CarlBM

E39 Audio Upgrade - Final

Yep, the quality of the work on my car was excellent and he was very helpful with all questions I had

Were abouts are you dave?

Edited by CarlBM

Hi,

Just to add that Marc from Alarming Entertainment is very well regarded and very very helpful over on the dedicated Talkaudio forum. Please do feel comfortable that you will have excellent service from him with anything to do with your audio or vehicle electronics requirements. 

Cheers, Dennis!

Ive just done similar. Took the vapour barrier out yesterday and its much much better. Basically my 6.5's were playing directly into the barrier. What I have done however is the create a fibreglass bottom section to replace the missing vapour barrier and will then sound proof over this.

Here is what I have done (not mine, but I have copied this).

http://www.diymobile...39-install.html

speakerpanel1.jpg

speakerpanel2.jpg

speakerpaneldyna.jpg

How much Dynamat did you use to do both front doors mate?

Hi Carl, just wondering, I'm soon to be starting the project of new speakers, subs and sub box made by hand, but question is was it difficult? I was always useless at wood cutting haha

Was it expensive to do it all?

Hi Samurai,

Depends really on how good your DIY skills are and the design of the enclosure you need and want is! If you keep to a relatively simple design for the subwoofers/speakers you want, then pricing is comparitively lower if you were to get it all done professionally. 

Cheers, Dennis!

On 22/02/2016 at 9:25 PM, xSamuraix said:

Hi Carl, just wondering, I'm soon to be starting the project of new speakers, subs and sub box made by hand, but question is was it difficult? I was always useless at wood cutting haha

Was it expensive to do it all?

You will need the following:

A sheet of MDF or marine ply if you don't want to have to do it all again in a couple of years for the doors!

A sheet of MDF for the sub box £18 from B&Q etc, get 18mm thick if you can and you must work out the correct size of enclosure for the sub taking into account the displacement caused by the sub inside the box!

Some sort of sealant for the sub box, mastic, no nails silicone etc so you get no air leaks

A jigsaw

A mixture of screws lol

Templates for circles and a ruler for the sub box!

it will take hours and be frustrating, don't despair this is where the journey starts, when you have finished you will be satisfied for about 2 weeks then you will want to start upgrading everything ha ha

I have managed to get a 3 way active system in the front of mine with 8 inch woofers in the door so anything is possible if you have the time, patience and the ability to research what you are doing before you do it!

Good luck!

Thought I would update my thread. During the last couple of weeks I have fitted an alpine iLX-700 head unit to my car, removed the bit10d for future sale and plugged HU straight into the amp. Further £100 on leads etc later........

Alpine1

I didn't realise how long ago I had updated my sound system, it still going strong, as is the car.

Liking the alpine so far, great to have internet radio and hands free phone again, my only gripe would be I am stuck using the apple satnav app and not being able to use any other.

Yes, you lose the OBC but nothing I ever used. The only thing I used it for was to display the temp and I can get that info up on the clocks.

On 4/19/2018 at 2:43 PM, CarlBM said:

Thought I would update my thread. During the last couple of weeks I have fitted an alpine iLX-700 head unit to my car, removed the bit10d for future sale and plugged HU straight into the amp. Further £100 on leads etc later........

Alpine1

I didn't realise how long ago I had updated my sound system, it still going strong, as is the car.

Liking the alpine so far, great to have internet radio and hands free phone again, my only gripe would be I am stuck using the apple satnav app and not being able to use any other.

@CarlBM, after the last update Waze/Google maps should be available on Apple CarPlay. 

I've just got myself an Audison Bit Prima 8.9, APK130 (5.25") and a Sony MEX-N6002BD and going down to see Shakey+Carl @ Studio InCar for an iPad fascia, then i'll get to work on running some cabling for the prima, although I still need to buy a DRC MP. 

Loving the thread! Great work. 

Deepan.