ttrw2

Titanium E39 2002 530d Manual Sport Touring

^^^ are we talking a petrol sport back box from a 525/530i? As I bought one a month or so back but the way the diesel back box bolts to the car is totally different to the petrol one, so gave up trying to get it fitted, which was a shame as I reckoned it would've finished mine off nicely especially with the sport rear bumper fitted?

Thanks for the interest guys.

Don't worry, it's been a busy Xmas week on the 530d. Back at my parent's so a great chance to use the ramps and get a few jobs I've been saving, done:

9D77D0C8-FFD5-481B-8385-674D01C39267-448

545i (shorter) gear stick and new bushes and clips fitted. Great upgrade:

DCC84639-581F-4920-A5FA-DD96D59EE9AA-448

D9D440FA-62AB-49BE-927B-06FA5CAAAFBA-448

Front 27mm eibach ARB and matching mount polybushes. ARB thickness' are now the same as M5 at both ends:

3B0521DC-3E65-497C-B01D-1D3F24272750-448

Changing the front ARB on a six-cylinder e39 is a horrible job! You have to drop the front subframe to slot in/out the ARB. We found a neat way of doing this by lowering car on hoist and using a jack on a storm-drain crate to hold subframe (with engine etc on) up. Arch-liners, undertrays, etc all have to come off:

D88B5AE4-6B49-4EEA-9114-067F59694CDF-448

In! Tomorrow I'll be getting in here with a pressure washer to clean all the muck out

42F74CC1-7A14-4489-A526-8B01B0F6BAA7-448

Refitted all the undertrays etc, quick cup of tea and off out for a test drive :)

Yet again Rob! Another superb upgrade, though I think doing this job without ramps could be a tall order??? Need to sweet talk my mechanic into it I reckon lol.

Thanks Greig. Yes I'd say it's do-able on axle-stands on drive but definitely more convenient on the hoist.  It took me 3-4 hours and I'd genuinely believe it to be not much less than 3hrs in a shop.

I too noticed the back boxes for Petrol sports are totally different mounts, my plan is to cut diesel tailpipe off and weld the Petrol one on. Got a few other mods/upgrades up my sleeve to come yet too! But at the moment it's just about keeping the bus going through winter as the miles just pile on. :)

I gave it a cheeky oil change y/day too, had only done 4.5k miles since last but seemed rude not too with an oil change being soo cheap with ECP discounts and me being on the ramps this week.

Quick pic of the 545i shifter mid install. Really recommend this to manual e39 owners, makes the car feel so much tighter and more modern to drive. Yes, she does need a hoover!

F2E732F3-C35D-4F76-85CF-D29766B9E898-448

Edited by ttrw2

Not a bad idea Rob, welding the petrol back box on? I ended up giving away the petrol sport one I got. But I might revisit this idea in the Spring??

Cheers

Greig.

Yeah that's the plan, just weld on the tip somehow. I have a 530i Sport backbox here from Karl so when I get round to doing it I'll take plenty of pics.

Today got a couple of hours on the ramps, a nut/bolt tightness check after y/days work and fitted a pair of front mudguards. Not too keen on the looks, but hoping they'll reduce the amount of crap that gets thrown up the side of the car and up under the sills over the winter....

As the car was (the new front wing had witness marks of mudguards as Clem's car had them on - I picked up the guards from him too :) )

B53CF817-FB60-4091-AF9B-CADA834193CF-450

I thought I took a pic, but I didn't; I used Rustbuster Fe123 rust-converter on a couple of chips/marks then covered the whole area that'll be hidden by the guards with Rustbuster MIL-spec sealant.

Fitted the guards with stainless screws and washers as these'll come off in the summer to have some bodywork done on the sill's leading edges.

1CD62141-7926-400D-9DA5-7CFB05FEE7C3-450

Fitted and back down on deck.

4939C174-1188-4C4C-A3FB-F5B8B0BD6455-450

That's the modding finished for a while as back to work next week so the car will be back in service and racking up the miles again.

Cheers

Rob.

I'm definitely thinking of having a winter wheel set up for next winter albeit with a set of style 49 non staggered set up.

So, MOT time tomorrow. Feeling pretty confident given the work on the ramps.

On the drive home tonight feels a little sluggish - s/wheel starts to wobble after a mile or two - bugger, I know what this could be! Stopped to check and sure enough nearside front caliper is sticking.

What are the chances!!!

Stripped the n/s/f brakes down to find the piston OK/free, but the inner pad solid in it's carrier - had to drift it out. Pads/discs are OE BMW, coming to the end of their life (<4mm). Wierd. A wire-brush + regrease was all it needed!

New brakes in the garage anyway so will do these sooner rather than later.

3FB53407-0034-4AB3-B293-0FBA07999847-484

That's not rust at the end of the sill! Just where I went a bit overboard with the anti-corrosion wax under the mudguards...

81A6E102-6D6D-4BC5-90EA-A52489D1929B-484

Good that you've sorted the problem. What caused it to get so stuck, rust/dust or something else? I have seen some pad backing plates bend causing them to bind. Is the car now sorted and driving fine?

Also, did you check the other side?

glad you got it sorted Rob and take it the MOT was fine as well?

I occassionally get a grinding/ metal on metal type squeeling noise from my front left wheel only up to about 30-40mph and then goes away, it's like something gets stuck between the disc and the back plate or something.   It happens only very randomly, so i'll need to investigate what it might be???

Yeah must've just been rust/swelling from all the wet weather. I did go a bit bonkers with the pressure washer last week too....

No didn't get a chance to check driver's side - took it for a quick trip to the recyc centre and all seemed well again. She'll be back on the trail again tomorrow (80 miles a day) so we'll soon know if there's still a problem. 

Looking at caliper prices on ECP I think a new set of calipers all round may be in order, already got the discs and pads etc so may as well do a 'full' refresh.

Cheers.

Just had a read through this really good thread, very nice car and good to see its maintained and looked after!

Also noticed in your first post that you work at Mclaren, me too! Been working over in MPC for around 15 months now.

Signed up recently looking for a manual 530d touring to tow my track car, and on friday night after a few drinks put a reckless last-minute bid in on a 2000 SE in silver and 77k miles, just so happened to win it. Only noticed afterwards that the car is in Oban, Scotland. Not my finest move but im looking forward to picking it up next weekend! 

Will start a thread when I get it!

Haha, awesome mate - look forward to seeing the project thread. I left McL last year for a bigger role at another team, was getting quite bored of Surrey traffic too!

So, MOT ran out y/day and didn't find the time to get the front calipers changed so I thought what the hell I'll throw it in for a £30 MOT at Kwik-Fit and at least get a list of failures to work to. Guess what......SHE PASSED! Whoop. I stood there with the bloke doing it and can quite happily say he was extremely thorough and detailed so well chuffed she got the clean bill of health.

But not before I spent Friday battling through ungritted/unploughed Oxfordshire B-roads to and from work. The winter tyres paid for themselves in just the one day as far as I'm concerned, unstoppable...

On the way to work, damn Impreza in the way caused me to get briefly stuck on a flat patch of ice but this helpful chap rocked me out..398151_10151337978009842_1834153201_n.jp

Once to work, what a state!

9F51C968-F4A6-440B-AECC-76D479BA9A86-771

As far up my drive I could get (a good 4" here where it had drifted)

84C9483E-C5FD-40E1-8D73-066C1A77EEE6-771

Hmmm, sure I left the M5 here somewhere LOL!

178EC191-1482-4739-9B3B-DCF0DBA687CB-771

man i would love to do a factory tour of an f1 team and sit in the car for me ayrton senna is the greatest driver f1 has ever seen or will see :-P good to see the car pass its mot with flying colours considering the work u have put into it

Little bit of progress to report on the Touring as she tears through the 170k miles....

Front brakes all replaced - new discs, calipers, pads, pins, shims, bolts etc. Took the time/opportunity to do a really nice job, painting the new calipers and the old caliper brackets in silver to keep a fresh OEM look.

Pair of new 'Pagid' calipers from ECP. These are clearly marked BMW/ATE, so are Pagid refurbed originals

0E47240E-9E02-4495-BD75-7D4F8A512F91-177

The paint they came with looked OK, just didn't think it'd last long, so wiped down, masked-up and given a couple of good solid coats of Hammerite smooth silver:

73455027-DCEA-45F1-BCDF-CF57F507E12F-177

Then baked at 60degC for an hour or so in the oven

83DBFB75-03B0-4987-8098-49401DCCFE07-177

I did these a couple of weeks ago, so they stayed inside for the paint to fully harden.

Approach the mile-muncher! Halfway through doing driver's side. Handily the new calipers come pre-filled with fluid, so with hose clamps only a little bubble of air got in. Still took the opportunity to bleed the front lines through to new fluid whilst here:

B123310B-4004-43BF-A17B-310E3DD50CEF-158

Passenger side complete. Forgot to get new caliper springs so reused these (for the mo). And yes, I did this side in the snow!!

199C7185-4981-4F68-BB4A-991B8477CB70-158

Behind the wheels. Silver to me looks subtle and OEM, plus in my experience this coating lasts (the brake dust runs straight off with a hose).Will look good behind the black Rondells when they go back on

A5AFBF6F-DF6F-4EC6-B699-8706DA104203-158

Done just under 700 miles since fitting, all bedded in and functioning correctly :)

TBH I didn't find the brakes lacking before. The fluid has been changed every 2 years over the car's life and all the brakes were OEM BMW stuff. But yeah, reassuring to know they're all tip-top especially as coming into track car towing season for me.

Only got 15mins to check her over at the weekend, gave the wheels and headlights a wash and she's back on the trail. Done about 6-700 miles on the new front brakes and all well. None of the infamous Pagid squeals yet...

Mudguards are defo keeping the sides of the car a little cleaner - thanks for the tip Greig!  :D

63519408-B574-493B-AA67-6A704317F9E0-200

E484E8C1-B62E-4C3C-BB97-93C4C2FA4B4A-200

50B9EBB5-78A1-4718-B3FB-54DC8228FF89-200