stu_tay

E60 vibration on braking and driving

looking for help

I noticed a shudder and vibration when braking from just about any speed, also feel like there is a wobble when driving the car at just about any speed. have the car in the stealers today... nothing found!

They checked the disc for warpaged...nothing,

bushs drive shaft...both nothing.

All looks OK but yet its still there!!!!

they are going to change the wheels out with another set from a donner car, but I already told them that its the same with the winter and summer wheels on so dont think its going to throw up much....

any thoughts / experiences?

car is a 520d M Sport ... auto if it helps ??

cheers!

is it only under braking? If so here is a simple test to check it's the disks (which it sounds like it is)

Under drive lightly(!) apply the brakes - (keep your foot on the throttle, so you are still accelerating with your foot on the brake) does the car vibrate? If so it's 100% the disks.

As an additional test you can repeat with the handbrake to check if it's the rear brakes.

The handbrake applies shoes inside the rear disc hub, these are not used in normal braking.

I would say the discs, I've had discs on a Ford which were not warped but had discolourations in an area of the disc.

I too have noticed a vibration/shudder on deccelaration mainly, accentuated by braking. I also work at a secondhand car sales site with a few 5 series on it. I took another 520d 08 out on a test drive and it does it as well, but not as much. But it is defintetley there. I almost shrugged it off as a manual 520d thing.

Too get the car to do it l just lift off all pedals at say 40mph ( any speed really) and then depress the clutch. When the revs drop to around the 1500 rpm mark it makes the shudder. If you brake at the same time it feels slightly worse. With weight in the car (passengers) it is def stronger.

I wouldn't say it is brake related in my case.

I wondered if it is some sort of engine damper/bush failure?

Any further thoughts. Anyone else fancy testing there e60's on it :?

Hi

Have a front wheels balanced, then fit them in and have them ballanced again. Sometimes balancing after fitting is needed.

Also, discs a bit twisted, which is no detectable unless appropriate tool used.

I would say either discs (probably) or tyres (certainly)

Fun flats start to go out of shape when they are worn, they've probably got some high and low spots on them.

Jack it up and spin a wheel taking a reference point at the top of the tyre, and look for a wobble affect, that will be a misshaped tyre. You will feel the wobble more on braking as the weight shifts to the front wheels under braking.

Difficult to cure this with balancing because the tyres are heavy anyway with all that run flat reinforcement.