donut

Classifieds

New Classifieds module or old forums based system  

76 members have voted

1. 1. It seems since we listened to members feedback and bought a dedicated classifieds module this has now caused more issues, so which classifieds system do you prefer?

• New classifieds module where members can ask questions and OP can control answers
    • Old forums based system where members can ask free for all questions, comments etc

I like the new format, but I see the point some of us are making about not being able to 'Bump' stuff. I have just re-posted my ad, as I've just noticed that it's slipped to page 6, and is unlikely to be seen down there. In addition, I would say that with the old system, the most popular stuff (judged by the number of questions / comments) remained at the top - for better or worse - and the stuff no-one wanted sank (unless it was bumped).

I don't miss the fact that people can't just comment on these ads though. It's better that a question can be asked, and then the OP can publish the answer if it helps him or other members - willy nilly comments - good or bad - on every ad just weren't helpful.

Perhaps there's a way to make it so you can just see more ads at once - that might help?

Poll added, lets see which system people prefer - if enough people vote I'll bin the classifieds module and swallow the costs.

I suspect given how resistant to change people are, it'll be the old system that wins the poll.

I'm not keen on the new format, my 535i's sunk out of site of the list on the forum homepage, I only put it up 2 days ago..

And what jeek has said really is quite worrying, if I were to break my car, I'd have always thought this site would be where the parts flew out.

It either bumping or multiple ads. remember not everyone is on here all day every day like us. so they dont see all the posts first time round.

But thats what the 'view new content' button is for.... select the 'classifieds' option and your favourite time period...

I like the OP's ability to control which questions are published and which are not - it can be useful in filtering out off topic and irrelevant posts. On the other hand, I like being able to bump things too. The other thing is where you have multiple items for sale, as is the case in my current classified ad - the new system isn't designed with that in mind. I'm still not exactly sure how much that matters though. So - as usual, once looking at all the facts, I'm not sure which I prefer, so as yet, I haven't voted.

Should there be a third answer in the poll for 'Don't Know' or 'Not bothered either way' perhaps?

I'm wonder if all that change was due to a ONE member who doesn't like comments(!), is he even a trader? Just asking.

Wouldn't it better to ask anybody, make a poll or whatever at the first step?

No it was multiple members, not just one.

I like all the changes to the forum, but the thing I notice about the classifieds ads are they don't appear in the 'view new posts' search field (no doubt I'm doing something wrong!)

I have a shortcut on my iPad that I press whenever i want to view the forum, and it takes me directly to the 'view new posts' page, so I never see the adverts that people have placed. I suspect a lot of people also view the forum in this way, hence why the number of views / posts on adverts has dropped so much, though this is purely supposition and probably wrong!

So far 13 out of 12k+ members have voted... ;)

I'll leave this poll running until the weekend, and whichever system is heading the poll will be deployed.

So far 13 out of 12k+ members have voted... ;)

Another couple of statistics for you :

Of the 12134 members here, 572 of them have visited the site since October 4th (ie in the past week). 978 of them have visited the site since September 12th (in the past month).

Many of the members who did visit may not have visited the 'Classified' section at all, although I can't say for sure how many, however what I can say is that since this 'Classified' thread started on September 6th, and up to 11.17 today (circa 35 days), it has had 1061 views, and 38 replies, which would suggest that most members haven't seen the arguments - and as it only went up yesterday, most members will be unaware that the poll exists.

To get a representative sample of opinion, I think you would need that extra 'No Preference' option, make sure that all the members are aware that their opinion is being sought, and to leave enough time to allow anyone who is interested to reply - say a week, perhaps.

Just my 2p worth!

Devils advocate and I might get sacked! but I prefer the old system. I've had probably 10 pm's asking why they can't post as they hadn't clocked it despite the announcement.

The odd post that gets out of hand aside I prefered the discussion element and that they come up in the view new posts along with the other posts.

After more thought about it all I decided after attempting to add pictures to a advert already placed and could not decided to change my vote and voted for the old system

Poll results are in - old classifieds sections will be re-created this week and the new module disabled.

Please re-create any adverts in the forum sections once they're re-created.

Poll results are in - old classifieds sections will be re-created this week and the new module disabled.

Please re-create any adverts in the forum sections once they're re-created.

I'm pleased to hear it, thanks for listening to us boss 8)