flow pipe jubilee clip
6) Remove vacuum pipe (to disable EGR, don't reconnect this monstrosity!)
7) Undo the 2 screws which house the butterfly valve (this is usually clean- if you see oil on it, your turbo might have issues)
Posted Image Undo the 4 screws that holds the valve which lets soot into manifold & engine, reduces your mpg, causes premature wear on the turbo and causes the dpf to clog up quickly

Obviously reverse process to put everything back together.

Apparently you're supposed to use some kind of sealant on the EGR return flow pipe when reconnecting it.

The vacuum pipe is the one circled yellow below right?

P.S. if you don't want to take off and clean the inlet manifold, DON'T, I repeat DON'T look in the inlet hole that you will expose. You're better off not knowing how dirty it really is lol.

How many miles has yours done?

Well if I do 6, and not reconnect it, inst that emissions light on the dash?
The thing that sits on top of the EGR valve (where the big hose goes in) is the throttle according to realoem (item 16 below)
Posted Image
That is held in by 3 torx bolts, I assume that needs to come off first or I'm pretty sure the bottom 2 bolts on the EGR cannot be reached.
The car has around 89k miles and the valve was cleaned (probably the first time) around one year ago.

As far the sealant for the return pipe (the metal one to the right of the EGR valve right?) it has been taken off before and put back without sealant and the car still works Posted Image

The vacuum pipe is the one circled yellow below right?

Attached Files

Edited by sd_dracula, 31 May 2012 - 09:02 PM.

#7 baus

baus

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:04 AM

Well if I do 6, and not reconnect it, inst that emissions light on the dash?
Yeah, until you reconnect it.

The thing that sits on top of the EGR valve (where the big hose goes in) is the throttle according to realoem (item 16 below)
(yeah, and inside the throttle body sits the butterfly flap... all it does is choke the engine every time you switch it off)
Posted Image
That is held in by 3 torx bolts, I assume that needs to come off first or I'm pretty sure the bottom 2 bolts on the EGR cannot be reached
If you have a long enough hex adapter (like 9" long) then you can reach the 4 screws without removing the throttle body.To clean it properly you need to separate the throttle body and egr valve anyway, so you're better off removing the throttle body first and then the egr valve.

The car has around 89k miles and the valve was cleaned (probably the first time) around one year ago.
To be honest, it won't have built up much more crud in 1 years time- cleaning the inlet manifold will be a lot more beneficial instead.

As far the sealant for the return pipe (the metal one to the right of the EGR valve right?) it has been taken off before and put back without sealant and the car still works Posted Image Yep, the metal pipe on the Off-Side of the car.

The vacuum pipe is the one circled yellow below right? Yep.

Edited by Baus, 01 June 2012 - 10:07 AM.

#8 sd_dracula

sd_dracula

Posted 01 June 2012 - 03:23 PM

Thanks.
I might tackle the manifold also?
You mean remove the whole intake manifold, (part 1 above)?
A DIY for the manifold? :D

Edited by sd_dracula, 01 June 2012 - 03:59 PM.

#9 baus

baus

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:09 PM

Yup, part 1. It's a bit awkward to clean in terms of access, so keep some chemicals handy, petrol or carb cleaner etc. Maybe even a pressure washer? (use at your own risk!) I read someone on bimmerforums or bmwland who was soaked the whole manifold in caustic soda. (it's quite harsh stuff though apparently).

Take a better picture, I can't see the back end of the engine, you may need to remove the front struts, or the pollen filter area for access.

It won't be too dissimilar to this guide though.

Make sure you remove the pressure sensor before you start cleaning.

Edited by Baus, 01 June 2012 - 09:10 PM.

#10 sd_dracula

sd_dracula

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:39 PM

4 pots instead of 6 for me Posted Image

Edited by sd_dracula, 01 June 2012 - 09:39 PM.

#11 baus

baus

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:03 PM

that's why i said it won't be too dissimilar, should have said will be similar, in hindsight...:D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users