CarlBM

E39 Audio Upgrade - Final

Okay, finally had some time today to start on the door baffles.

No pics of the door card off as you all know what that looks like, as ive mentioned before I am surrounded by cardboard at work so made some templates up first.

First done a guide against the plastic pod, then shaped it against the hole in the door until happy.

002-4004-3

To save time I screwed the two pieces of mdf together for each side of the car, let the cutting begin.

007-2

last pic to show what they will look like.

009-3

008-2

That's all for now as it was getting dark. Will finish cutting the hole and fixing to the door at the weekend.

Carl.

Edited by CarlBM
photo host

Door baffles now finished.

001-3002-5003-3004-4

Then today I was bored after cleaning the car...............

:-P :-P

007-3

After getting a few nice bills in the last week, Im going to be skint for the next couple of months, so project now on hold. :-(:-(

Edited by CarlBM
photo host

When I have finished these and they fit as planned, if anybody would like a set of cardboard templates, so all they would have to do is mark them out and cut them, I would be happy to oblige.

Carl.

Yes Please Carl. I was thinking of an upgrade myself.

Great work so far, I am part way through doing this myself and have the passenger side baffle in. Just thinking that the vapour barrier is stopping the door being used to enhance the sound, should we open up the barrier? Dennis may be able to help here.

Ive just done similar. Took the vapour barrier out yesterday and its much much better. Basically my 6.5's were playing directly into the barrier. What I have done however is the create a fibreglass bottom section to replace the missing vapour barrier and will then sound proof over this.

Here is what I have done (not mine, but I have copied this).

http://www.diymobile...39-install.html

speakerpanel1.jpg

speakerpanel2.jpg

speakerpaneldyna.jpg

That is far to much work for me and a lot of expense, I will leave mine 'as is' for now and see what it sounds like when its all installed. I'm also not keen on the idea of removing the vapour barrier, it is there for a reason, is the sound proofing as good a substitute?

That is far to much work for me and a lot of expense, I will leave mine 'as is' for now and see what it sounds like when its all installed. I'm also not keen on the idea of removing the vapour barrier, it is there for a reason, is the sound proofing as good a substitute?

Thats why the fibreglass, replaces the barrier and if sealed properly, will be fine. We have had rain and thus far (touch wood), even with mine not completed, rain seems to be kept out. Once the dynamat or similar has been applied it will be even better from a sound and waterproof point of view.

Hi,

Good progress and discussion !

For me and my car, I also want to keep within the 'intermediate' levels of investment and work required and as such, I've only used a small piece of sound deadening on my door skins. When more complex things like fibreglassing and making modifications like the above are required, it's 'usually' done by those who want an even higher level of sound reproduction and will perhaps purchase much more expensive and finer sounding components to be fitted.

For 'most' E39 owners who are looking for a decent upgrade, going down the route of fibreglass and door vapour barrier modifications will not be considered due to significant cost increases when professional installers do the work. For those who have the skills and time for DIY, then it is a viable route as per above :)

Cheers, Dennis!

Did my own door today, tomorrow for next door.

Ok, did some work - looks ok, sound good, struggling to get door card back on at the bottom - at least the door closes.

IMG_20120225_104806.jpg?t=1330179734IMG_20120225_120702.jpg?t=1330179624IMG_20120225_133143.jpg?t=1330179585IMG_20120225_133836.jpg?t=1330179521

I have spent the last couple of weeks selling off things that I no longer use, in order to keep my project going forward.. :? . So yesterday I raised enough and went and saw my audio man to place my order for the Audison BitTen sound processor, should be with me tomorrow..........woohoo.

Now this weekend I am planning on making a start on the amp and bit10 positioning, and any fabrication needed for it. Now I have spent 5 mins putting together a quick picture to show what I had in mind for this, I hope you can grasp what I mean from it.

The idea is for the amp and processor to sit on an MDF tray and then to hang (or be floating) from the parcel shelf. There would be an inch -> inch and half gap between the parcel shelf and top of the amp. The reason behind it is firstly so I can still have the spare tyre space, secondly most people seem to deem positioning an amp upside down as a no-no, hence the inch gap.

Opinions please...........Thank you.

ampposition

Told you it was a quick pic.

Edited by CarlBM
photo host

I think thats a good idea. That space is mainly wasted. My 2 amps are currently where the CD changer and BM54 unit used to be but its a bit messy - might relocate to the same place as where you are thinking of putting the Bit1.

Out of interest, did you look at other processors? The Bit1 is nice but some have had noise issues with them. There is also the Helix P / C DSP which is a good option, the smaller one is actually fairly cheap and very well regarded. The JBL MS-8 is seen as a successor of the Bit1 ....

Out of interest, did you look at other processors? The Bit1 is nice but some have had noise issues with them. There is also the Helix P / C DSP which is a good option, the smaller one is actually fairly cheap and very well regarded. The JBL MS-8 is seen as a successor of the Bit1 ....

It was one of the recommendations from Dennis when we were discussing options vs budget, then the audio guy I am working with also suggested it as a good piece of kit for what I was trying to achieve. They have both talked me through the options and was deemed a good choice. I have googled the bit10 and I must admit the only one i found about noise issue was because of a faulty unit.

Should be with me today, next month.... amp purchase :? .

It is a good unit, no doubt. With buying new at least if it does cause issues you can have that sorted.

Are you going to build the tray from scratch??

Wondering where to mount my two amps as well - potentially will just attach them to the seats backs - not visually exciting but nice and easy and well vented.

Hi,

The Audison range for their processors is fantastic, they're high end audio products with price tags to match ! If you are a serious audiophile then to do a bit one justice you need similarly higher end amplifiers, head unit and speakers. The Bit 10 I think doesn't have the same range of features and adjustments as the Bit One, but comes in at around £300 or so which is half of the price of the Bit One.

The JBL MS-8 is another fantastic bit of kit and quite unique in offering 8 channels of speaker outputs, meaning DSP can be retained by those who 'must' have it as their E39 came with the option. With all the other features it can do, this unit would also be best with upgraded speakers as well - it comes in at around £600 or so. This full video demo and background covers it all - http://ms8.jbl.com/index.html#/dsp

Carl - nice idea and give a go by all means, I'm just thinking of the cable, speaker wires and signal cables routing to that location. Also ensuring the fixing is solid enough too, don't want it jiggling loose over time and falling off !

Cheers, Dennis!

Edited by DennisCooper

After being ill last weekend, got some work done today.

Firstly seats out and parcel shelf off,

005-2

Wanted to finish off the sub box, and get it secured to the rear. I wasn't happy with the original metal plates I bought, so bought some different ones and painted them black. All drilled finished and winged nutted down :-P

010-2014-2015-1016-1

Next up the floating shelf for the amp and bit10 (which I am still waiting on delivery for :-(:-(:-( )

Had some bits delivered this week,

003-4

Made up a template for the shelf to mark the holes for drilling the car (smaller templates are the footprint of the amp and bit10)

I would now say I am an expert in getting fully in and out of my boot in the quickest time.

006-1

Holes drilled and bolts put in to see how it looks, then put the template on the check heights.

008-3009-4

I wasnt happy with the height of the bolts, there was far more of a gap than needed so went out and bought some threaded studs. Re-measured and cut the studding down used bolts either side and secured to the parcel shelf.

017-1

Much better this time, now happy I cut the mdf shelf to size and drilled the holes.

Fitted it to show what it looks like, all i need to do tomorrow is cut down the tubing I bought to cover the stud thread, then carpet the mdf.

I was concerned about movement,, but trust me it is solid B)

018-1020-1

Interior of the car was put back together to finish.

Enough for one day................... :-D

Edited by CarlBM
photo host

I remember the days when I were 13 and my younger brother being 10

We always loved dads car. (Ended up getting one myself 10 years later)

I do love what you have done there! But there is one thing I should point out

Something like that would have definatley had a foot through it! We were always fighting in the back and dad was forever getting the airbag lights reset becuase of us..

..I think you might have to fashion some kind of locking device on the armrest..

Shelf finished this morning and tubes cut and painted, then all bolted up. Thats it now for all the things I had to do, just have to buy the amp and then get the audio shop to wire it all in.

Cant wait to hear what it sounds like...........................

003-5001-4002-6004-6005-3008-4

Still loads of room in the boot.

009-5

B)B)B)B)B)

Edited by CarlBM
photo host

You now have me thinking about a shelf for my amps. they sit infront of the subs at the minute and are kind of messy. been thinking i should tidy it all up for a while now.

nice tidy job by the way.