BMW 5 Series Owners Board uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Thank you for visiting bmw5. If you'd like to show your support for the forum, please consider becoming a Gold Member

Photo
- - - - -

How to clear adaptation values ?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Vronsky

Vronsky
  • LocationAmsterdam
  • Current Car:'01 DT41 - M54 - A5S 325Z - 482

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:02 PM

Fella's,
Is there a way to clear/reset stored adaptation values, without disconnecting the battery, nor some workshop diagnosis tool ??

Thanks,
V.

#2 dan101smith

dan101smith
  • LocationHerts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:05 PM

Don't think so.

Why can't you disconnect the battery?

#3 velvetmonkey

velvetmonkey
  • LocationLondon- Brockley
  • Current Car:2000 BMW 528i Touring

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:55 PM

Hey Vronsky,

there are two things people mean when talking about gearbox adaptation values, apologies if you mean engine adaptation values.

The first thing is the adaptive drive which results in the gearbox adapting to your driving style. ie hanging onto gears longer, adjusting the speed that gears are change etc. This isn't stored anywhere, the ecu workes this out based on your brake/accelerator inputs etc as you drive. The car forgets all this as soon as you turn the car off.

What is stored, however, are adaptation values based on the wear of the brake bands and clutches inside the gearbox. These can be cleared with DIS/INPA and the like. I wouldn't recommend resetting these unless you've just had a full gearbox overhaul.

Simon

#4 Vronsky

Vronsky
  • LocationAmsterdam
  • Current Car:'01 DT41 - M54 - A5S 325Z - 482

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:03 PM

Thanks, I mean the values stored in the DME.
I'm replacing the MAF soon, and like to reset the DME to obtain 'fresh' settings.

Cheers,
V.

Hey Vronsky,

there are two things people mean when talking about gearbox adaptation values, apologies if you mean engine adaptation values.

The first thing is the adaptive drive which results in the gearbox adapting to your driving style. ie hanging onto gears longer, adjusting the speed that gears are change etc. This isn't stored anywhere, the ecu workes this out based on your brake/accelerator inputs etc as you drive. The car forgets all this as soon as you turn the car off.

What is stored, however, are adaptation values based on the wear of the brake bands and clutches inside the gearbox. These can be cleared with DIS/INPA and the like. I wouldn't recommend resetting these unless you've just had a full gearbox overhaul.

Simon

#5 velvetmonkey

velvetmonkey
  • LocationLondon- Brockley
  • Current Car:2000 BMW 528i Touring

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:24 PM

Ooops, my bad.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I think it's a dealer tool/inpa job

#6 TheEnd

TheEnd
  • LocationBirmingham
  • Current Car:'98 540i

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:43 PM

Yep, INPA, although it isn't strictly necessary as it'll sort itself out quickly anyway.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users