• Announcements

• sandip

Email notifications   06/09/2016

We are aware the email notifications are currently not working.  If you require any assistance related to receiving emails, please contact one of the admin team whilst we look to resolve this issue.   If you have any issues verifying your account, please contact one of the team on our Facebook page here https://www.facebook.com/groups/forum.bmw5/   Thanks Sandip 
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Vronsky

How to clear adaptation values ?

6 posts in this topic

Fella's,

Is there a way to clear/reset stored adaptation values, without disconnecting the battery, nor some workshop diagnosis tool ??

Thanks,

V.

Hey Vronsky,

there are two things people mean when talking about gearbox adaptation values, apologies if you mean engine adaptation values.

The first thing is the adaptive drive which results in the gearbox adapting to your driving style. ie hanging onto gears longer, adjusting the speed that gears are change etc. This isn't stored anywhere, the ecu workes this out based on your brake/accelerator inputs etc as you drive. The car forgets all this as soon as you turn the car off.

What is stored, however, are adaptation values based on the wear of the brake bands and clutches inside the gearbox. These can be cleared with DIS/INPA and the like. I wouldn't recommend resetting these unless you've just had a full gearbox overhaul.

Simon

Thanks, I mean the values stored in the DME.

I'm replacing the MAF soon, and like to reset the DME to obtain 'fresh' settings.

Cheers,

V.

Hey Vronsky,

there are two things people mean when talking about gearbox adaptation values, apologies if you mean engine adaptation values.

The first thing is the adaptive drive which results in the gearbox adapting to your driving style. ie hanging onto gears longer, adjusting the speed that gears are change etc. This isn't stored anywhere, the ecu workes this out based on your brake/accelerator inputs etc as you drive. The car forgets all this as soon as you turn the car off.

What is stored, however, are adaptation values based on the wear of the brake bands and clutches inside the gearbox. These can be cleared with DIS/INPA and the like. I wouldn't recommend resetting these unless you've just had a full gearbox overhaul.

Simon

Ooops, my bad.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I think it's a dealer tool/inpa job

Yep, INPA, although it isn't strictly necessary as it'll sort itself out quickly anyway.