MadeinWigan

Avus E34 540/6 Touring restoration

I've been looking through the history and it did most of its miles in its early life. It had the same owner between 2002 and 2011 and I'm the 3rd owner since then! It was up on eBay when I was on holiday in July last year. Strangely it was during that time that my old black touring came up for sale. Shows that the manual cars are rare but they do change owners frequently.

Also looking through the history it has had a fairly recent air con compressor and condensor. It's also had a clutch in the last 8000 miles. Along with the bilstein b12 kit that came with it I feel I've saved some of the money that will be going on the bodywork. That's man maths for you!

Its great to see a rare 540 in safe hands, keep the good work up icon_razz.gif

I know of a Artic Silver 540 touring manual on a P plate,with the sports kit, needs some work on the body, dented down the drivers side doors and back panel. i might keep a watch on it.

There was a silver AC Schnitzer'd example that I missed bidding on just after mine was trashed, I always wondered whether that would surface again. I beleive it was just stripes and wheels but it was tidy.

Good news on the decent Avus history, it should provide some peace of mind for some elements going forward. There are plenty of links for the SLS delete if you fit the Bilsteins and after a little digging I found how to cancel the SLS alarm as is now necessary for MoT's.

Edited by sharkfan

There was a silver AC Schnitzer'd example that I missed bidding on just after mine was trashed, I always wondered whether that would surface again. I belive it was just stripes an wheels but it was tidy.

Good news on the decent Avus history, it should provide some peace of mind for some elements going forward. There are plenty of links for the SLS delete if you fit the Bilsteins and after a little digging I found how to cancel the SLS alarm as is now necessary for MoT's.

The Artic Silver touring was on ebay last year, it went for £1,100 . i was watching it..... its now four miles down the road from me,its on a persons garden. Im hoping, its not another engine out job . Edited by Carl-e34

Here is the red 540, I seemed to remember it was worse TBH but looking at it its not bad at all, I must have been thinking of another touring

Did BH15018 die because of that?! That's less than £1000 in damages. I paid 10000SKR which is less than £1000 when I made this damage 7251798890_fe7d9096cd.jpg

DSCN1776 by Stephan735i, on Flickr and that included exchanging the interior to leather.

Lovely to see that MadeinWigan saving another 540i/6. I hope to see the Arktissilber Limo back on the road as well!

As my list shows this is the only RHD 540iT/6 in Avusblau, in the other versions of 540i Touring there were;

HK42 540iAT RHD; 1st in Avusblau with Schwarz Leder Sport seats, GB64149 a late MY 1995 for the UK.

HK31 540iT/6 LHD; 8st including one with EDCIII/Nürburgring suspension, M Technic spoilers with contrast paint, M5 door sills, M5 tape between the tail lights, that one is in Moscow now with 520i front bumper and standard shocks in the front.

HK41 540iAT LHD; 13st.

Of the four versions of 540i Touring E34 the built number were;

HK31 6speed LHD; 499st (5st is Alpina B10 4,6)

HK32 6speed RHD; 62st

HK41 Automatic LHD; 1671st (13st is Alpina B10 4,6, 4st is Alpina B10 4,0)

HK42 Automatic RHD; 227st (1st is Alpina B10 4,6, the only RHD Alpina E34 V8 made in it's home country)

Compare that with;

E39 M5 RHD; 2595st

E34 M5 RHD; 1132st (including the South-African made)

E60 M5 RHD; 3646st

E61 M5 RHD; 222st

E36 Z3M Roadster RHD; 997st

E46 M3 Cabrio RHD; 7234st

E46 M3 CSL RHD; 542st (and people think they are rare!)

I hate reading about E30 or 02 or Capris being made by scrapping 540i/6 E34 and very happy to see a tread like this!

540i/6 is such a wonderful car, it has it all, it's comfortable, fast, economical, beautiful and very fun to drive with very few faults;

Bad owners, expensive clutch/fly wheel and now rust (only after 10 years +) on floor, exhaust and under the M-skirts and maybe in some country/for some owners high insurance premiums.

Regards Stephan

PS; Looking forward on the process of BH15041 made to what it should be.

Thanks Stephan,

I've decided that the car is going to remain mostly standard. It will have staggered t/star wheels, short shifter, 3.15 lsd and stainless exhaust. The main focus will be making sure that the body is solid and then sorting the paint and interior.

I was thinking of supercharging it but as it has the original engine and gearbox I think it is best to keep it as is.

The silver saloon has blown its original engine so I think that will be supercharged.

kudos to you my man for taking on such a project and hopefully because it is such a rare model the enthusiasm will stay with you until it is finished and you can then enjoy it look forward to reading more icon_mrgreen.gif

Thanks chaps.

I've explained the situation to a friend who is more into modern stuff, saying that if you really want one of the RHD tourings or any older car, you have to make sacrifices and be prepared for a bit of ugliness. He thinks that i'm crazy and i'm slighty inclined to agree. Why am I so drawn to a near twenty odd year old design when there is newer stuff that is technically better.

I've found a post by Stephan about the 62 RHD 540/6's made

I have just got all equipmentlists of the 62 manufactured HK32 540iT/6 and I will start with exterior/interior, looks like this;

Exterior

1, Oxfordgr�n 14 cars

2, Calypsorot 7 cars

2, Orientblau 7 cars

2, Arktissilber 7 cars

5, Cosmosschwarz 5 cars

6, Fjordgrau 4 cars

7, Arktisgrau 3 cars

8, Alpinweiss III 2 cars

8, Sorrentblau 2 cars

8, Diamantschwarz 2 cars

11, Hellrot 1 car

11, Kaschmirbeige 1 car (only one with LSD, all others has ASC+T)

11, Technoviolett 1 car

11, Avusblau 1 car (only one with Individualpaint)

11, Petrol-Mica 1 car

11, Ascotgr�n 1 car

11, Aspensilber 1 car

11, Montrealblau 1 car

11, Brokatrot 1 car

Interior

1, Silbergrau Leather 21 cars

2, Schwarz Leather 20 cars

3, Silbergrau Hell Leather 9 cars

4, Pergament Leather 8 cars

5, Anthrazit Velour 2 cars

5, Silbergrau Velour 2 cars

Truly rare cars from the start, even more so with all colors known=)

Stephan

I have to sadly relay the news that the only Petrol Mica Tourer (pergament interior) on this list has reached the end of the road. It only has 90K on the clock but is being converted into an AC Cobra kit car! To be fair, its got the rust worm but its another one gone.

Geoff

I've got enough parts lying around to get that petrol mica one going again, can't take them all on though unfortunately.

I've had a quick quote for my welding and it isn't a scary amount at all, i'm hoping to get it up on the ramps in the next couple of weeks after i've taken care of the M5. Hopefully there's no big horrors underneath. I know we can take care of any mechanical issues so it's only extensive rust that could stop play.

I've got enough parts lying around to get that petrol mica one going again, can't take them all on though unfortunately.

I've had a quick quote for my welding and it isn't a scary amount at all, i'm hoping to get it up on the ramps in the next couple of weeks after i've taken care of the M5. Hopefully there's no big horrors underneath. I know we can take care of any mechanical issues so it's only extensive rust that could stop play.

The Petrol one goes to the scrap yard next week. It really has been stripped out, you would need a complete donor to get it running again I have the interior though . :mrgreen:

Edited by Dongiov

I have to sadly relay the news that the only Petrol Mica Tourer (pergament interior) on this list has reached the end of the road. It only has 90K on the clock but is being converted into an AC Cobra kit car! To be fair, its got the rust worm but its another one gone.

Geoff

I thought the Petrol one was an auto Geoff??

I thought the Petrol one was an auto Geoff??

Martin,

You are right, sorry, just realised this is the list of manuals. Oh well, who's got the list of 540i/autos? Strike one Petrol off that list.

G

Just a small update, i've not spent masses of time on the car so far as I was bust stripping the M5 and selling the supercharged car. Now that is out of the way I can concentrate on getting this car back into decent shape.

This is the bare minimum that needs doing before it can become my daily car :-

- Welding, got the parts, just needs to be booked in to be done.

- SLS delete, think there is a problem with the accumulators as the rear sits very high. I have the B12 kit ready to go on, just need top mounts and loop the hydraulics.

- Fit different alloys, the current ones don't work with two-tone bumpers.

- Potentially use rubber grommets to plug roof rail holes. The rails are in a state and are allowing water to leak in. I have a soggy carpet and saggy headlining.

- Try to repair the exhaust. It sounds brilliant even though it looks standard. It's not noisy but has a great V8 sound.

- Fix a hydraulic leak under the bonnet.

- Replace fuel liines

- Fit LSD, either 3.15 or 3.23.

- Fit M5 brakes

- Fit M5 Seats and centre console etc. Shampoo carpet.

- Give it a really good service, oil, coolant, brake fluid, filters, plugs etc

- Fit short shift kit. Got E39 M5 one or choice of 2 custom ones.

So far i've swapped over the bumpers, front wings and bonnet, they are in much better condition than the ones that were on it. Not a perfect colour match but pretty good. The wheels have been changed and make the car look so much better.

2012423820093851308S500x500Q85.jpg

It's going to be a long summer!

Edited by MadeinWigan

It was sold whole, think that the engine will end up in a drift car and then I imagine the car will come back on the market as a std manual car. The wheels are on eBay already!

Wow it already looks good with the bumper and wheel change, but its going to be amazing when you're done with it 8)

Thanks, I feel a lot more encouraged after changing the wheels. It's amazing what difference small changes make, like the M5 infill on your car (HCP), completely changes the look.

It's never going to be a show car but it's got a lot of potential to be a nice old bus.

Thanks chaps.

I've explained the situation to a friend who is more into modern stuff, saying that if you really want one of the RHD tourings or any older car, you have to make sacrifices and be prepared for a bit of ugliness. He thinks that i'm crazy and i'm slighty inclined to agree. Why am I so drawn to a near twenty odd year old design when there is newer stuff that is technically better.

I've found a post by Stephan about the 62 RHD 540/6's made

I have just got all equipmentlists of the 62 manufactured HK32 540iT/6 and I will start with exterior/interior, looks like this;

Exterior

1, Oxfordgr�n 14 cars

2, Calypsorot 7 cars

2, Orientblau 7 cars

2, Arktissilber 7 cars

5, Cosmosschwarz 5 cars

6, Fjordgrau 4 cars

7, Arktisgrau 3 cars

8, Alpinweiss III 2 cars

8, Sorrentblau 2 cars

8, Diamantschwarz 2 cars

11, Hellrot 1 car

11, Kaschmirbeige 1 car (only one with LSD, all others has ASC+T)

11, Technoviolett 1 car

11, Avusblau 1 car (only one with Individualpaint)

11, Petrol-Mica 1 car

11, Ascotgr�n 1 car

11, Aspensilber 1 car

11, Montrealblau 1 car

11, Brokatrot 1 car

Interior

1, Silbergrau Leather 21 cars

2, Schwarz Leather 20 cars

3, Silbergrau Hell Leather 9 cars

4, Pergament Leather 8 cars

5, Anthrazit Velour 2 cars

5, Silbergrau Velour 2 cars

Truly rare cars from the start, even more so with all colors known=)

Stephan

Sorry to announce that the only Aspen Silver HK32 6sp tourer on Stephan's list has a seriosu case of rust worm and is being broken. It has spent it's life near the Wash and the last owner used it when fishing. Every panel is rusty so the current owner is taking the drivetrain out and putting it in a 525 saloon.

Details here http://bmwenthusiast...php?f=52&t=1731,

See pages 13 onwards for the 540!

Edited by Dongiov

Sorry to announce that the only Aspen Silver HK32 6sp tourer on Stephan's list has a seriosu case of rust worm and is being broken. It has spent it's life near the Wash and the last owner used it when fishing. Every panel is rusty so the current owner is taking the drivetrain out and putting it in a 525 saloon.

Jesus, thats another gone :?