donut

Classified Adverts

Since moving back to the forums based classifieds we seem to be having issues with unnecessary comments in threads again.

If you have something constructive and worthwhile to say we're all for that.

If the whole point of your post is to take a pop at another member, belittle their advert or any other derogatory comments then please refrain - these kind of posts may be edited or removed without notice.

Repeat offences will be met with a 7 day suspension followed by a ban for any further offences.

Please respect other forum members, not everyone's views will be the same.

I still can't see any reason why other members should be able to post comments below the adverts anyway! You're still gonna get some innocent comments being taken the wrong way be the seller or others & fights breaking out.

I'm struggling to think of anywhere else you would advertise your car & get 'comments' posted at the back of it.

Well this can be said for any thread started on a forum, its open ended meaning anyone may pass opinion regardless of views opinions, feelings, worrying to cause offence etc, mickey taking, jesting etc etc. Going a bit ott on this, look at the thread on dump valves!! far harsher comments within there to original op, and as a result he has had enough and left. If original poster cannot take an innocent question in the way it was intended ( look at the way he reacted at start of the thread when first asked about the 50k mile service) !!! then he shouldnt post on an open forum where feedback is and can be passed!!!! ffs people, this is crazy!!

Edited by kjb1

I still can't see any reason why other members should be able to post comments below the adverts anyway! You're still gonna get some innocent comments being taken the wrong way be the seller or others & fights breaking out.

I'm struggling to think of anywhere else you would advertise your car & get 'comments' posted at the back of it.

Well donut's poll of the userbase showed that sellers wanted the comments below adverts, me included, always preferred it, but when you get a few idiots saying stupid things it spoils it.

Oh and great post donut, echoes my thoughts precisely.

Edited by v8 boy

but when you get a few idiots saying stupid things it spoils it.

Sometimes though it's not idiots saying stupid things, kjb1 asked a seller a perfectly reasonable question & got a less than nice reply!

At the end of the day, if a potential buyer wishes to enquire about a car for sale or wants to give the seller dogs abuse about the advert details, then let them PM the seller & take it from there.

If the vote has decided otherwise, then if nothing else, the for sale ads might make some interesting reading.

thornbridge looking at your reply i agree. Maybe it is better for pm's to be the way forward for classifieds it would avoid going off topic, etc, and be easier for op to post responses if so wanted to avoid repeat questions to seller same way ebay does. Its a good idea! but as it stands now, the seller knew it was an open forum, and should have dealt with questions in a much more friendly tone and manner, and he knew it was open ended before posting so should of realised its not always going to be positive. But agreed maybe it should go to pms only, avoids it all, but again at current time, this is the system, and that is how it is.

Edited by kjb1

What about having both. Allow sellers to publish constructive questions to assist the sale, bit like ebay and function for members (gold only maybe) to ask for vetting of misleading advert content by an administrator?

Edited by D-boy

Seems to me the questions and replies being suggested here was how the system that was just voted out worked. The seller having control over what questions were seen and which we're disregarded.

If I was Donut at this point I would be throwing up my arms.

Right lets not piss of Donut further - he does a phenominal job for little reward. On the whole in the 7 odd years i've been here the board has been generally a more mature and level headed place to be, incredibly useful and a nice 'place' to be and as such response to 'sale ads' has generally been constructive and valid.

Of late we have had a few threads get out of hand either from over sensitive sellers or feisty 'buyers' - this pisses me off - but the sensible debate has always been the appeal of BMW5 ( i don't post anywhere else) and hence the reason why we operate a more open sales policy that allows discussion else we would be the same as ebay. Sensible use makes this the best system, however abuse or bickering will cheese people of and more than likely lead to it being made more restrictive and less useful.

Your call!

Right lets not piss of Donut further - he does a phenominal job for little reward. On the whole in the 7 odd years i've been here the board has been generally a more mature and level headed place to be, incredibly useful and a nice 'place' to be and as such response to 'sale ads' has generally been constructive and valid.

Of late we have had a few threads get out of hand either from over sensitive sellers or feisty 'buyers' - this pisses me off - but the sensible debate has always been the appeal of BMW5 ( i don't post anywhere else) and hence the reason why we operate a more open sales policy that allows discussion else we would be the same as ebay. Sensible use makes this the best system, however abuse or bickering will cheese people of and more than likely lead to it being made more restrictive and less useful.

Your call!

Here Here..

Following on from a recent post issue, how about insisting on a price being put on all ads...at least that sparks constructive debate, mostly !