MadeinWigan

Avus E34 540/6 Touring restoration

A manual 540i wagon is on my list. Doesn't have to be mint.  Alpina is great but i need a v8 before i die and and e34 is the one.

I had the chance to buy one a few years ago, it was originally a 530 manual. But somewhere along the line a 4.0 engine was dropped in it, not just any 4.0 but a hartge tuned one, it had ported head and cams about 315-320 BHP iirc. It had cloth trim and was oxford green. Real sleeper still had 5 speed box and diff

I think a 540iT/6 is the practical choice of all E34's and a B10 BiTurbo the heart-rending choice so you each have the best of both worlds. Style 5's are a PITA to refurb properly but do look the mutts nuts when done well. The Avus Touring is a rare, rare and beautiful thing, whether it's an M5 or a 540i, or a 518i too; there ain't many and they a very good looking car in a wonderful colour :)

As for the wheels, I got lucky a few times but the 18" Alpina softline's could be up for grabs and they are minty fresh with good rubber.

There is something special about a V8. I'll have to take a recording next time I start the car. It doesn't have an exhaust fitted at the moment and sounds immense!

Kevin, dare I ask how much the wheels will be? Think I could live with just Softlines, Throwing Stars, Style 5's and M Parras.

style fives are really nice but a menace to keep clean.

selling the throwing stars should get a few bob back.

we are like squirrels, they save nuts - we save wheels.

A nice sunny day and time to do a little tidying before welding takes place. Found a small area of rust between the rear seats and the boot which will need seeing to, Worth lifting out the plastic tray that the jack sits in if you have a touring. Saloons seem to rust in a similar area but it's one that doesn't come to light often as it's well hidden.

Just a couple of shots, I love this colour

94B24D0C-0A0C-488F-852C-B92876488FD7-158

3BF9C956-0102-44DC-9923-EB79146F91FE-158

Edited by MadeinWigan

Update time. The car is in the workshop now, ready for work to start. It's great to see it up on the ramps.

FBA468D4-3622-4C7D-B5D9-FF6781847032-126

Once up on the ramps it was clearer to see what needed doing. Lots! Here's a few shots

D637603A-90E1-4DDF-AAFE-8C301C8C8906-126

8040FB6D-09D6-4532-ADD0-1889968990DF-126

DA8FF473-98DE-406E-9D3B-1386DAB6E157-126

73F209D4-633F-4279-81D7-B27B55EDE8F1-126

A horror show I think you'll agree. Nothing that can't be fixed though. Compared to some of the Skylines, Evo's and Land Rovers that I have seen on the ramps, this rust is fairly minor.

Luckily I have some really solid donor parts that can be grafted in.

D7A3EE98-D657-411E-A725-353CCA22AE19-126

Edited by MadeinWigan

Normally with E34's I'd run a mile with rust like that but having a good look underneath it was a pleasant surprise to find very little else to be concerned about. There is an area underneath where the jack sits and the tailgate mounts that need doing, also maybe a bit around the petrol cap. Other than that everything is solid and will just need treating to prevent more corrosion.

Part one is getting the welding done and then getting it through the MOT.

It needs the wheels swapping so that it has legal tyres. Also, the sls needs deleting. I have billies and eibachs on the front and matching ones will be going on the back.

I have a stainless exhaust to go on as well as a 3.15 LSD. Other than that it shouldn't need anything else, I'm sure something will crop up.

I've had a light refurb done on the wheels while I was having the tyres swapped. Not a brilliant change but certainly more presentable.

Unrefurbed one on the left!

E12956CC-7B22-4BE3-B869-97728A6ABCBB-126

Excellent work - I want to see this in the flesh when you've done it :)

My M635 is undergoing a screens-out full bodywork repair and full respray at the moment and when it's done it will never see rain again.....

Cheers Kevin, I'll bring it out for a trip to yours. You need to look at it like an old house and try and see the potential. It'll get there.

How long have you been waiting for the 635 to be done?

I just had a quick look back at the thread and the vids without the exhaust weren't working on the iPhone. Try again.

I'm not getting too excited just yet, it's only made it from outside to inside :)

The cutrent deadline is the 31st of this month for the MOT, I'm hopefully doing the trip to Geoff to get seats etc and drop off parts on the 11th August.

After that, it's open ended to get it finished, as and when funds allow. I can tidy up the interior a lot without spending much, that's more attention to detail. The main job will be a full respray.

Cheers Kevin, I'll bring it out for a trip to yours. You need to look at it like an old house and try and see the potential. It'll get there.

You're very welcome at any time and it's only a quick motorway blast to my place. I have to admit, the M635 love is primarily in the engine and not the bodyshape - the S38 is an addictive and beautiful thing and having suffered at the hands of a 3.8 M5 the 3.5 E24/E28 version is far more forgiving and just as rewarding, more so in a beautiful coupe body. It should be a couple of weeks and then a week or more putting it all back together again.

How long have you been waiting for the 635 to be done?

6 years and I've just torn it back from them. It has a lot of issues (check the E28 section of the forum for just one of them) and seeing it in such a state has not helped any love I had for it. The positives are that it runs (and doesn't feckin stop) and is in one piece..... mostly. It still looks pretty but for the time being it's on short leash, a tiny budget and it's future hangs in the balance, with perhaps a manual conversion could be it's saving grace......

As you can see, there is a fair bit of work to do and would be enough in itself. Unfortunately there was this as well!

D637603A-90E1-4DDF-AAFE-8C301C8C8906-126

Luckily I have some really solid donor parts that can be grafted in.

This is pants on the outside behaviour!!

FYI You can buy 1.0mm thick new sills and rear wheel arches from a Company called Klokkerholm in Norway via TJ Motorsport http://www.tjmotorsport.co.uk/index.php

I paid £120.50 and Postage was £17.99 for the 4 items 

Monthly deliveries - speak to Julie or Tim 01656 818804 / sales@tjmotorsport.co.uk

This is pants on the outside behaviour!!

FYI You can buy 1.0mm thick new sills and rear wheel arches from a Company called Klokkerholm in Norway via TJ Motorsport http://www.tjmotorsport.co.uk/index.php

I paid £120.50 and Postage was £17.99 for the 4 items 

Monthly deliveries - speak to Julie or Tim 01656 818804 / sales@tjmotorsport.co.uk

Cheers, that's very useful. I'll be sending them an email.

sell it to me!

I thought you were a three series man Simon ;)

I'll be down your way in just a couple of weeks if you'd like to look over the E34 Touring......

Me hoard?! I am but I've e34 itches to itch like a 540i manual and an m5. Whether that happens who knows, i'm always about Kevin so let me know