Raymond

E39 Lumbar support Install Guide 'How to'

This is a guide on how to add Lumbar Support to your existing seats.

First of all a massive thank you to Trisman who gave me the lumbar bits free of charge! :cool:

Following bits are needed:

2 x Electric or manual adjusted seats
2 x Diverter valve
2 x Lumbar support bladder (inflatable pad)
2 x Lumbar support Air pump
2 x Wiring loom
2 x 4-way switch
1 x Pack of plasters

This is where the switch is going to live. It has a blanking plate that can be removed rather than cutting a marked hole like the E53 and E46.

HPIM2193_zps96ogsni5.jpg

First remove the seat side trim by removing two torx screws. (green arrows) One in front and one hidden where the seat base meets the backrest. Also remove the three plastic poppers. (red arrows)

HPIM2189_zpsycy9zkt2.jpg
HPIM2188_zpshxknnqt8.jpg
HPIM2192_zps26ikqnce.jpg
HPIM2191_zpsvvrmgzhq.jpg
HPIM2190_zpskb8cpijx.jpg

With the trim off you can remove the blanking plate and the cable guide by pressing the tabs arrowed.

773f6ce8.jpg
1981e1ee.jpg

The pump comes in a bag and is cable tied to the bar and lives where the green rectangle is. From there there's a tube going to the diverter valve in the backrest and a feed from the loom.

996091e4.jpg

This is where the power feed and air supply to the diverter valve runs.

f3ab3695.jpg

Take the back of the back rest by either pulling it from the bottom or undo two torx screws at the bottom. Some seats have screws some clips.

The green square is where the lumbar support bladder is going to be installed and the red one is where the diverter valve will be.

74bc79ff.jpg

Slide the mat between the foam and the springs. Kids tools to press the foam down come in handy here....

64832096.jpg
12ae9f52.jpg

Once the mat is in you need to slide the diverter valve over the clip (red arrow) and secure with a torx screw (green arrow.

ebd43a57.jpg

All installed. The wiring loom just needs a +ve and -ve so they need to be tapped in at the junction points.

c26b07a2.jpg

Whoohoo, an extra button...... Ignore the mucky car. It'll get a wash over the weekend.

23f0d9c1.jpg

Edited by Raymond

Possibly the only standard leather seats with lumbar support in the UK?

That deserves my respect.

Btw Tris can I have that 523i MAF you've got on eBay for free? :)

Edited by Piper

Retrofit King!

What's the other blanking plate for?

The one near the front is for 'thigh support' (knee pusher outerer thing) like in Sport seats and Contours.

The one on the top near the rear is for the 'kink' in the backrest of Comfort seats, Contour sets and Active seats.

Oh does that mean they are not fit able to yours Ray?

Yeah, it's doable but for thigh support you'll need to change the seat base and for the comfort bit the whole backrest.

The 7 will most likely have Comforts or Contours so I'm done for now.....

.....unless a set of Active parts come up GOOF.gif

Ray, was that PDF actually of any use?

Loving your work as always mate! Active seats? There is loads on ebay all the time! Oh no, wait a minute, i've seen 2 sets in the last 3 years and one of them was stateside!

PDF was a bit odd as you said and had wires going through the bulkhead for some reason :?

Studied the wiring colours though but when it came complete with loom it was too easy to fit. :-P Just chopped the SRS stuff off and joined the + & -ve and all was good.

Thought I had to strip the whole seat and cut into the foam but it's straight forward.

You having some :mrgreen: Tim just so happens to have a set of manual seats in with lumbar 8)

Very impressive Ray, especially loving the arty pebble backrounds in the pics.

Ha ha. Kids Play-Doh mat. No Play-Dohing today kids! :twisted:

Looking forward to your massaging retrofit write up.

As soon as I find a reasonable priced set I'll get some and fit them. They can always be removed and taken to my next car.

How are you getting on with the heated seats?

I've got sports seats ray, not sure the lumbar support is compatible?

Yeah, they go in Sport seats. The mat goes in the lower backrest only. They have lumbar in Contours which are Sport and Comforts combined.

The thing you can't have is the Active bit as the thigh support on Sports is in the way.

It's a cheap mod and it gives you another toy.

I've got sports seats ray, not sure the lumbar support is compatible?

Yeah, I thought that too. When I bought my car way back in the mists of time, I specified sports seats with lumbar support and it arrived without. Dealer told me that it wasn't possible on sports seats and gave me the money I paid for it, back.

The base of the the Sport seats is the same as the Contour seats which come with lumbar. Even the M5 seat base is not so much different neither and comes with lumbar support.

The lumbar support sits here. V. Nothing to do with the base. :wink:

Contour-1.jpg

How are you getting on with the heated seats?

Just collecting all the bits at the moment Ray.

The switch panel has arrived from eBay in ze fatherland, looms are on their way from bmminiparts and i'll be buying the heater pads in the next couple of days.

I was going to get new foam for the drivers seat as they are going to be apart, but at £166.99 +VAT for the base and backrest i think i may leave it, or just get the base.

I've still got the black carpet and all the associated black trim to change yet so that's going to be the ideal time to do the seats. I've got a fortnight off work in September so will probably do it all in one go then.

Hi there, one question, do you have all the parts number for this DIY?

I have the electric sports seats in my e39, and I want the lumbar support...

thanks and good write up!!!!

You'll be able to find all part numbers on realoem.com

If you buy all parts new from the dealer prepare yourself for a £400+ bill

Give Tims a shout instead

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

I'm impressed how quick you did this!! Epic! :)

Now you'll need one of these:

$(KGrHqZ,!gwE63O0iJ)cBO)8D3F73w~~60_12.JPG

Think I have a couple of them knocking around

You'll be able to find all part numbers on realoem.com

If you buy all parts new from the dealer prepare yourself for a £400+ bill

Give Tims a shout instead

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Hi, I konw I can find those numbers in the realoem, but as you know, realoem are HUGE, so, can you put please the direct link of the realoem?, or can you wright here the part numbers list?

thanks,