• Announcements

• sandip

Email notifications   06/09/2016

We are aware the email notifications are currently not working.  If you require any assistance related to receiving emails, please contact one of the admin team whilst we look to resolve this issue.   If you have any issues verifying your account, please contact one of the team on our Facebook page here https://www.facebook.com/groups/forum.bmw5/   Thanks Sandip 
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
platty

Replacement Key plus programming

9 posts in this topic

Hello guys,

I have 1 x remote locking key for the E39 but nothing else. The previous owner said that there was another "simple" key with which you could unlock the door (w/o central locking) and start the car. Although after 6 months he has now told me that he doesnt have it the *expletive* man.

I have spoken to BMW and they can provide a new "simple" key for between £20-£40 and then reprogram the immobiliser to recognise only my current key and the new key for £50 (probably 10 mins work!?).

The question is, do I need to be shafted by BMW or is there a cheaper/DIY method to do this?

Kind regards

Chris

I got my simple key from the dealer. It opens the car via the lock and starts it fine.

Think it was about £40 and does not require any coding.

Dan

I dont think they need coding as the chip in the key matches the ECU (whihc is why they can only come from the Dealer) but the remote locking part, a seperate function of the key, needs to be sync'd with the car - correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm pretty certain you are correct.

For remote operation, the key needs to be added onto the car

There are total of 10 keys preprogrammed for EWS. So ordered new (programmed at factory) key is one of them and works instantly. Old missing keys can be denied from the list of accepted keys.

Thanks for the replies guys. I had assumed that the new key would come pre-programmed for the car, my main concern was that the key which is unaccounted for can still open and drive the car (wherever it is?).

I didn't know if I could deny access to this key by another method other than BMW charging me 50 notes. I haven't got any diagnostic equipment for this car yet but this kind of job may be well out of its capabilities anyway?

Thanks

PA Soft BMW Scanner 1.4 have the capability to de-register old keys.