mark530dsport

what lowering springs

hello all again

now that the 5 is working properly again im thinking of lowering it.

idealy i would like coilovers but my budget doesn't allow, so lowering springs it is.

so the question is what springs to go for ?

also can i use my standard shocks and just change the springs or do i need to change the whole lot ?

where is the best place to get them from please ?

thanks in advance

mark

You can use the standard shocks no problem unless they are knackered, i've lowered cars in the past with standard shocks with no problem.......as for ride height, if it says the springs lower the car by 30mm....as you've got the sport, yours will be lower than standard anyway...about 15mm i think, so you'll only drop it by another 15mm with aftermarket springs.

Hope this helps

Eibach do 2 types, pro kit and sportline kit....the sportline are lower, i've used eibach pro in the past, just right in my opinion.....i think the sportline would be a tad low, especially how low the front sport bumper is!

I was in similar situation as yourself about a year back -- I went for the Eibach and VERY happy with them - really sharpened up car round corners and improved the stance aesthetically ... I believe there are 2 types of eibach springs from recall - pro-kit and sport line?? but you'd have to check on their site.....

The pro kit all aorund was perfect for my motor..... only thing to remember is that, if your car has a low front sports bumper (I have the alpina one), then you might have to alter your driving style over steep road humps /speed breakers and driveways etc -- I dunno about you but the scraping sound on car bottom gives me a sinking feeling!!! I've got 3 overly steep speed breakers on my road and I try to go across them diagonally and slowly to be safe of no contact..... but don't let this discourage you - just mentioned it to make u aware of my experience..... definitely worth doing the mod...

it seems the pro kit is the one to go for.

done driving very carefully in the past. used to own a few 200sx's and they were just stupidly low, so thats not much of a problem.

sandman007 have you got any pics please ?

also did you do just springs or springs and shocks ?

Mark - I just posted a pic of my car (about 10 mins ago) side profile on the 'newbies' section ...

I used just the pro kit springs on stock dampers as I was worried about aftermarket dampers dropping the car too much in combination with the springs.... But since I was getting springs changed - I got all round stock dampers changed at same time (Sachs Boge I think) to freshen everything up.... labour cost wise - it makes sense.... especially as my 5 had already done 120k at that time and was sagging like a barge on spirited corners!!!

If you want springs only then Eibach are extremely good. The Apex ones are good too, especially as they are almost half the price of the Eibachs.

Don't go too low, it's pointless! 30mm should be fine but remember that if you lower it you'll need to get the wheel alignment done too. I went for coilovers purely so I could get the ride height perfect to how I wanted it.

I went with apex springs on standard m tech 2 shocks I'm very pleased with them comfort wise there very close to stock and stance wise there its a bit low for some people but i love it, we have some brutal speed bumps round are way and it copes OK only my 3.5 inch exhaust sometimes scrapes.

I picked the springs up for 107quid ( I'm in the trade) from euocarparts.

2011-10-09095102.jpg

well ive just logged on to the euro car parts site and manually put in the details for a 2003 and 2001 530 diesel and they both use the same standard springs that they list, so they should fit no problem

Edited by dpbayly

Sandman007 could you please post those pics up again, I can't see them, it says no permision on your pic links...

530nm, try see if this works:

post-40974-0-90353100-1320620243_thumb.j

post-40974-0-29314100-1320620256_thumb.j

post-40974-0-15191500-1320620264_thumb.j

Hi

I've been advised that on standard SE shocks, not to lower using springs more than 30mm. The SE shocks are too long for the shortened/lowered spring, however I believe OEM Sport shocks are shortened.

So, I'd suggest if you are looking to go lower - 35,40,45mm lower from SE suspension springs/shocks, to go for the whole matched suspension kit - and not just springs. At the pricing levels of the well reputable Eibach etc those Apex Coilovers are well in alternative consideration range :)

Cheers, Dennis!

Hi

I bought my E39 with lowered spring over factory shocks with 170 000km on it. The front shock shat themselves within 6 months I installed bilstein sports shocks I damaged 1 front bilstein 3 years after fitting them on a pot hole

The lesson from this is don't go to low with spring and shocks. If you want to go low go low with coil overs

I now have D2 coil overs so I can run it as low as when I bought it.

I can post pic of my car in spring and coil over form if you are interested

PS I have only ever had problems with front shocks being that my car is lower in the front. My wheels are 17 inch style 66