Raymond

E39 Lumbar support Install Guide 'How to'

Hi Ray,

I've had a look at the lumbar kit I got from Keith as thought I'd like to be fully prepared before I pull the seats out to do this. Am I missing a couple of plugs where I have cut wires and what's the red taped up bit about? Keith says he got the kit from you so thought you'd be able help :)

post-42464-0-58801300-1445174206_thumb.j

cheers

Barry

Hi Barry

I'll have a look at the pictures as it was pretty straight forward. The taped up bit was to do with the part of the loom for heating. The white one I can't remember of hand but isn't needed.

I'm away ATM but will upload some more pictures when back. It'll all make more sense then..

Cheers, I have heated seats and the 'normal' electric controls so presumed it would just be plug 'n play but hopefully your other photos will help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The white connector definitely is not used. I think that's the one for the seat heating.

One of the black ones goes to the compressor (the mini body bag) and the other to the actuator which lives in the backrest.

I will get some more pictures up but so short of time atm it's unreal  :neutral:

So with a few days off I'm thinking about installing the lumbar stuff so popped one of the side covers off in the hope I'd find the seat was pre-wired as it's already fully electric and heated but it's not :(

I'm guessing I just need to splice in the 4 wires on each loom:

57bb78f233e3f_2016-08-2120.43.32-1.jpg.7

57bb78f2bb703_2016-08-2120.41.11HDR.jpg.

I guess the brown & red are live & earth but does anyone know what the white/blue & white/yellow are for and where I splice these into the existing loom? I'm ok on taking things apart & putting back together but not so great on making up the electrics bit so any help gratefully accepted.

I'm a new registered member, I will introduce myself properly soon, for the time being I just wanted to thank the OP for this writeup.

You guys have a great community here.

Well I tried to do the retrofit yesterday, had everything prepared, even wrapped the additional wiring in the OEM cloth tape and such. I found out that my backrests have an almost complete steel plates behind the trim cover, making it impossible to slide the bladders pad in place. I will be removing the upholstery in the backrests so I can gain access to positioning the mat and the diverter valve and then will complete the retrofit.

That's bad luck, I'm hoping to pop the back cover off one of my seats next weekend but not heard of anyone else with a similar problem to you!

14 minutes ago, BarryM said:

That's bad luck, I'm hoping to pop the back cover off one of my seats next weekend but not heard of anyone else with a similar problem to you!

I know :'( Almost all internet pictures shows a clean access to the frame once you remove the cover. My seats have a steel place from side to side of the frame, from where the headrest mechanism ends to about a 3.75""window" from the lower part of the frame. You just cannot push the foam and slide the mat using that flimsy almost 4" of space. You see the "square wave" looking wire in the suchin support spring but not much below that. I'll document the upholstery removal route just in case somebody has the bad luck I have.

Thanks Raymond, realised that today after connecting the pump and wiring up to a small battery pack . Managed to slide the bladder into position for the driver's seat whilst it's still in the car but then had to stop as it started to rain. Will try and put up some photos to fill in the missing stuff from the beginning of the thread.

Here are a couple of photos showing where the air pads sit and the valve unit.

You can push the pad up from the bottom, I found it was easier to try and compress the back foam and push rather than pull from above:

57cb543c9bde3_2016-09-0315.05.25HDR.thum

The air valve unit sits in here with the connections pointing upwards:

57cb5444df874_2016-09-0315.49.15HDR.thum

Ok, well it takes a bit of perseverance to get the first part under the springs but the trick is to compress the foam and push upwards as the plastic bags will slide although it's a slow job to start with as you progress it gets easier

Ok, well it takes a bit of perseverance to get the first part under the springs but the trick is to compress the foam and push upwards as the plastic bags will slide although it's a slow job to start with as you progress it gets easier

Dang! Maybe I was so scared of puncturing them bags that I quitted the battle early. Will see if I can succeed tomorrow

86141997c74e3c46d24c516f9ac4cdf6.jpg

Well, succeeded on the passenger side.

The only issue I have is that upper/lower back support is reverted although I checked on the wires and connected the diverter as it should be. I even bench tested both of my wiring looms and worked OK on the bench.

2 hours ago, Juan Ignacio Caino said:

Well, succeeded on the passenger side. The only issue I have is that upper/lower back support is reverted although I checked on the wires and connected the diverter as it should be. I even bench tested both of my wiring looms and worked OK on the bench.

emoji36.png

I was gonna mention this today as I noticed the same when testing the pump so did what Raymond suggested and switched over the tubing. I'm very impressed with the range the lumbar supports give :)

Thanks to Raymond for creating this retrofit, I'll add a few photos which are missing in case they help anyone in the future.

This shows the bladder fitted, note the lower edge as they don't need to go right to the top, push them up too far and the tubing won't reach to the air valve!

57cc8a840c4ec_2016-09-0413.35.19HDR.thum 

This photo shows the air valve fitted with the 3 air tubes running to it, note the tube and wiring from under the seat come up in a gap between the front seat and backrest. I used an M4 nut & screw to attach the air valve to the seat.

57cc8a835d8c9_2016-09-0413.36.13.thumb.j

I used this plug under the front r/h side to connect to the electrics, you just need the red and brown:

57cc8a84967e4_2016-09-0412.35.12.jpg.6b9

I'm pleased to have got the driver side done but need a replacement air diverter valve as the one in my kit is broken to do the passenger side :(

Yes, I was going just for that, swapping the blue/red hoses. Also I'll try and see if I didn't mismatch plugs from the pump and the little valve thing that goes in between the pump and the diverter valve, maybe that's it. In any case there'll be an easy fix, I need to take out the back trim cover since the clips were missing and I just got it to lock on the metal frame, but will be ordering the locks just for peace of mind. There's nothing like knowing you botched something that no one sees but you know you should have done better :D

I did passenger side first because my wife has more severe back problems than I do, and being short she finds the largeish E39 seats lacking support in the lumbar area. I want it just for bling and long long trips.

Well the memory driver's seat had all the wiring for the lumbar support so I'm finishing up.

However I've ran into a bit of troubles.

The check valve seems to have wiring for memory function and the one I got hasn't.

I have this on one end

15326894c69f72e6bc75a4a61be6b1f2.jpg

And this in the other

bdcbf46ab358cdf19ddf27eb51f2de7a.jpg

I've removed the little lock thing that's pointing in the other direction so that gave access to the terminals lock tabs. I can reposition as needed and then replace the lock with a matching keyway direction one (have a lot of little connectors and such.

Raymond or any wiring wizard extraordinaire, please would you know how should I connect them?

For the knowledge database: I just plugged it in after removing the keyway pointing in the other direction and it works as should.

If you encounter this issue, white and yellow in the valve side connects to brown and white with blue stripe respectively.

Now I have lumbar support on both seats.

Thanks to Raymond and all the sharing persons here.

22 minutes ago, Raymond said:

Excellent work. Only just received your message sorry.

Thanks! I realized that I used a weird tapatalk "IM" thing and that you might not see it until you used your phone, so I went ahead using german logic: If you have yellow and white leads on one end, avoid the lead that's both white and yellow on the other side of the connector. :P worked like a charm.