MANDER

AIRBAG OCCUPANCY SENSOR BYPASS

It'll be a COMPLETE ball-ache fitting the mat with the seat in place.

You might have to go for one of the cheating bypass boxes after all.

Basically the leather covering needs to come off the base.

Have you tried resetting the airbag light first?

Nope cant reset it with my code reader, But will try resetting it tomz at the meetn with someones reader if all fails like you said i'll have to go for a cheating box :P

Edited by MANDER

Wohoooo fitted the bypass today took like 2mins to fit airbag light is off :D , also fixed brake pad warning light man sooo happy to see this... no warning lights or anything :D

post-36994-0-89993100-1328980306_thumb.j

Good stuff! Did the light go off on it's own after fitting?

Which of the 2 links did you buy from as I need one as well? :rolleyes:

Edited by 540i/6DB

I fitted one to my e60 when I first got the the car but only last week did I get the light reset thanks to willie. No more annoyin bong and huge warning in idrive screen!

As above do they really work? which ones have you tried ?

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item35b904af12

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2c629e69e5

Hi all, 1st post and sadly not a good one plus I'm an E46 owner although the new 5 Series on Top Gear last night was awesome 8)

anyway, I'm the seller of the 1st item MANDER linked to so I contacted Mander, tristan & mcenroe as I came across this thread/forum when Googling for my item. I've got concerns about the 2nd item MANDER bought (I'm now aware tristan also bought from this seller) as I've come across this seller before. I've been aware that the seller makes these bypasses incorrectly as I've been contacted by people who've bought from him before but then they stopped working a while later. I've done a free swap with those people and what I've found is that the seller misses components and also just wraps the wires around with no solder, hence the reason they stopped working :shock: . I sent Mander one of my plugs and simply asked him to send me the one he bought in return so I could test it and open it

this is the picture of what MANDER sent me when I cracked it open and I just untwisted the wires that were wrapped up. I would urge tristan to crack his open to see if his is the same because if it is then I will send you one of my plugs

pic02.jpg

Because of what I've found, I've posted this as a warning because the main concern is not just the the poor quality but the fact that it's missing components to simulate the resistance of a passenger sitting on the seat. Therefore the car thinks the seat is UNOCCUPIED just as it would if the occupancy sensor mat was working OK without a passenger sitting in it. So it means the passenger airbag wouldn't deploy in the event of a severe enough crash regardless of someone sitting in the seat as the occupancy is bypassed with the UNOCCUPIED module!

I've got software that I can connect to my car and I've found that even the schematics you find on the web to make these yourself don't work properly so I've possibly made them in the past incorrectly! Now I know that the bypasses simulate occupancy as the car connection tests come back as OCCUPIED. In my listing I also warn people the seatbelt may sound (especially in a later E60) because of this yet other sellers don't and again this is a big clue as to whethere it's OCCUPIED or UNOCCUPIED

this is what I see when I connect and read a correctly made bypass unit when testing my plugs

occupied_test.jpg

What's puzzling is that he actually has this comment in his listings

Are you concerned that your airbags may not deploy in the event of an accident?

You may think I'm telling fibs but here is proof that this seller doesn't even know how to do it. Last month I actually found that sellers post on the E46 fanatics forum asking about the OCCUPIED status and him trying to resolve it! :shock:

http://forum.e46fana...34#post12659234

Not sure which resistor to use - 3.3K, 4.7K or 47K as all three of these have been mentioned in the previous posts. Will all 3 make the status of the passenger seat 'OCCUPIED'

Any ideas?

http://forum.e46fana...79#post12660779

The light will defo go out with the old circuit i.e. 2 100ohm resistors in series with the diode. However, I dont think this makes the seat 'OCCUPIED' and that is what I am trying to resolve.

Floorjacker - you say that you have tried them all but did you reset the codes man?

it's him due to the username and subject because if you look at his airbagmodules ID history, you can see his E46fanatics forum name is the same as one of his previous eBay names.

http://contact.ebay....d=airbagmodules

he used to sell them with another eBay account but he switched to this airbagmodules account recently as he kept getting his items removed with the other account. This is his other account and you can see this by going into his feedback and clicking the links for the airbag modules that they have been removed.

http://feedback.ebay...eedbackAsSeller

plus if you look at items he currenty sells (dodgy CD copies of manuals) and then click contact details at the bottom, you will see his name is also a previous username of the airbagmodules account above

his post on the E46fanatics forum asking what to do was in July last year but you can see by his other account feedback he'd been selling them since late 2010! He's still making them this way so I've posted this as a warning to anyone and sorry for the long post and I hope I haven't broken any rules

Cheers

Mac

Interesting.........

I've just bought one of these from Mr.Airbagmodules (not quite the same-mine had an OEM-type plug so it wasn't a cut & shut the wires job). Had the light reset 2 weeks ago & OK so far.

I'll be opening it up when the wife returns with the car in light of this.

Interesting.........

I've just bought one of these from Mr.Airbagmodules (not quite the same-mine had an OEM-type plug so it wasn't a cut & shut the wires job). Had the light reset 2 weeks ago & OK so far.

I'll be opening it up when the wife returns with the car in light of this.

hopefully it's got what it should but if you are unsure as it's not the same as the picture above then if you upload a picture I'll be able to see

I want to thank Mac for helping me out and making us aware of this prat selling these dodgey bypasses, i sent him a message regarding the findings of his bypass, heres the message he sent back to me:

Hi,

I understand your concern. The as clearly says that no guaantees can be given about passenger airbag deployment and also that this is a short term fix and not a long term solution.

In any case, the airbags are NOT the primary safety mechanism. It is the seatbelt.

Regards,

Mac - Do you have a link to your modules please? (PM me if you wish)

as I bought one of the cheepy "box with diode" style ones (I opened it up and was shocked to find the above so soldered the connections) as a quick fix after installing my M5 seats and want something a bit more permanant short of replacing the mat itself :)

Mac - Do you have a link to your modules please? (PM me if you wish)

as I bought one of the cheepy "box with diode" style ones (I opened it up and was shocked to find the above so soldered the connections) as a quick fix after installing my M5 seats and want something a bit more permanant short of replacing the mat itself :)

haway, the link is in MANDER's post when he started the thread

if you PM your address to me then I will pop a plug in the post to you so no need to buy one

Mmmm... makes interesting reading.

I had assumed (wrongly it seems!) that the airbag bypass units all fooled the system into believing the front passenegr seat was occupied...

Do you have any experience of this seller: a3_thr ?

I haven't cracked-open the box yet, but as the bypass unit only cost £6.99 I'm not too hopefull....

Edited by Trisman

Mmmm... makes interesting reading.

I had assumed (wrongly it seems!) that the airbag bypass units all fooled the system into believing the front passenegr seat was occupied...

Do you have any experience of this seller: a3_thr ?

I haven't cracked-open the box yet, but as the bypass unit only cost £6.99 I'm not too hopefull....

that's the same guy as that's other account as I showed in my post but he's stopped selling them on that account now for whatever reasons

This is how mine looks inside.wires are twisted together and not soldered but have been encased in silicon.

Im not going to be fitting it anyhow...

I cannot remember which seller i bought it from.

post-39771-0-67632500-1331649817_thumb.j

that's the same guy as that's other account as I showed in my post but he's stopped selling them on that account now for whatever reasons

Damn!! I don't like the idea of the passenegr airbag NOT going off regardless of whether there is someone sat there or not...

I think I'd like to purchase two of your finest airbag occupancy-sensor bypass units please...!

Just bought one from Mac and fitted, very helpful chap and well made but alas my warning light has not gone out :(

Is there anybody in the Wigan area who has a reset tool who could do this for me, for a fee of course and tea & buiscuits, would be much apreciated :-D

Tim.