Raymond

E39 Lumbar support Install Guide 'How to'

Just choose any E39/E38 and select either comfort seat or contour seat and they'll be listed under there

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Thanks, but one question, it's to hard for you told me where in what section or even put the part list numbers???

cheers,

Definitely worth it!

For completeness I can add a potentially useful tidbit of info: There are actually two different versions of the lumbar support bits. One is as covered in Ray's write up that has a safety pressure limit switch integrated in the pump assembly. The other has the pressure switch as a separate part that sits in the air line in the backrest on the opposite side to the control valve. So there is one more 'bit', a slightly different routing of the air line and some wiring out to the switch also. Functionally identical.

I'm not sure if the difference is related to E38/E39, model year or random. Probably the latter :). I have the first version on my 2001 comfort seats, but my 2000 E38 contours have the second version.

Just thought I'd add that in case any potential lumbar-retrofitters come across the other system and get as confused as I did temporarily :).

Haha Kevin. It's definitely worth it though isn't it?

Liam; I didn't know about the different lumbar systems on E38/E39. I have a feeling the 'old system' was used in the early E38s?

I haven't driven the car yet so don't know for sure but fitting the rare lumbar to the E34 sports seats certainly made already very good seats much better so I'm hoping for the same from the E39 sports seats.

Thought I should get the 'proper' lumbar thread back up..........Raymond, any chance of the photos to go with the instructions seeing as I have the kit on the way to me :)

cheers

Barry

Right, I have all the pictures back up online but obviously all annotations have been lost. I'll try and find some time to draw them back on. If not I'll upload the pictures as they are.

I'd settle for the pictures without the annotations to be honest, anything to make it a bit easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've done a few last night. I'll try and get some more up tonight if I get a minute.

Discovered today that my 528i with manual seats has lumber. One motor is whirring but no seat movement. Also discovered this thread in a Google search. Amazing write up. Looking forward to the pics as well so when I remove my seats to see why I can't adjust the seat height on either, I can hopefully fix lumbar function as well. Thanks Raymond!

Edited by LovinBin