Mark

To all the newbies :-)

Oh, I know you're right, a real license loser/tree wrapper. I've never even driven a rear wheel drive before, excluding a Legend at Knockhill. I am smiling like a freak and crapping myself at the prospect...

And an XXL hello to everyone from me. Been an owner for almost a year now, and been in love with the 5 since I was a kid. Especially the E34...

Mine's just a humble late 520i SE, but she never stops putting a smile on my face on a twisty road!

Hi to all, new here, had my 02 525d 3hrs when i was told had to get a new engine LOL, Something called the butterfly valve had broken on top of the piston. Thankfully had agreed with owner that I was bringing it to a mechanic to get a proper check and had to ring him. Thats my 5 series story so should have it back in 2 weeks. Its a 525d sport, fully loaded thats why im willing to wait.

Morgan

Im in mayo, picked it up yesterday, so delighted that i have it. Normally a VAG driver,have a Corrado G60 for weekends now, but always loved the E39 shape, always felt it was a classic looking shape, just gotta make a couple of changes to the car cause it was a local car and i have strangers waving, great to see the confused look when they see me driving :)

Morgan

Another newbie. Picked my first BMW (E28 520i auto '86) up on Saturday from Hatfield and drove it back to Nottinghamshire no problems. Wouldn't have dared do that with my previous motor (72 Triumph 2000). Seems like a natural progression - another 2 litre straight six and I think BMW still own the rights to the Triumph moniker!

Anyway car is zinobar (or however its spelt) red with a BMW full service history and 75k on the clock, very straight and rust free (apart from a couple of points either side of the boot shut where the rubber sits - break out the MIG). No sign of wet getting into the boot though and everywhere is rock solid.

Enjoying the sound of smooth refinement! Just needs a little fettling and maybe a set of 17's when the time comes to change the tyres.

Regards

Gavin

post-10103-1307420901031_thumb.jpg

hi all, I'm new to joining the forum but have been sniffing around in the background for a while!

Anyhow, recently picked up a 1990 M5 so thought I'd join up!

Cheers

Tom

Hello all, another newbie. I've been browsing this site for a while and finally remembered to join. This is an awesome site for info, much needed for older cars. My only car is a 1986 M535i (hardcore or mad? You decide...) with Getrag 265 overdrive manual, original block with refurb head (head gasket went and took the old head with it. Oops...) and some minor mods, mostly due to BMW parts prices or lack of availabilty of original bits. It's Arctic Blue metallic with traces of rust and some battle damage from an attempted break in and deflecting a riderless motorbike that was travelling at a rate of knots (they certainly don't make 'em like they used to!). It costs a fortune to maintain and repair, it drinks like Oliver Reed, it's worth a fraction of what I've spent on it, it's getting hard to find certain parts and people knowledgable on it, the bits that tend to break are often too complicated/inaccessable/heavy for home repair and it needs a complete brake system rebuild after my exploits at Castle Combe (at least I can fix that), but I'll run it until it reverts to raw iron. There's nothing quite like a sharknose with a big six in it. I've owned it for coming on four years and have picked up a reasonable bit of information and experience on E28 M535i's. I'm a member of the BMWCC (GB) too, so feel free to ask any questions and if I don't know the answer I may be able to find out for you. I would also like to find some fellow M535i owners as they are getting rare. I look forward to much foruming in the future (is "foruming" a real word?).

I would also like to find some fellow M535i owners as they are getting rare. I look forward to much foruming in the future (is "foruming" a real word?).

There are a few of us on here, and a few of us who track them too, Jamie (jam172) regularly tracks his E28 M5 too !

Get some pics up of the battlescarred beasty if you can :wink:

Hi Guys,

recently turned a corner in my young twenties and purchased my e39 530sport which i love. it has full BMW history up to its current mileage. last owner managed to clock up 30k in two years motorway mileage which isnt a problem for me, had all the senior techs at Coopers check it out for me and was told i would be stupid to let it go!

so i bought it, its fully loaded with the tv tuner and sat nav 16:9 screen, heated black leather seats. have already changed the grills to black ones as i prefer the black look and with the carbon fibre badges look well. it wears a nice pair of shoes being the 18" M Parallels which i will get refurbed in a slightly darker shade to contrast against the silver paintwork.

overall i love the car its great to drive.

my other BMW is my 325i which i also cherish as its a legendary e30, have spent a fair wad on restoring this but still a way to go since some 18 yr old twat rear ended it damaging the rear valance. im on the e30 zone too as Mikeyboy.

the only other toy i own is a 2008 Suzuki GSXR 600 which is a toy to use when the cars are resting.

Nice to be hear!!!

Hey Thanks for the welcome guys! Even if it a recording.... :)

Anyroad up, I stumbled across your site just now and as a happy owner of an E34 M60, I thought I'd join in the fun.

I'm a hotelier down here on the sunny Isle of Wight and hope to see you all here soon!!

Piccies of the NCAR will be posted as soon as the freaking sun comes out...

Bests

KimZ

Hi.

Just bought my first BMW in a moment of madness from eBay.

Rules of buying any second-hand car? Always speak to the owner, check reciepts, give it a test drive and a close inspection, etc, etc.

So, when my knackered old Laguna failed it's MOT and I went on eBay to find a sensible small diesel Fiesta (or similar), and saw a 1994 525TDS Tourer (a model I always liked the best) with 9 months MOT left on it, etc, with about 5 minutes left to go before the end of the auction, did I go through all those steps?

Nope, but the car is mine for £310. Picking it up on Saturday.

The car has tatty bodywork with some rust, a dinged front wing, one cloudy headlight, and a non-funtioning turbo actuator (turbo itself is fine apparently). Otherwise it is reported to be in good condition, having had a top-end engine overhaul (mechanic couldn't find an actuator but will fit it for free on collection). 4 good tyres, new discs and pads, dual sunroof, tow bar, air-con, and a CD multichanger.

Wish me luck!

Been to pick up the above-mentioned ebay purchase today.

Only I didn't.

I've never driven an E34, but I expected the steering to be reasonably light and responsive. This one literally felt like it was being driven on two flat tyres, as it was heavy and required a bit of a heft to get it to change direction- and it would feel like it was wandering off on its own. Steering was therefore done in a series of corrective 'jerks' rather than fluidly feeding in small amounts of movement (when travelling on more-or-less straight roads). When stationary there was an audible 'knock' when turning the wheel with the bonnet open.

Also, I was surprised by how cramped the driving position was for such a large car. I have long legs for a slightly sub-six footer, but I could not get the seat or the wheel adjusted so that my left leg did not contact the steering wheel when changing gear- perhaps there was something preventing the seat from sliding further back, eg obstruction in the runners, but I've been far more comfortable driving old Fiestas than in that BMW.

Given that I did not feel safe driving it even in town, I walked away.

In fairness to the vendor, the car's other faults were listed honestly, and indeed the bodywork looked worse in the photos than they did in the flesh, so to speak.

Are those faults normal?

Howdi all guess i,m a newbie then :( currently driving a 2005 535d e61 touring and had one bmw before that which was a 1994 525tds se salon and i have always loved them even putting up with the joke about bmw drivers not using indicators etc.,etc. really cool to be here looks like a good place for help and giving help if possible :lol: cheers all

hi everybody newbie tam here i am on to my 5th bemmer love em 1st was a e34520se great car untill the cam snaped at 70 on m/way sh*t myself. then a rust bucket of a e36318,then e36325 better car but had crap paint. i then got a e30 cabrio lovely but needs lots done am now on to the best by far e39/525ise minted, what a car. will post some pics soon as i can find out how lol. any tips on this