vanhool

E28 dashboard cracks repair

10 posts in this topic

Hi Friends, As per the title really, has anyone on here successfully repaired the cracks in their e28 dashboards insitu, and if so would like to share the method with me I'am thinking along the lines of black silicone sealant its how would I remove the excess from around the area of the cracks without ruining the appearance of the dash. TIA Steve

Not sure about using sealant - is there access for you to get a sealant gun in to where the cracks in your dash are? I've found with that kind of sealant in the past a wet finger is usually the 'tool' for smoothing it. It usually wipes off fairly easily while its still wet too - so I guess if you messed it up a wet cloth would get rid and you could start again?

Luckily my dash top is ok - maybe others have already done this.

Mine has started in a number of places. I have superglued one (a few thin coats into the crack) and it seems to have stopped it getting any bigger, but some are now 1-2mm and too wide.

Roll on the Honda Civic :(

Would be less of an effort to just source/replace the current dash with a crackfree one. Once they start to go, they're gone. Either that, or buy a dashmat and forget about it!

A product i have suggested before in answer to this question, but not personally used, is laminate filler, this is a product used by kitchen fitters to fill any (badly cut joints) imperfections or chips in a laminate worktop. It is available in a variety of colours including black, and usually comes in small applicaters with tiny nozzels, controllable and much more condusive to access in an e28 dash repair situation, than a big tube and mastic gun.

12quidkidinnit likes this

Concur with Baveria's comments, I fixed a dash exactly like this about 5 years ago now, using black silicon. Less is more though!

I have a mint black E28 dash in the spare room that needs to go. Fancy it.

or buy a dashmat and forget about it!
Just keeping the thing polished isn't a bad shout

I have a mint black E28 dash in the spare room that needs to go. Fancy it.

Sorry to hijack, but I might be interested in the dash. Please PM me if you fancy selling it to me.

Thanks,

Jody