MartyP1977

My new toy. It needs alot of work but I have seen worse.

50 posts in this topic

I have decided to get rid of the body kit, paint the bumpers body colour and get a M5 front lip for it.

Small update...

It seems it could do with two new sills. After cutting away rust it appears to be a bit rusty on the inside so the sills are gonna come off and the inner sill area blasted and treated before new sills being fitted.

Also I am getting all of the stone chip blasted from the inner wings/front wheel arches and new stuff applied before I get new wings.

More money than I was hoping to spend on it but hopefully it will be worth it in the end.

Copy and pasted from my other thread...

Yes I spent ages searching for good pattern sills but most didnt go all the way up or the price was too cheap for them to be any good. I ordered and have taken delivery of genuine BMW sills from Walloth and Nesch in Germany matching the same part number as I required.

I have ordered bits for my 2002Tii restoration from them previously and they dont seem to list E28 parts on their website but I was told by a knowledgable fellow to ask the question. It worked out about 105 quid each and 14 quid delivery for the proper parts. I am no expert but even I can see the time saved in fitting genuine parts far outweighs the labour costs of making poor pattern panels fit.

A hole in the A-pillar up the drivers side of the windscreen has been repaired using a cutting from a donor shell. The rust around the boot seal area, below both corners of the rear window and around the rear lights have been cut out and replaced with new metal.

Originally the car was just going to have the sill rust holes cut away and new metal put in but after further poking there was surface rust behind the sill along the inner sill. As I am keeping this car I decided to have both sills cut away. The areas behind are being blasted, primered and some extra rust proofing applied and new genuine sills fitted. Both inner wings are being shot blasted and new paint/stone chip are being applied. If anyone has a couple of solid M535i wings for sale in any colour please let me know.

Hopefully by the end of next week I will have some meaningful photos of the work :D

A small update chaps. My beast appears to have a new driver side sill :-D

post-33338-0-75992500-1344361054_thumb.j

post-33338-0-53532200-1344361157_thumb.j

Carl-e34 likes this

This fell off as it was held on with filler

post-33338-0-39240100-1345071462_thumb.j

OS inner wing repair. The same needs doing on the near side. Then new brackets need welding on for the body kit.

post-33338-0-44252300-1345071878_thumb.j

post-33338-0-39238400-1345071896_thumb.j

post-33338-0-73462800-1345071914_thumb.j

post-33338-0-51289500-1345071934_thumb.j

The 2002 is a slow burner lol.

I want the E28 back first so don't want to rush him :)

The whole shell is being rebuilt. Roof, all floors, front panel and A-posts and probably more.

I have a resto thread somewhere but like I said a slow burner...

Small update. Purchased a set of my all time favourite wheels. Not sure how they will look on an E28 but I may photoshop one to see.

post-33338-0-43898800-1352670432_thumb.j

I am backĀ  :razz:. I still have the car but the progress has been slow since my Dad died. I hope to see some progress soon.

528i-FAN likes this

Does anyone know what the best size tyre to fit to my E28? The wheels are style 8's from an E31. 7.5j x 16. which will be closest to the original rolling diameter?

ta very much

225/50-16s would be fine :)

WB and condolences about your dad.

I will get some of those then

I dont suppose anyone knows where I can purchase a back panel? Mine is too far gone

Yes, rotten all around the rear lights. I sold the 02 as I didn't have the money required to finish it.