MadeinWigan

Avus E34 540/6 Touring restoration

i get hard for 540/6 wagons. I can see where they all are or were with you guys on here covering alot of them! Hero, i'd love one for a daily.

It's on the back burner at the moment. I'm hoping to get the welding done in the new year and treat any other rust, just make sure that it's solid.

I was going to put m5 seats in but I'm going to keep the light leather instead. It needs the roof rails sorting because they leak at the moment which has let to a damp interior and saggy headlining.

After that it needs either sls delete or possibly a new accumulator, I know a lot of the suspension was replaced recently.

Whatever happens it will get an mot again. As it's the only Avus 540/6t it needs to stay alive and it can be tidy again.

My new touring does put it into perspective though, it can't be made mint without throwing a lot of money at it but it can still be a good car.

That's a shame. I use webshots but I know it is changing at the moment. I'll have to load them up again.

Went to see it today as I needed to get few bits off the M5. I was going to start the engine but then remembered that it has no exhaust. It sounds brutal, absolutely no way you could use it like that!

There's not a massive amount to report at the moment. I'm waiting for the welding to be done so have just been doing small bits.

I'm concentrating on the electrics at the moment, when I swapped the door over from the M5 I was breaking I didn't connect all of the wiring. It was a very fiddly job connecting the door loom but I eventually got it. Result is one working door and electric window.

The car had got quite damp after standing over winter. This hasn't been kind to the headlining which is sagging in a few places and will need to be glued back up. I spent a day playing with wheels and left all of the doors open so at least it is nicely dried out now.

I'm unsure as to which wheels to put on the car. I've ruled out the Rondell 058's because even though they look great they're just not quite right for the car. This leaves me with a choice of M5 M Parras, staggered throwing stars or 17 inch Style 5's. What do you think?

AEE4D397-B6B0-41FB-A23F-975C7FEB426A-149

C0A5424B-9647-4752-B46D-FC9D46610A27-149

26591411-33B2-467F-9B07-1A051803ECE6-149

Edited by MadeinWigan

Same as me then! I bought the Style 5's after the usual bidding on eBay without really needing them. I'd seen an Avus saloon with style 5's and wasn't particularly impressed but for some reason they seem to suit the touring a lot more.

I've got three sets of throwing stars, could really do with selling a couple of sets.

Parras for me... Don't know why the stars don't look right... The 5's look sweet...

Have read you can heat roof lining up and melt the glue and restick... Not sure about this but worth investigating

Personally I'm not so keen on the 5's they look too 'fussy' for my liking with all the spokes-I've always felt the E34 suits simpler designs best. Way too much cleaning as well!

T-Stars look fine but the M-paras just shade it, probably on size which makes them nicely balanced on a Touring body.

And that is why I need so many sets of wheels. I really like the style 5 and M Parras.

I'd previously not considered Style 5's because they're awkward to clean but I won't be doing the miles for it to be a problem.

I was totting up my BMW wheel count the other day; 17" Classic, 18" Classic, 18" Softlines and 19" Classic II's in Alpina flavour. 17" style 5's, 18" M-Para's 17" style 32's and 15" style 5's so eight sets over 4 cars - and I sold a set of throwing stars recently.

As for the lovely Avus Touring, it's pretty unique and I think Style 5's really suit it well :)

for the damp inside. get a cereal bowl and fill it full with salt. leave it in the car and all the damp goes. worked a treat on mine after my leaking sunroof and hole in floor filling up when driving trough floods no damp in there now. although my headliner is ruinded. gonna recover it in black to match the rest of the interior.

depending on how much wet is in your car you may need to dry the salt out and redo.

Edited by Idiot

Good tip, it's pretty dry now, I have a couple of the windows open very slightly so that air circulates but no water gets in. I've also propped the carpet up in the drivers footwell, the roof rail on the drivers side seems to be letting water in which then goes down the A-pillar and down into the footwell. Luckily there's no rot there.

I was totting up my BMW wheel count the other day; 17" Classic, 18" Classic, 18" Softlines and 19" Classic II's in Alpina flavour. 17" style 5's, 18" M-Para's 17" style 32's and 15" style 5's so eight sets over 4 cars - and I sold a set of throwing stars recently.

As for the lovely Avus Touring, it's pretty unique and I think Style 5's really suit it well :)

I've not got the quality of wheels that you have Kevin, some pretty nice ones there. the Style 5's will stay on until MOT time, then they'll get a refurb. 

Can i have it please?

mp's for me

Ha, I assure you it looks better in the photo's than in the flesh but it will make a good car eventually. I think you're better off with you're Alpina even though it's given you headaches at the moment, that's a fantastic car.