CarlBM

E39 Audio Upgrade - Final

After waiting three weeks, the bit ten d arrived at the shop. Collected it at lunch time................woohoo.

Also spoke to the guy about the amplifier, and he is doing me a really good deal on a 900w hertz class d amp. :-D

Still a lot over my original budget, but couldnt resist the sales pitch ;)

001-5

Edited by CarlBM
photo host

The last part of my bit towards this install... With the bit ten sound processor comes the DRC remote control, the task was were to put it??

I wanted to put it in the ashtray space, so set about taking it apart to see if it would work and it just about fits. So began modifying the crap out of the ashtray.

I asked a company we work with to laser cut a bit of ally to tidy up the top part(sorry makes sense to me).

I then ran the cable from the centre console straight to the back seats and into the boot, but no picks of this as it was a bitch to get done and under the carpet.

Today after finished painting the top piece all fitted and ready to go. Overall I am very happy with how it looks.

010-3009-6

Thats it for my bits, the car is booked in next Tuesday & Wednesday to have it all wired up. :-P:-P:-P

I feel like a kid at Christmas.

Edited by CarlBM
photo host

Interested to see the DRC fits in the ash tray. I considered it in mine but it looked as if the actuation mechanism (cogs on the sides) would have to go for it to fit. Did you retain yours? Does it still work as per OEM?

Hi Carl

Only just come across the thread.

It really looks great, the remote is like a work of art.

Look forward to hearing how it performs.

Interested to see the DRC fits in the ash tray. I considered it in mine but it looked as if the actuation mechanism (cogs on the sides) would have to go for it to fit. Did you retain yours? Does it still work as per OEM?

What a coincidence I was only looking at your install on FB Wednesday, very nice indeed.

Yes, the lid/cover works as OEM to a degree, from its closed position it will open and the spring/cog will raise it up and the tray/remote will rise. When you close it though you have to help the tray back down it track, because the mechanism for this action has been cut away, see here.....

002.jpg

I also had to modify the inside of were the tray sits to allow it to go all the way to the bottom, because of the additional height being the button on the DRC.

I also had to cut away some of the framework for the lid, again because of the button height.

icon_cool.gif

Edited by CarlBM

What a coincidence I was only looking at your install on FB Wednesday, very nice indeed.

Yes, the lid/cover works as OEM to a degree, from its closed position it will open and the spring/cog will raise it up and the tray/remote will rise. When you close it though you have to help the tray back down it track, because the mechanism for this action has been cut away, see here.....

I also had to modify the inside of were the tray sits to allow it to go all the way to the bottom, because of the additional height being the button on the DRC.

I also had to cut away some of the framework for the lid, again because of the button height.

icon_cool.gif

Thanks, glad i'm not going crazy, I was sure i'd already figured out that the ashtray was just that little bit too small to retain 100% functionality!!

Lots of changes going on with my car for this year.. hopefully get most of it finished this weekend.

Perhaps we could trade some audio advice and polishing advice? :)

Forget looking at it, what you need to do is listen to it ! - put simply, it's phenomenal!

bm_sjo - I'd be very interested to hear it again after the latest round of improvements! T20 isn't so far off now!

Cheers, Dennis!

On ‎30‎/‎03‎/‎2012 at 7:58 PM, bm_sjo said:

Thanks, glad i'm not going crazy, I was sure i'd already figured out that the ashtray was just that little bit too small to retain 100% functionality!!

Lots of changes going on with my car for this year.. hopefully get most of it finished this weekend.

Perhaps we could trade some audio advice and polishing advice? smile.png

You'll have to post up your changes. Always good to read what you pros are up to with your 5's audio.

Still waiting on Dennis to post up his latest changes..hint, hint. icon_razz.gif

Like the idea of sharing advice, any time your in sunny Southend drop me a PM we'll meet up, love my detailing hobby so always glad to pass on what I can.

Also got my amp today.............as you can see were going with the Hertz theme cool.png

001-1-1

Edited by CarlBM
photo host

Had the car booked in for all day Tuesday and half day today (shop shuts on a Weds) was expecting the car back today, but no still not finished.

Was a little miffed when said he spent 3hrs+ Tuesday driving around for rca plugs for the install, maybe just me but I would have got all the components i needed for a job BEFORE hand.

The fitter also said the door baffles are a waste of time as I will loose a lot of the mid bass because the door is not sealing the speaker enough. icon_sad.gificon_sad.gif He suggested it would be better to stick with 5.25 size speakers and put them in the door pods.

Ive asked him to use the baffles,be creative with the sound proofing he has and do the best he can. At the end of our conversation I asked would it get finished today...no, i'm on route to another jobicon_rolleyes.gifhuh.png

All good things come to those who wait................................this is what is in my head to stop me being....icon_twisted.gif

Hmmm, sorry to hear that!

I'm using the same style baffles, with foam sealing to the door card, and have plenty of midbass even with only 20W from the MS-8 :)

Got my car back this afternoon, and OMG its sounds feckin awsome. I had forgotten what real bass is in the songs i listen to.

Even at the moment the equalizer on the bit 10 is all flat/even, is sounds excellent (so need to spend some time doing that when I sort out how.icon_confused.gif )

But considering the amount I have invested in this, which is a LOT more than I set out too, it bloody should do icon_biggrin.gif

The install looks really good, very tidy and used some quality parts. I will post a pic later, but you cant really see much.

Thanks to every one for your comments and thanks again to Dennis for pointing me in the right direction and all the advice to begin with......

Thats all folks.

Thought I would add a few pics, cant see much but nice clean install. Thanks also to bm_sjo for taking the time to help set up the bit ten, sound much better now.

001-2-1002-1-1

Edited by CarlBM
photo host

I'm sorry to push up your thread, but wanted to say thanks, because it gaves me quite a lot of ideas for my own "I hope so" futur build. Especially that area to drop the amps (for me, 3 genesis amp + alpine H800 processor).

Do you get nice firm mid bass coming from the 6.5" on the front door?

for me, the main question is where in hell I'm going to drop my brax 3.1 and brax nos28, they are way to big for the stock places:(

Carl, I didn't realise you were from the same neck of the woods (I'm not far from Southend). If you don't mind me asking, who did you use for the install?

Edited by dave87

Cool - he's quoted to replace the headunit on my new car - if he's done a good job on yours (as it appears he has) I think he's probably the guy to go to.

Edited by dave87