ttrw2

ttrw2's 2001 Le Mans Blue M5

OK so I got the bug.

Been on the look-out for a couple of months and finally found one that met my desires. Picked her up at the weekend. 2001 Le Mans Blue in AMAZING condition. Wants for nothing and extremely well cared for.

Came with just about every option bar double-glazing. After a check-over and wash tonight she's ready for her first outing - a run down to the Monaco GP! yay!

Enjoy:

NvNrc86.jpg

8dt82Vo.jpg

27AVfUu.jpg

And with the trusty old touring smile.png

edx4HWw.jpg?1

Edited by ttrw2

That looks gorgeous! An M5 for fun and a 530d touring for commuting... perfect! :)

Wow, forgot all about this thread.

During the course of the summer my brother returned from a failed business move to San Francisco and needed a 'short-term' car as he was moving back out again late summer. I lent him the M5 and one-thing lead to another he's not moving back to SF so bought the M5 off me.

However before all that I got a trip to Le Mans in and a few jollies along the way. On the Le Mans circuit:

Puth5nu.jpg

KRX1LAk.jpg

Obviously this going left a big space on my driveway for another, so I bought this:

:)

Edited by ttrw2

Brief update on this car!

My brother has covered just under 8k miles only in the year he's had it, but it's been cherished. It went into Oxford Crash Repair (highly recommended!) where it had the rust round the bootlid done, rear bumper, bootlid, bonnet and front bumper resprayed.

In the meantime the wheels went off to Lepsons for a full refurb and a new set of Michelin PS2 all round, and on the inside he's upgraded to a MkIV and retrofitted the full bluetooth kit.

It is now absolutely mint! And puts my old smoker to shame.....!

vP5EYbU.jpg

ejJnAD7.jpg

b1xguoy.jpg

Edited by ttrw2

So after a 12 month hiatus, she's back.

As written here http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/99814-monte-carlo-blue-f10-m5/ my brother's moved onto bigger and better things so this one has made it's way back for me.

Compared to the other M5 I've been running for the past 2 years, this one's on 135k miles (vs. 210k miles), is a later facelift car and has had a fair bit of money spent on it over the two years my brother's had it - namely bodywork, wheels, MkIV nav and full bluetooth retrofit. On top of this the car has been sat in a well-ventilated undeground car park in London all along, covering a grand total of 14k miles in which it's had three oil changes, filters, belts, plugs, diff oil, gearbox oil, and new front brakes - all done by yours truly :)

So it seems I shall keep this and move on my other M5.  Tonight I gave it a good scrub to see if anything's needed. Apart from 2 new rear tyres and a bubble of rust at LE of the sill, she's immaculate. :)

cqIGrGQ.jpg

FVhPKUV.jpg

DLpHp32.jpg

IdWnsLb.jpg

Plan is to keep it as clean as possible but also add some small mods as it'll be my everyday car. I suspect before the year's out the suspension will get an overhaul - BC coilovers look like the way forward based on what I've read.

Edited by ttrw2

They drive too similarly to tell tbh mate,

If anything this one is a bitter softer, but then I've polybushed bits of the other and it's obviously on it's second set of shocks (at least)...

Plus that one has the H&S exhausts, the noise making it feel like there's an extra 50bhp.

And this has the facelift wheel which feels sooo much more chunky!

Both are well-maintained mechanically, so no surprises they're similar. I'd happily take another well into the 200k miles without giving it a second thought.

For some perverse reason I think I prefer the looks of the pre-facelift headlights!

Edit: Oh, and I've put manual sport seats in the other M5 which sit lower and are more supportive IMO

Edited by ttrw2

I have to say I do quite fancy retrofitting one of the newer chunky sport steering wheels. I thought your touring would have had one of those fitted does it not?

Your 200k m5 still looks superb for its age and miles though. Combined with what you have done to it, someone is going to get a damn good car when you sell it? If I had the dosh I'd probably take it off your hands lol.

The other M5 hung around until October before getting broken-up for spares so I didn't put this back on the road until end of October. Done around 1200 miles in her since and she's a bit too civilised for my liking so changes will be underway shortly!

This morning I had a pair of Pilot Sport 3s fitted on the back as the previous Dunlop Sport 3000s were passed their best!

DKwNfI8.jpg

MaPdw5C.jpg

gfkTpQa.jpg

And it's weekly wash to keep the body tip-top.

She has a MkIV with updated software - ///M splash screen - but this crashes quite frequently and it does take a while for the GPS to come back. What's the best solution?

Edited by ttrw2

Back at my parents for a couple of days over Xmas so a good opportunity to have a fiddle on the ramps/out of the weather.

Oil/filter change, general check-over/inspection underneath and each corner and then a fiddle with the headlight alignment was the aim of the game...

FH3vqSA.jpg

AgHPFsm.jpg

lfJML5m.jpg

Edited by ttrw2

Looks fantastic. My MkIV has the M splash screen too and seems a little slow and 'clunky', maybe OE is the way to go?

Hi,

I'm guessing you had 'another' E39 M5 aside from the one which was broken for spares?!  - Sorry, just looked and read the thread above!

Take a look at http://www.carphonics.co.uk/bmw.htm for repairs and upgrades etc for the oem audio/GPS modules etc. 

What kind of changes/mods will be happening on this M5?!

I'd want that garage too, I'd have the walls showing tools etc, but as I don't know how to use them, I'd get friends who do to come over to do work and I'd supply tea/biscuits/samosa's etc !

Cheers, Dennis!

Edited by DennisCooper

Just ticked over 140k miles last week, going as strong as ever :)

Picked up an Ultragauge from America and made a bracket to sit it just to the left of the dash. Great bit of kit, accesses all the usual OBD channels and allows you to config 8 different pages to view them + set alarms (e.g. high coolant) temp. Bracket just pushes in between widescreen and dash upper, so no permanent mods made here :)

jvoS9FF.jpg

And a bit of fiddling in today's glorious sunshine - giving the engine bay a spruce up. She's sat next to my old M5 as despite that being sold nearly six months ago, the purchaser still hasn't completed on the sale...

3fgypMu.jpg

Edited by ttrw2