ttrw2

Titanium E39 2002 530d Manual Sport Touring

Been a member on here for 15 months or so, since I started looking for an e39 for some big mileage commutes. I did have a thread on the old forum, but I think this must've got lost in the move...

So, October 2010 - accepted a job at McLaren working on the F1 car. Pretty much my dream job but quite a trek from North Cambridgeshire where I lived. A nice cruiser was in order.

Thanks to the brilliant info on this forum, I went on the hunt and got this 530d Sport Touring in MANUAL flavour that I picked up off Pistonheads from West London:

IMG_0805-1.jpgIMG_0804.jpg

IMG_1351.jpg

A two owner car with full BMWSH with just shy of 130k miles on the clock. Importantly, all the expensive mechanical bits had been done - new turbo, new lift pump. Armed with the knowledge I'd picked up on this forum I went in with my eyes open! Bushes were a worry, but they're not that expensive and I can DIY most things.

Straight away the car was pressed into use - I do lots of trackdays with my other car and the BMW proved very useful as a load-lugger/tow car at the weekends when not commuting in the week. Helping out a friend at Cadwell here:

IMG_1174.jpg

Within a week or so of getting it I gave it a full top-to-toe service and tackled a few extras (again, picked up on here!):

EGR valve clean and blank - never ceases to amaze just how dirty these can be:

IMG_1343.jpgIMG_1336.jpgIMG_1345.jpg

Take note Automatic 530d owners! No EGR cooler on the uber-manuals!

IMG_1346.jpg

Propshaft guiblo donut replacement - the tiniest of clunks could be felt on the overrun in fifth. Really worn when I looked closer!

IMG_0877.jpg

So, the epic 2010 winter snowfall came and I got my first taste of how bad big mile commutes can be when the roads are crap!

IMG_0859.jpgIMG_0858.jpg

Then once it all thawed out I worked my way round the car over the course of a few months replacing all bushes. Front thrust arms and lower arms:

IMG_1366.jpg

IMG_1364.jpg

Front wheel bearings

IMG_1434.jpg

And all rear end bushes replaced too, the subframe ones showing the usual sorry state of affairs

IMG_1398-1.jpg

But then disaster! Going round a roundabout quite briskly on the way to work one day and - thunk - no drive. Quick inspection revealed I'd accidently dislodged the rear n/s inner CV circlip when changing the rear balljoints the weekend before, under load on the roundabout the inner CV had popped out the diff! First (and hopefully only!) trip on a lowloader:

bmw_broken_down.jpg

And after all those bushes/links etc a proper 4-wheel laser alignment on a Hunter machine with rear axle set too:

IMG_0975.jpg

Around March/April time I was happy the car was back upto a standard close to new, at a fraction of the cost as I did all the work myself using genuine bits, but at trade prices. So, time to start a few subtle improvements to suit my tastes.

1. Ecotune stainless decat/downpipe. An OK bit of kit, and certainly cheaper than replacing the OEM odour cats, but not that nicely made and didn't fit terribly well:

IMG_1375.jpg

IMG_0875-1.jpg

However, the MPG did improve slightly and the exhaust note definitely a little more 'straight-six' from 2.5-4k rpm.

2. I managed to trackdown a brand new set of Style 18 wheels. Always liked how they looked on e34s, found out they were made in e39 fitment and tracked down a brand-new staggered 8J/9J set. A coat of satin-black and a new set of 235 front, 255 rear Potenza RE050s coincided with a house-move:

IMG_0980.jpg

IMG_0981.jpg

3. Evolve 580Nm remap. The best mod ever - the way it piles on speed in 4th gear is silly....

IMG_0976.jpg

IMG_0979.jpg

And to top it off, epic MPGs if you tickle the pedal and don't rush around:

IMG_0908.jpg

And of course the obligatory small tweaks and mods here and there, LED halos, satin chrome dial rings, etc. Again, this forum proving brilliant for finding out How-Tos and getting inspiration.

IMG_1379.jpg

Then over the summer it go to stretch it's legs on trips across France - the Group Car for Le Mans saw it stacked to the roof with tents and beer, a trip to Epernay to fill her up with Champagne and a trip to Holland for some cycling and Orange Day!

And the more mudane tasks, like more house moves and the routine servicing to keep the car in tip-top condtion:

IMG_3024.jpg

IMG_1436.jpg

So, that's my whistle-stop tour of 13 months and 32,000 miles of E39 ownership. Next up is a change of wheels - I'm liking the look of 18" Style 32s, in black of course, some tints for the rear windows (for security! I carry so much in her so often) and a 530i Sport tailpipe if I can find a backbox cheap enough to butcher (I really dislike the diesel droopy dick exhaust!).

Thanks for reading

Rob.

Edited by ttrw2

Excellent post. They are brilliant all round cars. My decat pipe had the same issue. Wonder if the manual cars have different fixing points.

Not a fan of black wheels personally but a set of parallels or Alpina's do suit them well.

Thanks guys, glad I made the effort and hope I can put something back into the community!

Excellent post. They are brilliant all round cars. My decat pipe had the same issue. Wonder if the manual cars have different fixing points.

Not a fan of black wheels personally but a set of parallels or Alpina's do suit them well.

Not hugely impressed with the decat TBH - I thought the construction was quite poor, a series of straights and bends etc overlapping and welded together with quite a poor flow path inside. Fit was good though, apart from the bracket being miles out which I was told to bend into place by hand by the vendor. A few thousand miles later it snapped off altogether (stainless=brittle). There's another type on eBay now that looks much nicer from a flow point of view - one big mandrel bend at the top http://www.ebay.co.u...=item19cbdd3abe

Black wheels are a must! with the mileage I do they're completely black within a couple of days due to brake dust, so I got bored of cleaning them/trying to protect them hence just going black!

Great thread mate, enjoyed reading it. Where abouts in Cambs are you?

Nr Peterborough Rob.

Cheers

Rob.

Thanks Rob, that's a great offer. I have INPA, carsoft and BMWscanner. Not yet invested the time in setting up a VM and getting DIS etc on the go!

So I managed to find a reasonably priced set of staggered 8J/9J Style 32s that didn't cost me the world (seriously, what is it with BMW alloys and people asking £400 for a scrap set with dead tyres??). Dropped them off at the blasters to have faces and insides stripped earlier this week then set about spraying them today. Process was 1K etch primer from can > straight primer > light rub down/key/scuff with 1200grit > lots of satin black top coat.

As you can see, they're currently strewn across my track car drying out in the garage. Pics show 3 of 5, the other two are up in the rafters drying

Left, freshly blasted. Right, finished!

IMG_1630.jpg

IMG_1629.jpg

IMG_1632.jpg

Couple more coats next weekend and then they're ready for some tyres!

Finished the above wheels a few weeks ago, started thinking about getting some winter tyres for them then thought "it's not gonna be that bad this year" so sold them.

Going even further, I fitted my Rondell 0058s with fresh Bridgestone Potenza's all round (265 rears!) and, of course, it snows.... :-P

Nevertheless, I'm not missing out on this so went out this morning first thing to practise my scandinavian. Hope you like the pics:

IMG_00341.jpg

IMG_00311.jpg

IMG_00241.jpg

IMG_00251.jpg

IMG_00281.jpg

Upgraded to a iPhone 4S and just look at the difference in pic quality!!

Hi Rob, nice ol' bus! Really fancy one of these, especially as my fuel bills are at the mo.

Upgraded to a iPhone 4S and just look at the difference in pic quality!!

Pah, you should've bought my SLR!

Great set of notes, I always admire the guys with the mechanical skill base to tackle all these jobs, I am only ok on the tiddly jobs.

Thats one touring that has earned its corn re the journeys and mileage.

The car looks great love the dish on the wheels. I have Hamann 18's on my 530d touring with a similar dish. Did the car come with xenons or did you have an HID kit fitted?

I love the look of the angel eyes on mine but now I have seen yours I am thinking of going down the led route.

Thanks a lot guys, really enjoy driving and fiddling with the car. It certainly does earn it's crust!

mak2503: They're original (Hella?) HID headlamps with HIDs-Direct angel eye LED lamps.

nice work on the car, nice job as well. one of my dream jobs that to.

you still want a sport rear box? i have one here going spare. PM me if your intested.

Wow, Feb and March have flown by! Not a lot to report on the car - she is still doing sterling service.

In February I bought a new race car and the e39 has been filling it's role as tug - with the remap and cruise control towing is effortless at pretty much any speed.

e7cf450a-1.jpg

5283d9af-1.jpg

180cc8e2-1.jpg

She's just about to click over 160k which means service time - again.

Cheers

Rob

Small update on the Touring

I went back to see my parents in deepest, darkest Lincolnshire over the B/H weekend and, more importantly, my Dad's built himself a pretty nice workshop in his back garden. So I thought it rude not to take along a few bits for the Touring to do whilst there.

The new garage includes a hoist smile.png First to guess what the three other cars in the garage are wins muchos car kudos....

6fe772e0.jpg

The ramps are AMAZING for doing bits on the car, making it so easy to go underneath and/or have items at chest-height for working on.

2f354e55.jpg

8227bf0f.jpg

Job's for today were oil+filter change, wheels off for inspection and brake fluid change with a clutch bleed for good measure. The clutch bleed made a BIG difference - recommended!

Went Hengst filter (which is IDENTICAL as BMW one just missing the BMW logo and only £6 from ECP) and two cans of fully-synth Castrol 5w/30 (£14.50/can @ Halfords).

bb966b39.jpg

Offside pollen filter box off to suck old brake fluid out of reservoir, top-up with new (Pagid DOT 4) and then bleed-through

4e3d3478.jpg

Two new rear Bridgestone Potenza in steam-roller sizes went on recently, all good so far smile.png

0d949f17.jpg

I do like the Rondells on e39s smile.png

ad4fb55b.jpg

Onwards and upwards in the 160k miles.....

Hastily takes anorak off ... hides it ... Are those davrians in the garage?

Great thread just considering replacing my e34 with an e39 sport touring, so good to see your experiences. What sort of real world fuel consumption do you get from the car? Did it get better after the remap?