Raymond

E39 Lumbar support Install Guide 'How to'

Just a couple of additional pictures for the thread.

Seat base with pump and hoses installed

4adf27250f1c6f75da102dbc1f28ea6d.jpg

Backrest with bladders mat in place (it takes some extra time and finesse to slide it in if you have the side to side metal reinforcement)

ec40766657cac5ada2eebdc14b0783a0.jpg

Diverter valve in place with all the wiring and hoses connected.

ebd768aed737bef1cb5e5c0a86871d64.jpg

Edited by Juan Ignacio Caino

Excellent install. I wonder if you can assist me. I have just bought this kit from a forum member and will be installing in a few weeks. I have manual seats but they are heated. Does this mean that I have the power cables already present in the seats or will I have to run new ones?

1 hour ago, oberlointment said:

Excellent install. I wonder if you can assist me. I have just bought this kit from a forum member and will be installing in a few weeks. I have manual seats but they are heated. Does this mean that I have the power cables already present in the seats or will I have to run new ones?

I'm sure more knowledgeable people will chime in soon, as far as I'm concerned I've never seen a manual seats e39. My car had one memory seat and one electric seat (driver and passenger respectively). The driver's had all the cables for the non present features like lumbar support and heat. The passenger had just the cables it needed for running what it had installed.

My 2001 car had heated and electric adjustment sports seats but wasn't pre-wired for the lumbar. Reading some posts on Bimmerforums etc it looks like US spec cars might have been. Easiest way to check is pop off the switch cover and see if the lumbar connector is there but I doubt it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 2001 car had heated and electric adjustment sports seats but wasn't pre-wired for the lumbar. Reading some posts on Bimmerforums etc it looks like US spec cars might have been. Easiest way to check is pop off the switch cover and see if the lumbar connector is there but I doubt it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or remove the seat connector flip up tray cover and feel for the pump connector, about 3" to 4" away from the large seat connector.

I eventually got round to installing the lumbar in my passenger seat this weekend and as I was fitting the wiring I realised that the wiring is different lengths for driver and passenger seats! When I fitted the driver side last year it was an incredibly tight fit to install the seat switch and now I know why. I switched the wiring over and it made re-fitting the seat plastic so much easier.  

Both the side plastic seat covers that house the switches were scratched on mine so it's worth noting that both sides can be purchased for just £37.45inc 

I eventually got round to installing the lumbar in my passenger seat this weekend and as I was fitting the wiring I realised that the wiring is different lengths for driver and passenger seats! When I fitted the driver side last year it was an incredibly tight fit to install the seat switch and now I know why. I switched the wiring over and it made re-fitting the seat plastic so much easier.  

Both the side plastic seat covers that house the switches were scratched on mine so it's worth noting that both sides can be purchased for just £37.45inc 

Wiring and piping. My passenger's seat install was the first one of them seats and I postponed the drivers on account of estimated needed time, when I finally got to it I discovered it was already wired. All I need was installing bladders, hoses and pump.

I had to remove my passenger seat for some other work so thought I'd tidy up the lumbar wiring as I fitted it with the seat in the car. As I had the lumbar pump in a bag instead of the nice fitted bracket I ordered one off eBay:

Fitted pump:

IMG_4125.thumb.JPG.556bb50a7cb7b3aa4ff6c5ded279298f.JPG

This is the new neater type:

IMG_4124.thumb.JPG.813e21fc786bab2fe6478a9f968e9216.JPG

But the pump looks like it;s missing something by the nozzle and the plug is male so won't plug into the loom:

IMG_4123.thumb.JPG.da1b4bdda16eae36eba1a06324e14f80.JPG

Are the pumps interchangeable and do I just need to swap the plug? 

The newer style is much tidier and fits under the seat much neater so would prefer to use if I can

Does anyone know?