ttrw2

Titanium E39 2002 530d Manual Sport Touring

Well, all was going well with the mile-muncher until it was borrowed be a family-member. She had a small accident in and managed to rip-off most of the front-end....

photo-5.jpg

I had an 'interesting' drive back-up the M40 after recovering it - spend an hour cable-tieing all the loose bits and bob still on the car (e.g. undertray!) before bringing it back under the cloak of darkness.

So, the list of bits needing replacing...

Front bumper

Number plate

O/S fog

O/S rub strip

O/S brake duct

External temp sensor

O/S headlamp washer assy

O/S PDC sensors x2

O/S front wing

Various trim brackets etc

Both front corner undertrays

Headlights, bonnet, cooling package, x-member are all fine; just cosmetics.

I AM ON THE HUNT for the above bits. Please help if you have any.

Thanks,Rob.

Sorry to hear of the damage, I'm sure you'll get it sorted in no time though.

Is the pdc wiring ok?

I want to ask what happened?!?!?!

Isn't it always the same, when you lend you things or do a good deep that something like this happens!

Thanks guys, looks like she's gone in/through something and then the majority of damage has been done when she's then reversed back out - this has ripped off the bumper (in bits) and everything that attaches to it. Can't have gone far in mind as the wheels are spotless and no marks anywhere else on the car.

Just given her a clean to make myself feel better about the situation. Lots of the wiring, washer piping has been torn off at connectors etc.

0BBDBC75-8EAA-421D-9A07-204FE407A536-280

Basically, in an ideal world someone might be breaking a titanium silver sport and I could go pull the whole front end off. I'll keep searching.

Mirror covers are safely in the garage - I took them off after initially putting them on to properly let the paint harden indoors and hadn't got round to fitting.

You forgot number the plate holder in your list, as I tried to source one 2nd hand and couldn't, so ordered one through Kev at Cotwold on here and £45!!! for a stupid bit of unpainted plastic to hold a number plate on??? A painted one was over £100 :shock:

Hope you manage to source all the bits, just keep trawling ebay/gumtree etc, as I managed to pick up a sport front bumper for £50 on gumtree locally, albeit wrong colour, but my painter is painting it along with the rear sport one i picked up off Jimmy the other week. :mrgreen:

If i see anything you need i'll post it up for you Rob

cheers

Greig.

Yeah, there from the previous owner.

Thanks again guys (Greig + Rob in particular) for alerting me Clem's breaking car thread. I had a furious 30 mins of tapping away on my phone PM'ing him. Going down this weekend, so hopefully the Touring is back in action for next week :)

I owe you both a beer.

Regards,

Rob.

No worries Rob, though a bit of a trek up to Glasgow to cash my pint in :mrgreen: but it's ok i'll hold you to that! :lol:

Good to hear you managed to source the parts though and get the touring back on the road.

Greig.

Went down to Clem's today and picked-up a bumper, front wing and a few other bits.

One big order from Cotswold for corner undertrays, external temp sensor and a few clips/trim bits and we'll be on the road soon :)

79F6B113-45ED-4F72-9A70-EDA96991D66B-339

She's back together! Got the final bits together this week and rebuilt her in one hit y/day in the mild weather.....

Approach the mess. Things to replace: driver's front wing, bumper, undertrays, all associated fixings.

17D79FD8-097B-4BE9-A4F6-DD8821B0181A-406

Front wing off. Gave it a good clean underneath, checked for any corrosion. Left headlight in to act as another ref for panel gapping.

02578921-6E76-4EAC-B7E7-725F66D7BA81-406

Wing on, now bumper time. PDC plugged-in, everything lined-up ready

52A961DE-510B-4043-9B5B-8FB117F59A5D-406

New corner undertrays and fixings from Cotswold.

D71AB3C9-BC7C-4A63-B9D5-EDB961E51D5D-406

All back together. Really pleased with how she looks. Need to pop the bumper off at Xmas (on the ramps!) to fit the headlamp washer jets as there are missing on this bumper. 

85EDCF45-B76C-4046-9A03-2C8D71E27C81-406

Just need to get some double-sided tape for number plate and pop the mirror covers back-on. :)

Superb. Glad to see it back on its feet. Looking more like its original self.

Important lesson for all, if you do something silly, it's always best to stop and go out for a look, most of the damage could have been avoided!

I did something similar ages ago, reversed into dads car which had a tow bar (it wasn't meant to be where it was, honest!). It clipped under my rear bumper, in my panic I drove forwards a few feet, tearing the bumper!

I could have jacked it up and moved either car with probably little more than a scuff.

Looking good Rob! I have to do the same and cut out slots for the headlamps washers, although I plan to do this prior to fitting the bumper in the new year.

How much were the corner undertrays from Cotswold's out of curiousity?

Greig.

Great work man, you're an inspiration.

Really glad to see you managed to do such a great repair job, too. Not often someone would look after such a high miler so well :)

Edited by izools