CarlBM

E39 Audio Upgrade - Final

I, like so many before have decided the sound system my new car is not that good (being polite)...................BUT I want to keep the OEM satnav head unit, at least until something OEM looking comes along.

I have spent a few weeks chatting with our very own Dennis Cooper on what is the best solution for this, and within my budget of course. And he was more than helpful with this even though I was emailing everyday with 'what about this' questions. rolleyes.gif

So after some time I have decided on the following, upgrade the cabin speakers with Hertz 5.25 co-ax's in the back, then Hertz 6.5 components in the front which I will make the MDF baffles to fit them. In the boot a 10" Hertz sub, enclosed in my own sub box.

Then an Audison Bit10d sound processor and Audison 5 channel amp to run all the speakers.

I will have to buy this lot across three months i.e each payday, then it will all be fitted by an Audio shop local to my work.

But in the meantime I have some prep work to do making the baffles, the sub box and the scary cutting a hole in my car icon_twisted.gif :

So, pay day arrived on Friday and I went out first thing to buy some MDF and bought the first instalment of items..... icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

The sub is on order so should have that by Thursday.

I spent time last week at work, working out the sub box size req'd from the Hertz website and also wanted the box to be as narrow as possible to leave as much boot space as i could. As I am surrounded by waste cardboard at work I made a few templates up until I got the angle of the boot spot on and the maximum height I could use.

Then used this website to get the correct size. http://www.rockfordf...aspx#boxadvisor

As you can see I kept changing the size, but decided on the top right figures which gave me a box of 24.38 litres, against a required 23.9 litres, top left figures.

001-1

So on with the build, I got B&Q to cut the board down to limit the amount of cuts I had to do, but still had all the angles to cut so I borrowed a skillsaw for those, here you can see my template for the boot angle

002-1

First two pcs cut and lining them up see make sure they would fit.

Then to start pre-drilling the holes, glue and screw together.

My handy helper, until Mum caught her with a screwdriver and Dad got an earful icon_cool.gif

Then half way through my drill bit snapped in the wood. FFS

Sides cut, glued and screwed.

Then the front cut but only screwed, as I still have the hole to cut for the sub and the terminals to fit (waiting on delivery)

Last job for the day, all sealed up.

END OF DAY 1

First thing Saturday I went and had tyres fitted, then onto finishing the box.

As you can see I am no expert at this..................

But out with the DA sander, you get this icon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gif

I also took off all the edges.

So now onto the part I was least looking forward to doing, mainly because if I fu##ed it up, there was no going back.

Seats Out, and ski hatch foam pulled off.

Let the cutting commence........

Sub box offered up to check......perfect.

Lastly cut the hole in the carpet and refit.

I have some rubber U tubing on order to fit around hole to tidy it up, and I was contemplating putting a grille across it because of the kids?

END OF DAY 2

I will update this as I go along for those interested, this weekend is to carpet the sub box and start the build for the door baffles to take the bigger speakers.

Thanks for looking..........if you made it this far.

Carl.

Edited by CarlBM
new photo host

Lovely work, very precision MDFing! What Hertz sub(s) are you going to use as the box looks quite shallow?

Edited by Neil A

V nice, that lot should sound really good. Esp with the 6.5s in the front. I just couldn't spare the time/bother and stuck with the stock baffles, something I might regret in the future.

Hi Carl,

Excellent writeup and pictures so far ! +1 and thanks for the kind words :)

I think you should achieve an excellent sounding setup here to make the 'best' of using the oem modules and setup. The front door baffles should really help with the mounting as well as providing a much improved basis to mount the front components onto.

The enclosure does 'look' small, but with your calculations should provide adequate internal volume - don't forget to use some acoustic fill/wool inside the enclosure. This 'tricks' the sub into working as though it was in a slightly larger enclosure than it really is ;)

I'd also take off the back seat and from the cabin side of the bulkhead, screw through to 'hold' the enclosure as close up as possible to the 'boot' side of the bulkhead. This will minimise any bass energy flowing back 'round' into the boot area - unless of course you seal around the ski hatch area. One way would be to cut out some MDF and make a 'ring' that just fits into the aperture, and seal that.

DSC00528.jpg

DSC00527.jpg

You could always add in another subwoofer a la the E39 above ;)

Look forward to the rest of your progress :)

Cheers, Dennis!

Hi Dennis,

I was planning to put a bracket of sorts, to hold the box in place, fixed through the rear bulkhead, the idea was so i could undo it from the boot if needed to take it out. Ive also got some sound proofing foam from work that i plan to run round the front of the box to 'seal' it.

I will have a 'google' for the acoustic fill, but are there any suppliers you use??

Thanks

Carl.

Hi Carl,

quick one, what did you use to cut into the metal ski hatch? A jigsaw? or something else, looks like a nice clean cut.

Cheers

Ash

Hi Carl,

quick one, what did you use to cut into the metal ski hatch? A jigsaw? or something else, looks like a nice clean cut.

Cheers

Ash

Yep, a jigsaw. One piece if advice if youre going to do it, wear ear protectors, it is feckin loud :shock::-D

Thinking of doing a ski hatch cut tomorrow. Currently running a JL 10W6 sub in a CAD box with a JL 300/2 amp and its not allowing enough bass into the cabin.

DAY 3

Picked up my sub on Thursday....woohoo

002-2

Had some carpet and terminals delivered through the week, so time to finish the sub box.

Cut out the holes, glue and screwed the front on, then had the dilema of how to seal the inside with the box made up ?!?!?!?

Ended up having to put sealent on the end of my finger and go round the edges that way. :rolleyes:

003-1005-1

Then to carpet the box.

008-1

This was by far the hardest part of this project, and I must say when doing the outer sides I lost the plot on how to do it and look nice. Even I admit this looks shit, but I didn't know what to do with it???

I may end up doing it again, if I find a better way.

FAIL

009-1010-1

Finished...sort of

013-1012-1

Lastly, can anyone advise the best type of screw and size to mount the sub?

Thanks for looking.

Edited by CarlBM
update photo host

Good work there boss. I'm slowly collecting second hand bits and bobs to fit into my e39 so this is a good read for ideas.

What did your man advise re connecting your original head unit into the amp? Does the head unit have pre outs?

Good work there boss. I'm slowly collecting second hand bits and bobs to fit into my e39 so this is a good read for ideas.

What did your man advise re connecting your original head unit into the amp? Does the head unit have pre outs?

Nope, you need to get a line convertor or, if you have a BM54 amp, pick up the signal from inside the amp.

Use tee nuts and proper stainless machine screws for the sub. Probably M4 or M5 ones will suit. Look up what Hertz recommend. I can ask my guy at Four if you get stuck.

With regards to sealing the box, did you put any wood glue on the mounting face all the way round for the final panel to sit on?

For trim, it's easier if the side panels are inset slightly, like you see on a lot of prefab stuff.

Okay, I was really not happy with the way the sides came out yesterday, so tried a different method this morning. I still need to trim it up a bit, but need some new blades before i finish. But it looks a LOT better to me.

Other side in progress.

Also thanks for the replies on fixing the sub down. Next weekend the door baffles, when the snow has cleared up.

Carl.

Edited by CarlBM
photo host

Quite Keen on this ski hatch mod as I have the same problem with not enough bass coming int the cabin. I'm running a 12" Pioneer sub with a Pheonix Gold amp and have a Kicker EQ to fit... Only issue is my DVD player (for the kids screen in the rear) is in the middle of the parcel shelf so might remove the CD changer and fit the DVD player in there.

Edited by N.S.F.W

Next update...

Finished covering the box and trimmed down with sharp blades.

Then had these delivered during the week to fix the sub down, also got black M5 bolts.

002-3

I also liberated some sound deadening foam from work to finish it off and seal the gap between the back seat. All done wired up, and ready to go.

004-2

Lastly, to stop the sub from moving.

014-1

Now to put it into the boot, not a bad match colour wise.

009-2016-1011-2

I didnt get anytime on sunday to start the door baffles, hopefully get some time this afternoon if the kids let me.

Edited by CarlBM
photo host