Maca

Hi-res ish pictures of my Plaques

26 posts in this topic

As you know from last thread I have had some Alpina style plaques made for my car.

Started as a bit of fun because of the Alpina bits I have on the car. And ended up with 4 variations.

The Alpina ones were done with numbers 009 (was the year my Dad passed) and 001 (making out it was a one off that went via Alpina a concept as it were.

Then I had the BMW ones done the number 063 was used (was my Dads age when he passed, and / or saying it was teh 63rd LMB UK car)

I know its not really and there is no way to tell but as above it was done for fun and because I love the way the Alpina plaques look. I have a plinth on the way so mine will go in the same spot as the Alpina one does.

p3.jpg

p4.jpg

Oh and I am going to be using the BMW one that says 5.0

What you think ??

Edited by Maca

I think its the dogs danglies mate, like it! I'm sure the Alpina purists will probably disagree with me though ;)

Hope to see it mounted sometime soon :-P

i wouldnt do it but each to their own n all that!! lol. :)

Edited by kjb1

Personally I'd go for a the 001 one 100%, but they're all interesting little pieces.

Edited by v8 boy

Cheers Guys

It's just another little thing to make it a bit different from other cars, I am prob going to go with one of the BMW one's as then its even more individual

and not trying to copy Alpina, but not 100% decided yet.

Just need to decide on 4.9 or 5.0 started quite a debate on the M5 borad, the car was sold as a 5L V8 but is actually 4941 CC so a debate has been going as to if it should be 5.0 or 4.9 :)

Using the old maths rounding rule of rounding up if over 50 and down if under 50 would make it a 4.9 surely?

The choice is yours mate, use them all in an alternating fashion lol ;)

Hi Sam

I know what you mean, I was trying to find out how BMW had marketed the car but all I can find is that they say 5 litre V8.

I know that Alpina put things like 3.2 or 3.3 so you are prob right and it will prob be the 4.9 one that does end up getting used.

Or I may just use the Alpina 001 plaque ;)

Or I may get one done that says BMW / Motorsport M5 V8 063 and see what that looks like.

a plain BMW M5 plaque with the VIN details would be alot better IMO. it's not trying to be something its not and you still have your plaque

a plain BMW M5 plaque with the VIN details would be alot better IMO. it's not trying to be something its not and you still have your plaque

+1

Nah I think that would look to boring and would not be fitting of going on the Alpina plinth and location, still thats only my opinion :)

Nah I think that would look to boring and would not be fitting of going on the Alpina plinth and location, still thats only my opinion :)

At the end of the day it's your car so if you're happy with it that's all that matters.

But there are people like myself and Mike that have different opinions, like Alpina's are Alpina's and M's are M's etc.

At the end of the day it's your car so if you're happy with it that's all that matters.

But there are people like myself and Mike that have different opinions, like Alpina's are Alpina's and M's are M's etc.

Oh I know that every one will have their own opinions indeed, all I was saying is that by doing a plain one it would not look nice IMHO. By using the BMW / M5 plaque the car is not pretending to be anythig other than what is is .......... An M5

The Alpina ones were done as a bit of fun because of the other Alpina bits I have on the car, and again I know some peoples view is that an M car should not have Alpina bits but saying that most people who see it love the way it looks with its Alpina styling ques. Now I may put one on from time to time to confuse people but for the main part I will be using the BMW / M5 Plaque and thats what the car is so its not pretending any thing its just a nice looking plaque.

Mind you the odd B10 that was based on a sport model not an SE must confuse people as thats a Alpina B10 but with M sport bumpers.

Maybe :) but no more so that all the Alpina tat you see on ebay and its not like I'm selling them its just for me.

Hi

Santa come early Paul ? new camera !?! ;)

There's not really going to be any legal implications if Alpina saw this, there's nothing that they have which is identical. If you were trying to replicate one of their cars then yes perhaps so.

As ever, there's always going to be divided opinion, but I think this is an absolutely fantastic idea! - I can't wait for the next little mod Paul, I think perhaps some more 'purists' hands will be thrown in the air and running off through walls and over the hills muttering will occur when they see it ;)

Cheers, Dennis!

As I said before in the end it is a one off car. It has parts on it from a Alpina and the car looks good. It could be thought of as a concept car one that if Alpina had done there magic in could have turned out this way. If we all were purists then then the modification scene would not exsist. Let's be honest it's the modification scene that manafacturers and auto designers take note of the trends. The very same trends that are incorporated into future designs

Long winded way of saying I like the idea of the plaques in the car it's just something else that makes it different I for one like either the 5.0 one or the Alpina one. It's like a few other mods you have done in the past some thought you were doing wrong but once it was done decided it actually looked right.

Whichever you decide it's your car and it's you that needs to be happy.

I call myself a purist (Don't like aftermarket wheels for instance), but I think these are fine, just an easily removable little bit of fun IMO.

Thanks guys

I've actually got another one being made as we speak just to see what it looks like;

The next one will be teh same as teh BMW ones but the bottom line will read

BMW / Individual M5 V8 063

(the 063 has to stay because of my Dad and because of things like my light up sills, wheels and spoiler could look like its the 63rd Individual M5 they made worldwide :) )

Can't wait to get my plinth now and get one of the plaques fitted, need to figure away of sticking them so that I can swap them around. Double sided tape should do as they are only light.

The plaques weren't to bad it was the set up drawing that cost.

The drawing was £30 and the plaques can be between £15 - £25 depending what's to be written / changed from original drawing.

Hi Manj,

Have a look at this site - http://www.pukardesigns.com/

The original person sold the concern on and new designs have been created including an Alpina section. Drop them a message and I'm sure custom designs can also be done :)

Cheers, Dennis!