Tommo

Brake Fluid for daily and occasional track use

I'm slowly getting my car prepared for its first track outing, and when it comes to brake fluid i know i'll be wanting a DOT 4 (i think) but thats about it.

Can any one recomend any fluid cheap enough to change after every track day, that will still perform well on the track. I'll probably be doing 2-4 track days a year, so I obviously can't justify, all out fango dango super racing brake fluid cuz its just to expensive to be changed that often.

A benefit of the ATE Super Blue (or Gold) is that is not expensive yet works superbly. I had it in my VX220 for a year and 10 track events and never had any brake fade (with the right pads of course!!!). Those who came with me at Snetterton know that I really used the brakes on that car :)

It is a DOT 4 and shows that you don't necessarily need a DOT 5.1.

AP Racing Formula 5.1 is also a good fluid and can be found very cheaply. May well do the occasional track day but I would invest the few quid extra for the ATE stuff.

Never get DOT 5, BTW as it doesn't mix with 3, 4 or 5.1 at all!

I have to admit my experience is more with bikes than cars as a 528i auto touring aint going to cut it on a track. I do drive with enthusiasm and never cooked the brakes on the E39 (dot 5.1), where as the e34 525i did (on dot 4) but I cannot say what brand was put in, but it was always changed as per service schedule. Sounds like Retset has good experience and would be inclined to follow what he says....